The Judges Song Selections For Crystal, Casey & Lee Suck! What Are Simon Cowell & Co. Thinking?

Mon, May 17, 2010 5:10pm EST by 9 Comments
Courtesy of Fox

Courtesy of Fox

The remaining three American Idol hopefuls will be singing two songs each tomorrow night — and hopefully their own picks are better than the crud the judges chose!

I can’t even tell you how disappointed I am in music ‘professionals’ Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi and Randy Jackson (fourth American Idol judge Ellen DeGeneres gets a pass since she’s mostly there for entertainment purposes). Just wait until you hear the sappy pap they’ve selected for Casey James, Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze to sing during contestant/judge’s choice song week, and just try to tell me you’re impressed with their picks!

Cranky Cowell, 50, is always banging on about picking ‘the right song.’ He did, in fact, pick a great song for Lee, 24 — Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” — but which also happens to be a tune already sung this season, by Teflon Tim Urban. This is also THE song that made darling dreadlocked hippie Jason Castro stand out during season 7. Play again, Simon.

As for Ellen, 52, I’m sorry, but her song selection is a travesty in the making. She chose Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed” for Crystal, 24. Mama Sox rocks, but there’s just no way she can make this snoozefest of a song interesting.

Proof that two minds thinking alike isn’t such a great thing: Kara and Randy’s joint pick for Casey, 27…John Mayer’s make-me-want-to-gag-it’s-so-cheesy tune, “Daughters.” Come on! Do they WANT to kill Casey’s sex appeal? Because if anything can do it, it’s this song. Instead, K&R should have had the Texan croon Mayer the Player’s “Your Body Is A Wonderland.” Although Kara, 39, might have taken some flak for being a pervy cougar, and least the tune wouldn’t be an assault on my eardrums.

But what SHOULD the contestants sing? Here are my picks for the final three contestants. Weigh in and let me know what your suggestions are!

Casey James

John Mayer, “Your Body Is A Wonderland”
Damn Yankees, “High Enough”
The Script, “Breakeven”

Crystal Bowersox

Melissa Etheridge, “I’m the Only One”
Beth Hart, “World Without You”
Leona Lewis’ version of Snow Patrol’s “Run”

Lee DeWyze

U2, “One”
Cat Stevens, “The First Cut Is The Deepest”
Green Day, “21 Guns”

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

bea

Posted at 8:23 AM on May 19, 2010

Casey does not deserve to go home AT ALL. Both his songs were great. Maybe not the best songs choices but he sang them perfectly. and that’s what matters.
On the other hand Crystal did not sing well the first song and the second one was fine but definitely not great .. and to be honest I did not like her songs’ choices, either. But the judges are pushing for Lee/Crystal FINALE. WHat a boring finale this year …. miss Adam so much!!!!!
Lee deserves to be in the final, still stiff though. Just imagine a concert of his…stiff, and reluctant and shy …. far away from David Cook.
And on top of all, if last year Kris Allen won, why shouldn’t Casey take the title home??? Compared to Kris, Casey is millions time better. Isn’t he???

getbacktowork

Posted at 1:59 AM on May 19, 2010

okay. casey needs to go home now. love him, but he is just nowhere near crystal and lee. odd that crystal’s melissa ethridge song was somehow lame… right? but ellen totally nailed it with the paul mccartney song. crystal rocked that. lee’s own song choice, simple man, was also fantastic. i didn’t get the raves over hallelujah. it was just okay for me. but, lee is incredible. i’m sold on him now.

galey

Posted at 11:44 AM on May 18, 2010

Maybe the song choice’s are just a “test” to see what they can do with them?????? Otherwise, I don’t understand the choices either. Idol is going down the perverbial tube anyway in my opinion.

Manda

Posted at 6:50 PM on May 17, 2010

Lol, Hollywood life is very predictable in their song choices. These judges know better what they pick and I agree with them. For kinky only you’ll go for your body is a wonderland in the finals. Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed” is fantastic, thank you. Hallelujah song can be sung in alternative ways so its up to the singer to make their own version out of it. hats a touchie but usually toughie’s sort through.

scarla

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 17, 2010

Simon’s also always banging on about being CURRENT but he’s fast becoming the Tom Jones of the elevator music scene…”It’s Not Unusual” to pick some horrid old-fashioned drek. Jason Castro owns that song on the Idol stage….try googling for a few new ideas Simon…..and Ellen….I’ll bet
poor Crystal really is “Amazed”…….at her bad luck that is.

For me…for Crystal….a bluesy Bonnie Raitt!!!

gbtw

Posted at 5:10 PM on May 17, 2010

lol… right on… but, i love tom jones! lol…

gbtw

Posted at 4:37 PM on May 17, 2010

i am equally aghast at ellen’s pick for crystal- and, i’m wondering why the ONE non-professional was allowed to choose a song all by herself, whereas randy and kara had to team up? don’t get me wrong, i don’t like kara and think it’s funny that she didn’t get a solo pic (slap in the face for her haughty attitude), but with that choice ellen made- she may just have lost the competition for crystal. OR, crystal will do something SO funky with that song that we’ll all look like fools for second guessing ellen… i sure hope so, but, don’t believe it. i can’t wait to hear what simon says on air about the song choice! as for casey’s song- well, i could do without any john mayer being sung, but, if it has to be done, that song will appeal to his cougar audience, so maybe it’s not as bad as you think. cougars have kids, at least, i guess they do- right?

scarla

Posted at 7:14 PM on May 17, 2010

There’s a slowed-down version by a singer named Jem of “Maybe I’m Amazed”…it’s real pretty. I think if Crystal does an acoustic version she’ll be all right, but then she needs ROCK OUT…Laura’s Melissa Ethridge would be a good choice.

Don’t really care what the boys do….they’re just not FINALE good.

gbtw

Posted at 8:38 PM on May 17, 2010

okay, i’m crossing my fingers for crystal! but, thankfully, i actually like the guys all right, so, i don’t want crystal gone, but i won’t be devastated if she doesn’t make it to the next round. it’s not like last season where i thought i’d slit my wrists if i had to watch danny gokey for one more moment on stage…