'Harry Potter' Star/Turned College Freshman Emma Watson Admits She's Practically Failing Her Acting Class!

Thu, May 6, 2010 2:54pm EDT by 6 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

She hates frat parties — who doesn’t? And, was totally terrified during Freshman week — who wouldn’t be?

Who would have thought that Harry Potter star Emma Watson was a completely normal, day-to-day girl? Well, in the June 2010 issue of Vanity Fair, Emma opens up about what it’s like to be the highest paid actress in Hollywood in 2009 – she made $30 million-  AND a college freshman at Brown University and guess what! She confesses that she’s pretty much the worst student in one of her classes, HATES going to fraternity parties, AND she feared going to college just like the rest of us!

Emma, like a lot of first year college students is having problems with one of her classes and ironically for her, it’s her acting class! “I think actually I’m the worst person in the class,” she admits!

And when Emma, 20,  attended her first fraternity party, she hated it! “I felt like I’d walked into an American teen movie,” she says. “I picked up the red cups. I was like, Wow, they really do drink from these!”

But, most of all, the whole thought of going to college scared the heck out of Emma just like most other young adults her age. “It was just awful,” she says looking back. “I was like, I must be mad. Why am I doing this?”

Luckily for Emma, it seems that most of her fears have calmed down and that no one has given her a hard time about her Hollywood success. “I was scared before I came to Brown—that I wasn’t going to be allowed to have both [a normal life and a job as an actress]. People would think that I didn’t deserve to have both,” Emma explains. She was scared they would think, “You’re famous. You’re given free handbags. Why should you deserve to be normal,” but they totally didn’t!

Instead, Emma has fallen into a great group of friends that make her feel completely at home. Her roommate could care less that she’s in Harry Potter. The rowing team loves her. And, she supposedly has a cute new rocker boy/actor boyfriend from Spain named Rafael Cebrián!

We’re glad that Emma is getting the best of both worlds — Hollywood success and the normal experience of freshman year of college. It sounds like she’s super happy even if acting class seems a bit hard. We wish her the best!

- Lindsey DiMattina

lala14

Posted at 5:34 PM on November 23, 2010

i heard that her professor asked her a question and she got the answer right, so someone screamed “10 points for griffindor!!!” and then she stormed out of the class!!!

ellie

Posted at 8:31 PM on July 28, 2010

emma is such a smart person, too. soo many other actresses should follow in her footstep and have a back-up plan like an education. i love her soo much; she my ultimate role model! i also highly doubt she’s the worst in her acting class too…

jessica

Posted at 8:27 PM on July 28, 2010

im sooooo happy for emma! i knew she would get into those ivy league universities. she’s such a wonderful person and so hardworking and on top of that she’s really pretty and skinny.i hope she has a great experience in college in the US. im so happy for her!

hopeless boy

Posted at 1:20 AM on July 19, 2010

I’m glad to hear the good news of Emma.I want her to be good and happy ever.Actually,I love her so much like anything.I don’t want to evade it.I have demanded her assistants for her email but they don’t want to give it.It’s so ugly that they are insulting their fans.We are her fans and we don’t want to blame and just suggest and want her to be more and more popular.However,they don’t give it to fans.Many famous artiste and other popular men use their emails to connect their fans.It’s a good habit.As an example,C.Ronaldo used his email and connect every fan of him living in different parts of the world.Isn’t wonderful?It’s a secret of him.So,notice the fans Emma’s email officially.If you have her real email,please upload an article with it.I believe all of her fans in the world are waiting for it so much…..

Gabby

Posted at 12:40 AM on May 7, 2010

Emma Watson is such an amazing person and it’s not surprising that her college transition wasn’t easy. It’s not easy for normal people, so I’m sure it must’ve been 10 times as hard for a megastar like Emma.

I think she’s just being humble when she says she’s the worst in the class. That is highly doubtful. I love this girl!

Sugar

Posted at 3:49 PM on May 6, 2010

The smartest thing she could be doing is going to college, expanding her experiences outside of showbusiness and keeping one foot in reality while being one the highest paid actresses.

Miley Cyrus and most other young stars would benefit from doing the same thing.