EXCLUSIVE! Bye, Bye 'Smallville' — Tom Welling Confirms Season Ten Will Be The Show's Last!

Wed, May 19, 2010 1:50pm EDT by 46 Comments

051910_smallville

It seemed like Smallville was superhuman, but the long-running CW show has finally found it’s kryptonite in cancellation after ten seasons!

Despite the fact that he plays Superman, Tom Welling never expected his series, Smallville, to last as long as it has. Even so, he confirmed that it’s finally time to hang up his cape!

“Season 10 of Smallville will be the last season” Tom told HollywoodLife.com exclusively at a party for Jerry Weintraub’s new book, “When I Stop Talking You’ll Know I’m Dead” at Barneys New York in Beverly Hills, Calif. May 18.

The 33-year-old actor also revealed what super acting skills he’s had to learn in order to pull off his Clark Kent character for so long. “The real test is when you own it onscreen,” Tom told us. “Once you think you have perfected things, you’ve got to keep practicing. There is always something to learn! It works for me and it will work for others”

It’s definitely sad that Smallville is coming to an end, but at least we have one more season to see Tom morph from geeky-cute Clark into studly Superman, look super-hot in Spandex tights and watch him fall in love with Lois (Erica Durance).

– Russell Weakland

Do you think Ashley Greene is hotter than … (Starpulse)

The minute you talk superhero movies … (Moviefone)

Check out these horrible celeb pet deaths! (The Frisky)

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Lincoln Quan

Posted at 8:14 PM on May 20, 2010

If Smallville got to end, let’s bring those cast that left the show for a climatic showdown. Certainly Lex Luthor would be the biggest, and worst nemesis to Clark Kent. Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk) returning to Smallville. The mysterious figure that went into Tess Mercer hospital room when she was confirmed dead. Jonathan Kent (John Schneider) back to tell Clark about his destiny at the Fortress would be awe inspiring. Of course bring the future Justice League guys back.

Lincoln Quan

Omaha Reader

Posted at 4:38 PM on May 20, 2010

I like this show but c’mon, it’s time… 10 seasons, that’s very very long for that kind of TV show… Nothing’s last forever… Good bye ‘Smallville’… will see ya’ on DVD’s…

DJBID

Posted at 11:53 AM on May 20, 2010

My first reaction is Tom Welling is 33.. that has to be a typo.. i would have lost that bet.
Being a fan of Smallville from the very first show. Only missing 2 episodes the entire run. I can truly say it’s been a pleasure to support a show for this long. And it’s the 3rd show of my 35 years of TV watching that i faithfully pushed aside all things to watch. Star Trek NG, Knight Rider, & now Smallville. So Kudos to the entire crew & cast, GREAT JOB!!!. I must say Kirsten Kruek (sorry if mispelled) is the fineist face i’ve seen on TV since Linda Carter..
I can’t say enough on how entertaining the show has been.. Ask my wife & 4 children. My oldest was 4 when it started, and they havn’t missed an episode (thank you DVR).
Happy trails to the cast and crew and look forward to seeing all of them on the big screen.

Gary

Posted at 10:02 AM on May 20, 2010

The Series may end, but rumor has it Smallville maybe slated for the big screen later in 2012

Edward

Posted at 8:33 PM on May 19, 2010

It’s time for the show. Superman needs to appear now in full form. The story line will have completed in long run of ten seasons. An incredible run for any show. Another Superman tv show will eventually appear, but Smallville will always be the best show of Superman’s boyhood.

Mr Ree

Posted at 7:07 PM on May 19, 2010

Tom Welling will always be my favorite Superman. No one has ever looked more like Superman come to life or embodied his attitude better. You will be sorely missed Tom.

Hamilton

Posted at 6:55 PM on May 19, 2010

Sorry Tom, you can’t hang up what you never put on. Smallville outgrew it title name a long time ago. as for Superman? He was never there! Clark was called The Red Blue Streak Or The Blur. It was fun while it lasted.

Yan

Posted at 6:53 PM on May 19, 2010

MAN OF STEEL , with Tom Welling in 2012 !!!!!

Michele Tate

Posted at 6:41 PM on May 19, 2010

I have been a fan of Smallville for the past 9 years and I
will be watching it for its final season. Not many series get to say they’ve been on this long. I am sure Tom Welling would like to be involved with other projects, so I am not surprised that he has decided this will be the last season.
Tom Welling has done a marvelous job with the Clark Kent character and for me there will never be a better person to play Superman. I hope that he would be willing to play the
part of Superman when they make the new movie. I also would
like to see Michael Rosenbaum to play Lex Luthor. Over the
years Tom Welling has made co-producer on the show and I am
sure we will see more of him….but only in front of the
camera. The actors, crew and writers should all be proud of
this wonderful series we’ve had to bring such enjoyment. It
would not surprise me if this show could have stayed on for
another 2 or 3 years. Hollywood needs to open their eyes to
see this wonderful sexy man they have in their mist. He can
certainly play a major role. Here’s to you Tom. Good luck
to all and let’s see this final season go out with a big
bang!!!!!! My family will definitely be lost without
having Smallville to watch…maybe they can have a spin-off
and keep some of the characters in another show. Wishful
thinking.

