She fell in love with Zac Efron in Hairspray, and now Nikki is going for a ‘Huge’ career change as the star of her own ABC Family series!
Nikki Blonsky — better known as Hairspray’s pleasantly plump, fame-seeking teen Tracy Turnblad, is back and better than ever as the star of ABC Family’s new series, Huge. The 21-year-old actress plays Will, an overweight teen sent to weight-loss camp by her parents in a show that’s already being touted as Ugly Betty meets Glee. Sweet! Although there’s no Zac Efron, prepare yourself to see Nikki spar with David Hasselhoff’s 17-year-old daughter, Hayley when the show premieres this June. Until then, check out a few things you may not have realized about Nikki!
Six things you never knew about Nikki Blonsky!
- The most amazing celebrity encounter [I’ve ever had] was when Brad [Pitt] and Angelina [Jolie] told me their kids love Hairspray at the 2008 SAG Awards. They said that they watch it a lot — and that meant the world to me.
- My ultimate goal is to continue being on TV and film…and to buy my parents a house.
- I don’t think you need to be stick thin to make it in Hollywood. I think you need to be yourself.
- I nearly passed out when Angela Lansbury and Liza Minelli told me they saw [Hairspray].
- My perfect guy would have to be a lot like my dad! My dad is the funniest person in the world to me. He’d have to be really caring and loving and giving…and he’d have to be funny. Looks don’t matter in my department.”
- I’m like my [Huge] character, Will. We’re both very confident in our bodies and our minds. We both kind of know what we want and we know how to get it.