EXCLUSIVE! Lee DeWyze Believes He Has A Chance To Win ‘American Idol’ & He Can Count Me As A Believer, Too!

Sun, May 9, 2010 4:30pm EDT by 25 Comments
Courtesy of Fox

Courtesy of Fox

While we were hanging out in LA, Lee said he actually believes he has a shot at winning American Idol — which is a big change from the shy, unconfident guy I was expecting!

Never, ever would I have thought that I would be hanging out with the four remaining Idol hopefuls, let alone be joking around and becoming pals with them! But today stars aligned in my favor, and I got to hang with Lee DeWyze, Crystal Bowersox, Big Mike Lynche and Casey James at the American Idol Studio in LA. Sweet!

Betters are predicting a Lee/Crystal finale, and I can see why: the guy is utterly devoid of ego, but so cool and collected. When he talked about his future as a winner, it sounded like he really BELIEVED (finally!) good things will happen.

“The thing is, there are so many talented musicians and artists out there. Us four have been given such an opportunity and I am grateful for it, and it feels amazing. I can’t wait to see what the next thing, because it is all new to everybody,” the 24-year-old said May 7. “We never know what the next thing is going to be in the grand scheme of things, for me being here is like, just wait for the next thing, whatever that is you know. So, its amazing!”

The coolest part for me (dawg) was seeing that, although he has this great opportunity and will most definitely have a successful career in music, Lee is still just a normal dude. Before being led into the studio to chat with reporters Friday, Lee struck up a random conversation with me, quipping, “How is the outside world these days!!”

During our chat, Lee seemed antsy, playing the drums on his knees, before issuing me a challenge I couldn’t refuse. “I’ll give you $500 dollars right now if you can pick up this piece of metal with one hand,” he said. Unfortunately, I wasn’t that strong (neither was he) and we had a good laugh about our weakness.

But to me, that kind of sums up Lee. He’s not afraid to reveal his insecurities, which makes him more of a confident contender than anyone really realizes. In fact, his shy normalcy reminds me of Carrie Underwood‘s refreshing honesty before SHE won American Idol – and look what she’s gone on to do!

Oh yeah, and ‘m sure you’re wondering how the other Idols were behind-the-scenes. Let’s just say this: my impression from Casey James is that he thinks he’s going home next week, Big Mike Lynch is getting a bit too big for his britches and as for Mama Sox? Well, that cat is just too cool for school, in a good way. My money’s still on Lee, though!

— Russell Weakland

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

harmoniize

Posted at 6:47 PM on May 19, 2010

Boy oh boy! Guys, all you have to do is listen to LEE when he sings and you will hear, listen with your heart (not your eyes, not your head) LEE’s voice is MAGIC!!!

harmoniize

Posted at 7:22 AM on May 18, 2010

LEE DEWYZE Be…LEEEE…vers ALERT!!!! Check out youtube’s mt. prospect parade by jesteringjeffrey, it is so great!!! with 3 great LEE songs!!! You’ll love it!!!

r sigman

Posted at 6:26 PM on May 15, 2010

Lee could win if he sang Abraham martin and John by Dion

mimi

Posted at 10:51 AM on May 11, 2010

OKAY TO NIGHT IS TO NIGHT??????

Donna

Posted at 5:10 PM on May 10, 2010

I get the impression that Lee is a very down to earth guy, and I think his ability to take advice from the judges and mentors, and listen to it and learn, is such a big plus. If you think he is so inarticulate, you should listen to the songs he’s composed. He is a poet, and composer, not something just anybody can do. I like his shy demeanor. And I can’t say I’ve been bored one bit. £€€ ftw!

gbtw

Posted at 1:57 PM on May 11, 2010

we haven’t had access to songs he has composed, right? i’ll have to take your word for it. but the way he presents on tv and responds to ryan’s questions and whatnot, yah, he definitely comes across as inarticulate. that he can convey his thoughts and emotions better through song, i will not disagree with.

gbtw

Posted at 1:59 PM on May 11, 2010

ps- meant to also say, that I totally agree that his ability and willingness to listen to the judges and constantly improve, while staying true to himself, by listening to advice from mentors is a HUGE strength that has put him amongst the top performers. big mike could learn A LOT from him in this regard!

mimi

Posted at 11:33 AM on May 10, 2010

if Casey just could “sing out” give it everything he has in the gut, he could win, he is a great guitar player and his looks…..jeah ? He could do it he has the packet for american Idol, Crystal nooooo, its so done already, and Lee you forget him fast, mike is so arrogant ….no no Casey come on now, you can do it, choose the right song and let your hair down pleeeeeeaaase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristin

Posted at 11:13 PM on May 9, 2010

If he wins then it will confirm that AI is rigged.

He sucks horribly. Remember the bagpipes?

gbtw

Posted at 2:50 PM on May 10, 2010

oh, c’mon now. he’s not my favorite, but he’s not that bad! though, yes, those bagpipes were DUMB and enraging. but, i had forgotten about them already.