donna bennett

Posted at 6:39 PM on May 19, 2010

Tom Welling will indeed be missed,,one never knows the many directions,you will go……and what leaps and bounds he’ll pursue………..he, he,,,,,

TeamClois

Posted at 5:37 PM on May 19, 2010

I am a huge fan of Smallville & Tom Welling so hearing that Season 10 will be the last is bittersweet. I absolutely LOVE the story of Superman & being that Smallville is my fave. show, I wouldn’t mind if it continued on for several more seasons. I guess that’s wishful thinking on my part, but the last two seasons have been amazing! And Tom, he just seems to get better with age. He is definitely the best Clark Kent/Superman ever! I will definitely miss seeing him on television every week.

Rachael

Posted at 4:53 PM on May 19, 2010

OMG I’m going to cry so hard when Smallville ends. I love Tom Welling and I love Smallville. It’s been part of my life for going on 10 years! No one will every be able to replace Tom as Superman in my heart. I started watching in 8th grade. Since then, I’ve graduated high school AND college, moved away, and gotten a job. It’s huge when I stop to think about it.

Rachael

Posted at 4:49 PM on May 19, 2010

kay

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 19, 2010

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I’can’t live without Tom or Smallville

robert

Posted at 4:10 PM on May 19, 2010

I love Smallville and Tom Welling and all the character’s and stories, i’am one sad guy today finding out that the 10th season will be the last to me it could and can go to a season 11, 12, maybe even 13. There is so many stories and places to go.
I WILL MISS THE SHOW, smallville is the best show ever and nothing will ever compare or come close to to it.
OMG. . . i CAN’T BELIVE THIS

Cara

Posted at 4:03 PM on May 19, 2010

I love Tom Welling so much! Best Superman ever. I will be so upset when the show is done.

Edin

Posted at 3:22 PM on May 19, 2010

Hey, if you have heard for E.R Tv Show, it has 15 Seasons. Smallville could have that much as well.

I think that it depends of the fans, because the more fans it have the more money will earn and they will decide to continue it to Season 11 and maybe more.

I am a great fan of Smallville and I know that the Show has to end once, but there is much more to tell, and there should be more Seasons.

If by accident any of people have something with this Show, producer, text writer, camerman, DIRECTOR maybe…if any of you read this by any accident I want to let you know that Smallville changed life to many people especially teenagers, when people look at Tom Welling – Clark Kent they have an example of a person who is doing everything in its power to make this world a better place.

Regards from Montenegro one of the states of former Yugoslavia.

Karen

Posted at 2:39 PM on May 19, 2010

This show was still on?

shelby

Posted at 2:28 PM on May 19, 2010

how was it canceled? if anything, the cw would love to milk it for Season 11 and beyond. they didnt cancel it, its just ending if the story is true. there is a big difference. if they all decided not to do a season 11, than its not canceled, they’re just done.

BlackHeart

Posted at 2:27 PM on May 19, 2010

The next superman movie should be a natural coninuation of the Smallville series, with Tom in the lead. He is the best fit for the Superman character that I’ve seen.

BlackHeart

Posted at 2:25 PM on May 19, 2010

I understand if they want to move on to other things, but this really saddens me. This is one of only 2 shows left on TV that I watch regularly. Everybody in my house watches it. It will be sorely missed.

camycats

Posted at 2:24 PM on May 19, 2010

FYI….Mr. Weakland, I agree with others here to say that “cancellation” wouldn’t be the right word to describe Smallville’s last season, but appropriately say that Season 10 will be it’s “last” season, series finale. The show has definitely turned around in the last 2 seasons to finally show what should be told by now in the Clark Kent –> Superman storyline. I’m sure lots of fans will be disappointed not to see Tom Welling continue to play the character. He will be missed, especially onscreen. But they have steered into the direction that Clark Kent has to be in now to fulfill his destiny—finally! By the way, did Tom Welling comment about actually “being in tights”??? Hmm….don’t think he was ever fond of that idea so it’s a wonder now how they’ll play out that part of him actually transitioning into the red, blue and yellow. ;D Thanks for the info, not “great” news fans want to hear, but good to hear of any updates. Oh yeah, and if you have pictures of seeing him at that Beverly Hills event, please do share them as well. Much appreciated! <3

mrecate

Posted at 2:11 PM on May 19, 2010

its not going to be cancelled its just gonna be there last season!! smallville’s too good to be cancelled!! its just that some stories have to end.. sad but hey im gonna see tom welling in spandex!! wohooo!!

mario

Posted at 1:47 PM on May 19, 2010

if they wanted it to cancel it. they would have done so already before.

mario

Posted at 1:46 PM on May 19, 2010

more likely a series finale not a cancellation. sure they know that season 10 probably would have been its last. but yeah its more of a series finale than a cancellation if you ask me.