EXCLUSIVE Behind-The-Scenes: Casey James Says He Didn't Pick 'Mrs. Robinson' To Appeal To Cougars…Or Kara!

Wed, May 12, 2010 10:33am EDT by 17 Comments
Courtesy of Fox, Getty Images

Courtesy of Fox, Getty Images

I got the inside scoop on what the Idols really thought of their movie week performances – and contrary to popular belief, Casey did NOT craftily choose said song to appeal to his older fan base!

There were some chuckles (OK, a lot of them) when Casey James picked Simon & Garfunkle’s “Mrs. Robinson” as his song of choice during movie week. And although he’s been the obvious object of 39-year-old judge Kara DioGuardi’s affection since day 1, the sexy 27-year-old swears his selection wasn’t a sly bid to woo his older fans – including Kara.

“I picked the song because I love the song,” the Texas native said from the American Idol green room, where we were hanging out post-show May 11. “I thought when I picked it, I thought it was funny because of the cougars but that wasn’t why I picked the song.”

He added of being typecast as a boy toy, “I think everybody has got something they’ve talked about more often than not. I took my shirt off to get through to the Hollywood round, so I can’t really complain, you know? It is what it is. I’m just happy to be here.”

I’m happy Casey’s still around, too. Not because his performance was so amazing (it was quirky at best), but because he really is genuine, cool and calm. Immediately after settling down to chat, he kicked off his cowboy boots and hunkered down to relax. There was no affectation and star power clearly hasn’t gone to his head yet (which I can’t say for Michael Lynche – the guy reeks of arrogance).

He’s accepted his pretty boy status and makes no admissions for it, even laughing when Mike, 26, said of their duet to Bryan Adams’ “To Really Love A Woman”, “The only thing that differed from my vision [of our performance was] they switched sides to give Casey’s hair a better camera angle.”

When asked the great hair question – how does he choose whether to leave it flowing or in a ponytail – he shrugged and answered, “I think if I’m rocking out a song, I like to have it down, I guess.”

But don’t pigeonhole him as any other kind of artist. Casey told HollywoodLife.com exclusively that he doesn’t want to be defined as “anyone but himself.”

Think he’s into himself if you will, but I think he just really knows and likes who he is. He’s confident, and what’s wrong with that?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Rolland Sodergren

Posted at 12:38 PM on November 6, 2010

Wow! For a nice and seeking yahoo and google all day because of this and i eventually thought it was here!

William Dwyer

Posted at 9:08 PM on May 13, 2010

Let’s stop pretending here, eh. Idol is nothing more than a popularity contest and has zero to do with the actual talent of the contestants. It has been that way since it’s birth. This year or last for that matter wasn’t the first time fans have felt an unfair bias from the judges to get certain ppl through to the end. Again, this has happened every year.

Specifically for Casey, he chose a song. Who cares why. It’s a popularity contest remember? The idea is to get as many votes as you can to advance. That’s what it really comes down to, right? How many fans you have. If you have more, your going to win, period. It has nothing to do with talent. But if a certain song can give you more votes, you pick it. No matter what.

mimi

Posted at 12:10 PM on May 13, 2010

It is about the people voting or is it not? I wonder sometimes????

Elisa

Posted at 1:21 PM on May 12, 2010

Casey was great last night. The judges are so obvious with there blatant bias against him. Too me its so wierd because Lee sounded awful last night and the judges sort of called him out by saying “Oh that was pitchy but your still great” What was that about ??? Besides the fact that Lee never really sounds all that good plus the fact he has zero charisma. Casey and Crystal should be in the top 2 but its quite apparent the judges want to get rid of him in a bad way. The question here is WHY??? I have never seen such blantant pimping of a medicore conestant. All this Lee love from the judges is ridiclious. If he was that great and a unique singer then I would say I understood, but common he’s like a wanna be David Cook.

Sherry

Posted at 2:35 PM on May 12, 2010

I agree wholeheartedly about the judges unfair bias against Casey in order to influence who is in the top two. I noticed this trend last year. Casey is talented, great musician and humble. Sure, not all of his performances were great but he got slammed even during good performances
While nothing against Lee or Crystal, they have had subpar performances and they get a judges pass. This should be about the people voting, not who the judges/producers think should win or be marketable. They are out of touch in that case. And out of all the contestants, Casey never talks back or anything to the judges. He displays class despite they’re cruelty and bias. Personally, Casey’s the winner this season no matter the outcome. I would rather buy his cd, download Jealous Guy or Don’t than any other performance of the most wanted final two Lee/Crystal any day.

mimi

Posted at 12:08 PM on May 13, 2010

It is about the people voting or is it not???? I wonder sometimes???

Lucy O

Posted at 10:35 AM on May 14, 2010

I totally agree Sherry’s comment. Casey is absolutely gorgeous and has unique talent to attract many many viewers.
The judges didn’t give good words about his looks. He was very handsome and more calm looks with the beautiful green jacket he wore on the show. I missed Paula. She would give him good words to him. No matter what the outcome will be, Casey is real Idol of this year. I will vote next Tuesday full 2 hrs for Casey.
God Bless Him!!!

mimi

Posted at 11:53 AM on May 12, 2010

Casey S O L = sing out loud…..you are the packet….the American Idol!!!

mindy

Posted at 9:43 AM on May 12, 2010

WOW! He looked and sounded great! I know he’ll make to the top 3.

scarla

Posted at 8:38 AM on May 12, 2010

I hope Casey sticks around for the final 3. He seems like a ‘cool’ guy from Cool, Texas and a few more ‘quirky’ tunes would be all right.

PJ

Posted at 7:13 AM on May 12, 2010

He just exudes American Idol whether talent wise or personality.

robin

Posted at 2:56 AM on May 12, 2010

Casey nailed it tonight. Superb vocals. The way he changed up the song at the midpoint, what he did with the melody on the third of the final “those who pray,” it was amazing. He’s got a killer voice — gave me chills!

CoolCJFan

Posted at 9:40 AM on May 12, 2010

I agree. I wanted him to keep singing…and he looked really good in that blue jacket!!

I also agree with Laura about Casey’s confidence. He’s been doing this for a living for several years and he has a love for music, not fame. He just “wants to be able to support himself and a family doing what he loves”. He is so appreciative of where he’s at right now and he has a very humble attitude towards all of it, I honestly don’t see why anyone would think he is arrogant.

Karen

Posted at 2:42 AM on May 12, 2010

Eh. He still bores me. I’m probably in the minority when I say that I’d rather have Big Mike in the top three. I still need to watch the performances from tonight though to see if I’ll change my mind though.

Sammie

Posted at 1:33 AM on May 12, 2010

Casey rocked it! Voted for him and will support him all the way!

Sam

Posted at 10:33 AM on May 12, 2010

I think Casey is the real deal. He is who he is and nice to look at too. I was disappointed a bit when the judges saved big Mike. Not that they saved him but that he acted as if he
was supposed to get it. I don’t even think he said thank you to them after he got the news on stage. I could be wrong. Isn’t he the one who’s father spilled the beans on his making it to the top 12 or 24 and he almost got kicked off for that?
Lee has sure come a long way with his confidence and so has Crystal.

shar40

Posted at 11:22 AM on May 12, 2010

Yes and Lee is getting a bit in love with himself. I do not like how is tried to over sing Crystal last nite on the duet. It sounded like a screaming match before it was over. It reall ruined it for me. Loved Casey song and the duet. He was playing a spanish guitar which made it even prettier. That is why Casey needs to be in first or second as he has more talent than Lee or Mike. The use the guitar as thing to hold. They are not really plalyers.