EXCLUSIVE! Crystal Bowersox Admits Melissa Etheridge Is Her Musical Influence!

Wed, May 12, 2010 12:43pm EDT by 11 Comments

Courtesy of Fox

Courtesy of Fox

Consider this my official bid for a season finale selection, Crystal! I want to hear you sing like your doppelganger!

Crystal Bowersox has faithfully been my favorite American Idol contestant this season. Her voice is husky and flawless, her stage presence is comfortable and assured — and she has always remained true to herself. But now I have one more reason to love the 24-year-old Elliston, Ohio native — she’s honest and without any of the arrogance that comes with burgeoning fame.

While chatting with the four remaining contestants in the American Idol green room May 11, I asked which artist they considered themselves to be most like. While the guys — Michael Lynche, Lee DeWyze and Casey James — huffed and puffed that they were ‘true originals’ (please), Crystal was confident enough to admit that she IS influenced by one particular artist: Melissa Etheridge.

“A lot of artists influence me,” she told me exclusively, but added, “I would have to say that my favorite is Melissa Etheridge, and it comes through in the music. We have similar life stories — the small town, farm-girl thing and moving on up and making our own ways in the world. I try to emulate her, but I still very much do my own thing.”

For the duration of this season, fans have been fervently hoping that Mama Sox would do a sexy, bluesy Melissa song. Consider this my plea, Crystal — I NEED to hear you sing “I’m The Only One” before this season is through!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Karen

Posted at 3:40 PM on May 14, 2010

“While the guys — Michael Lynche, Lee DeWyze and Casey James — huffed and puffed that they were ‘true originals’ (please)”

LOL, these dudes!

I’d love to hear Crystal sing “I’m the Only One”!

Melissa

Posted at 2:44 PM on May 12, 2010

I agree, Crystal is a true artist. I’ve liked her from the beginning also, but Come to My window..naaaaaaah, I’ve been singing that one in cover bands for so long I’m sick of it. Melissa has some really amazing tunes that Crystal could choose but not that way one pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease I beg you!!! Cheers!!!

Wendi

Posted at 2:53 PM on May 12, 2010

“I’m the only one” and “come to my window” are 2 completely different songs which if you sang in a cover band you’d know that already

gbtw

Posted at 8:42 PM on May 12, 2010

LOL… I was trying to figure that one out myself! I thought I was woefully out of touch.

MAGOOS

Posted at 1:51 PM on May 12, 2010

Disagree! Bowersox is numb onstage and her voice is Sixties with a dash of Joplin. The remaining males are literally so-so with DeWyze marginally ahead. The only true talent was Siobahn; I guess viwers find it hard to recognise that after the blah they have been offered on TV these days.

gbtw

Posted at 8:45 PM on May 12, 2010

disagree and am offended by the righteous attitude. i loved the aretha siobhan, but the chorus teacher siobhan, not so much. being original and diverse and not allowing yourself to be pinned down is one thing, but being so all over the place that nobody has any idea wtf you are, is another. she has a ton of potential and personality, but she still needs a lot of development as an artist. we’re not all just idiots just b/c we disagree with you. please. have some respect for people with opinions other than your own.

Elisa

Posted at 1:04 PM on May 12, 2010

Casey and Crystal shoild be the top 2

galey

Posted at 12:55 PM on May 12, 2010

Sorry, I don’t agree. I don’t care for Crystal’s stage presence – always sounds pretty much the same to me and she’s flippant and I can’t stand dreadlocks! My choice is Lee Dewyze – GO LEE!!

gbtw

Posted at 8:49 PM on May 12, 2010

i love crystal but do get scared when she gets that borderline flippant attitude… i also hate dreds, particularly on people with naturally straight hair. it’s totally antithetical to what it’s supposed to represent- carefree living, right… the work that it takes to put straight hair into dreads is CRAZY. that said, i love crystal’s sound and she can do close to no wrong in my eyes. she’s a good person, and my only wish for her is that sometimes she would show a little more emotion… she’s a little too safe and contained, hiding behind her guitar sometimes.

bev

Posted at 7:35 PM on May 24, 2010

OMG!!! PEOPLE ARE YOU WATCHING THE SAME SHOW I’M WATCHING. SHE PUT DOWN HER GUITAR, JUST LAST WEEK. I HOPE IF YOU HAVE CHILDERN AND THEY ARE DIFFERENT , GOD I HOPE YOU DON’T TALK ABOUT THEM LIKE YOU DO CRYSTAL. POOR KIDS. SHE IS A BEAUTIFUL PERSON IN GODS EYES AND I LOVE HER.

bev

Posted at 7:28 PM on May 24, 2010

You talk about Cystal, what about Lee all he does is stand behind the mic and hides behide his guitar. Who took all the risk last week. This will be a joke just like last year.Let him win, but sit back and watch crystal fly.