Please, Please, PLEASE Do Not Let The ‘Idols’ Sing Celine Dion During Movie Night!

Tue, May 11, 2010 1:38pm EDT by 14 Comments

Casey, Crystal, Lee and Mike will sing songs from the movies tonight — but if they sing anything from Titanic, I’m turning off my TV!

Every single year, without fail, some silly singer thinks they can take on Celine Dion or Mariah Carey. Well guess what kids? You can’t (unless you’re Adam Lambert, of course). So please, stop picking songs from female vocalists that have dog-whistle voice ranges. My heart will NOT go on if choose Celine’s power ballad. In fact, I’ll stop voting for you!

Hopefully mentor Jamie Foxx is telling you all go the Kris Allen route. For those of you that remember, the season 8 winner totally killed it last year with his rendition of Oscar-winning song “Falling Slowly” from Once. I need that again! I need some originality, some feeling!

All four remaining contestants are capable of showing that raw emotion. ‘Big’ Mike Lynche is superb at singing girls songs, Casey James is good when he’s got his guitar, Lee DeWyze is great when he goes gruff and Crystal Bowersox, well, she just rocks all the time, regardless of what she’s singing.

But if not Celine, Mariah or Whitney, what SHOULD the contestants sing this tonight, May 11? Here are my picks…let me know if you agree with my choices!

Crystal Bowersox: Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” from Say Anything

Lee DeWyze: Bryan Adam’s “Everything I Do (I Do It For You)”, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Casey James: The Beatles’ “Twist & Shout”, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Michael Lynche: Dusty Springfield’s “Son Of A Preacherman”, Pulp Fiction

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get more on the hottest reality show in America!:

1. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  2. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  3. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  4. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  5. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Follow HollywoodLife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

mimi

Posted at 11:53 AM on May 13, 2010

Yeah so 3 left …casey still there…..now you have a chance ????

louise77

Posted at 6:23 PM on May 11, 2010

David Cooke kicked major butt when he did a Mariah Carey’s “I’ll Always Be Your Baby”. It is one of Mariah’s girliest songs but he made it rock.

linda

Posted at 3:52 PM on May 11, 2010

I agree with Andy. If Casey does another fast song like Twist & Shout; he will be ripped to shreds. He should do something slow so that Kara can overannunciate every word and point out “how he’s found his nitch again” PUKE! And if Lee sings Phil Collins, I’ll puke again..

It’s a Lee Lovefest these past few weeks with the judges so I have no clue who will sing what but am curious to see how it all goes down.

scarla

Posted at 3:39 PM on May 11, 2010

OK…here are my picks since I complained about yours.

1. Crystal-Save Me (Aimee Mann/Magnolia)
2. Casey- Blaze of Glory (Bon Jovi/Young Guns II)
3. Lee- The Wrestler (Springsteen)
4. Big-Mike- When You Believe(Whitney + Mariah) :)

getbacktowork

Posted at 1:05 AM on May 12, 2010

love love LOVE the blaze of glory choice for casey! course- he didn’t do it, but still would’ve loved that.

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:18 PM on May 11, 2010

First off all, YUCK to your Adam Lambert comment. No one should tackle Celine… esp. Adam (*cough* poser *cough*)

I’m OK with your selections, but the judges would rip on Casey so bad if he did “Twist & Shout.”

Here are the movie themes I would love to see:

1. Lee – Phil Collins’ “You’ll Be In My Heart” (Tarzan)

2. Casey – Seal’s “Kiss From A Rose” (Batman Forever)

3. Crystal – The Dixie Chicks’ “Not Ready to Make Nice (their documentary Shut Up and Sing)

4. Mike – IDGAF what he does … he’s going home lol

gbtw

Posted at 7:36 PM on May 11, 2010

lol! i love all these choices (esp mike’s- hope you’re right!) and would DIE to hear crystal put her emotion behind ‘not ready to make nice’! (how about if siobhan did that a week after they slammed her the first time. that would’ve been a performance.) i’d love to hear casey do the seal/batman song, but someone did a spiderman theme song, right, and got busted for it (i believe simon said, ‘it’s a song about a spider, right’? which was ridiculous- but casey can’t afford to take those chances right now!)

scarla

Posted at 11:19 PM on May 11, 2010

Some pretty boring tunes there tonight Andy, but you’re actually the official winner in the song selection contest with “Kiss From A Rose”….for me though, it should be the ‘kiss of death’ for Lee. Painful…….

scarla

Posted at 3:03 PM on May 11, 2010

I don’t know Laura, sorry, but those song selections suck. Nothing there to excite like “Falling Slowly” and seriously Bryan Adams has been overdone on Idol as much as the ‘Divas’. Please tell me what that poor ‘bleating lamb’ Casey ever did to deserve “Twist and Shout” ??? I guess you’re just getting us ready for something real bad tonight. Given those choices,I’ll watch Dancing With The Stars. As much as I hate Big-Mike, I’d rather he take on Celine, Mariah or Whitney….like you said, he loves girly songs. At least it would be entertaining to see his ego unleashed again.

VEEJAY

Posted at 2:21 PM on May 11, 2010

WELL….I think you should switch the tunes u picked for Crystal and Mike and Casey needs something sexier…maybe switch him and Lee??? Now THAT would be intresting! But in the end I bet none of your picks make it cause they’ll ALL want to sing something fantastic and current!

gbtw

Posted at 1:49 PM on May 11, 2010

Laura! okay, where to begin? first, i whole-heartedly agree on the whitney/celine stuff. notably, when siobhan chose something along these lines towards her end (what was the song- i think it was when she wore the butterfly dress)- that’s when i said, i just can’t vote for her anymore. the end. now, as for your song choices above- think these are all good songs, EXCEPT, ‘twist and shout’ for casey! WHAT?! that guy is on the way out unless america falls in love/lust with him tonight… twist and shout ain’t gonna cut it! are you trying to send him home? i love THE SONG you chose for big mike, but the idea of him singing it makes me want to run and hide under the bed… NO, NO, NO… the lounge and fake acting will be beyond bearable. lord help me. plus, i’m not sure the guys should be singing a song about lusting after the son of a preacher man (that’s what it’s about, right?)… could any of those particular men make that believable? not in my opinion… do love the song though. maybe mike can do twist and shout- i’m sick of his cry baby act, so a fun song might be a nice change, and if it’s not, maybe it’ll be just enough to finally send him packing. as for the “dog whistle” reference… i have only heard that from one other person, ever… and immediately stole it for my own. did you still it from me (really, her)? :)

Cady

Posted at 12:48 PM on May 11, 2010

Looking forward to watching my girl Crystal tonight! Bah but if the judges are going to nitpick her again for being so awesome just to prove that there is some semblance of competition going on, I’m sooo going to get real pissy!

mimi

Posted at 11:30 AM on May 12, 2010

I dont know anymore – I think it is getting worse and worse…….

mimi

Posted at 11:36 AM on May 12, 2010

….though I woted for casey, he is an excellent musician, and his looks …..the packet for American Idol???maybe???…I cannot see how Krystal, Lee or Mike could be an Idol af America????