EXCLUSIVE VIDEO! Ashley Greene Says She Had No Self-Esteem Growing Up — But Here’s How She Got It!

Fri, May 14, 2010 1:20pm EDT by 6 Comments
Loading video...

Like many girls, Ashley had no confidence as a kid. Hear her tell YOU what you can do to gain self-belief!

Believe it or not, the gorgeous Ashley Greene wasn’t always so fabulous or confident. In fact, the Twilight Saga: Eclipse starlet revealed that she had zero self-esteem growing up last night while picking up the Style Icon of the Year trophy at our Young Hollywood Awards. Here’s how Ashley gained the confidence to make her feel like the star she really is!

“My mom put me in etiquette and modeling courses to get my self-esteem up,” the 23-year-old actress admitted after confessing her former unconfident self to HollywoodLife.com May 13, while lounging in a row of JetBlue‘s jet-tastic leathery seats backstage. “That helped a little bit, and then I got into acting. When I found something I loved so much and thought I was good at…[I realized] I could use the bad things people said or did before in my acting career.”

She added, “I don’t know when the flip switched, but I said, ‘You know what? I’m going to do what makes me happy, and if everybody else doesn’t like, then I don’t know what to tell them.”

Ashley and her former self are a world apart these days, and she knows and loves who she is now that she’s found her outlet. “Now that I know myself, who I am and what I want…it’s transformed my life.”

– Laura Schreffler

Read More on the Gorgeous Greene Girl:

1. EXCLUSIVE INFO! Ashley Greene, You’re Becoming Quite the Cover Girl!
  2. Pulled Back or Down and Tousled, How Do You Like Ashley Greene’s Hair?
  1. Holly Who Knew: Ashley Greene Wears the Same Brands As You!
  2. Here’s the Secret to Ashley Greene’s Gorgeous Dolce & Gabbana Emerald Eyes!

scarla

Posted at 4:23 PM on May 15, 2010

She’s a beautiful girl and a super talent !! Was interesting to hear her reflect on her insecurities growing up…I think we’ll be seeing a lot of Ashley Greene!

Ben Emosivbe

Posted at 10:13 AM on May 15, 2010

I’m sorry that you didn’t get enough compliment at home and you’re seeking one. I’m not gonna spend my time trying to pop up your confidence by asserting how beautiful you are. Ben Emosivbe

carlista

Posted at 11:58 PM on May 14, 2010

She blinked a lot, she kept touching her face. She wasn’t all that comfortable yet. But kudos for her self-esteem boost.

Rose

Posted at 10:32 PM on May 14, 2010

Thanks so much to Ashley Greene for those words of wisdom!

gbtw

Posted at 1:43 PM on May 14, 2010

i feel very moved by this story and this young woman! what a great job her mother did!

Candice Dilts

Posted at 10:38 PM on May 14, 2010

I have to agree with Ashley i was in this big shell and i was quiet and keept to my self and my friends were all trying out for the school play and i was not sure if i wanted to do it and my mom said go for it and now u would never really no it acting is a wonderful thing on any level civic is great and so is school i don’t have expearience higher than that unfortunitly but if it could help open me up i thhink it could help a lot of people so it is nice to hear the same thing form Ashley!!!!