Justine

Posted at 2:56 AM on May 16, 2010

that just shows that he knows how to have fun and not take himself too seriously. Really try harder next time. He’s great

Tony Kasmir

Posted at 10:40 PM on May 9, 2010

I do not agree with your article! Casey does NOT believe he is going home this week and neither do we!

Lacey

Posted at 6:36 PM on May 9, 2010

If anyone seems like a dim bulb to me, it’s Casey James. Pretty blond hair only gets you so far! He’s a beast on that guitar though.

getbacktowork

Posted at 2:56 AM on May 10, 2010

i don’t think casey is dumb, actually. i think he just shut down b/c he’s been in the ‘i’m going home’ mindset for weeks. i don’t know how dumb/smart lee is, but one thing is for sure, that guy is very inarticulate! i can’t bear to listen to him speak- even readying the babble here! sniffed too much paint? or just not a skilled oratore? i don’t know…

Justine

Posted at 2:58 AM on May 16, 2010

you should listen to some of his lyrics and then decide whether or not he is inarticulate. He is quite the contrary. Can you do any better? oh wait no one cares…

scarla

Posted at 6:06 PM on May 9, 2010

lol Russell…maybe you and your best bud Lee can smash beer/paint cans on your foreheads next time!!

Elle

Posted at 5:45 PM on May 9, 2010

Lee is HOT! Those bedroom eyes and voice are ridiculous. Yum…is it Tuesday yet?!

scarla

Posted at 6:08 PM on May 9, 2010

Reading Lee’s conversational remarks makes me wonder if those ‘sleepy-bedroomy eyes’ are really just Lee being himself…not the brightest bulb in the room.

Elle

Posted at 6:32 PM on May 9, 2010

And the rest of them all seem like rocket scientists, right? lol

kokita

Posted at 7:00 PM on May 9, 2010

i can’t wait tooo

gbtw

Posted at 2:52 PM on May 10, 2010

lol! bedroom eyes! no offense to you or lee, but i cannot imagine that guy is ANY good in bed… ANY! but, if by bedroom you meant, it’s time for a nap… sure… i get it. :)

Justine

Posted at 3:00 AM on May 16, 2010

jealousy is ugly even in written form

getbacktowork

Posted at 4:43 PM on May 9, 2010

interesting to hear that mike’s arrogant vibe is for real. i like the guy, but you definitely sense that he could never take criticism or be told how to improve. too bad, b/c he clearly is quite talented, but if you can’t be coached and won’t listen to people, you’ll always stagnate. any morsel of humility is just an act. that said, i think he’s nice and all, but too lounge. (i’ve said that word so much re him, that’s annoying me as much randy’s dawg and pitchy.) i hope casey’s ‘i’m going home’ attitude makes him sing his heart out and do marvelous things. he has had that attitude for about a month, i think. oddly, if crystal picks another ‘whatever’ song this week, i actually could see her not making it another week. she needs to start trying to impress people more, and stop doing the, “and i’m not even trying” thing. it’s not good enough anymore.

Patti

Posted at 7:09 PM on May 17, 2010

Excellent post. As goofy as Lee may appear, I have listened on You Tube, and he is a good writer. Crystal made pretty bad song choices, and could have blown everyone away – but she really didn’t. As far as Casey goes–good lord, how did he get this far? He really lost my respect when he took his shirt off when that moron Kara ordered him to do so. Bad, bad move. As far as Big Mike: this man’s ego is surpassed only by his size. He turned the viewers off. Women have been giving birth since the beginning of time, and I hate what this show does to pump up (or should I say “pimp”) these beggars. What about all our soldiers, who don’t have a choice to see their firstborn coming into this world..this man did. Enough already. This season is a giant snoozefest, but my husband and I can’t help but watch it, as ridiculous as it’s gotten. I hope this is the last year for everyone’s sake!

harmoniize

Posted at 7:15 AM on May 18, 2010

LEE DEWYZE will win, he is a “TRUE American Idol”!!! When he sings, his voice, eyes, everything about him just speaks right thru our hearts!!! With his unique/distinctive voice (which most legends in the music industry have), originality, song choices/versions, personality (notice when he answers questions he just answers them naturally), humility, good looks (magnetic eyes and magnetic smile – definitely STAR QUALITY!!!), he will sing any song anybody requests him to sing and will take us to his arena, the LEE DEWYZE ARENA!!! Yes, that’s what’s LEE’s all about, he is a truly gifted/talented singer/artist that just LOVES TO SHARE his good music for everybody to enjoy!!! (with great depth). WHAT MORE CAN ANYBODY ASK FOR??? He will win because he knows there are people who believes in him and he will not let us down!!! (That’s what gifted people are like) We Be…..LEEEEEEEE…..ve!!!!!