Holy Smokes, The Underdog Might Win! Lee DeWyze, I Finally Saw Your Star Power On ‘American Idol’ Last Night!

Wed, May 5, 2010 11:38am EST by 8 Comments
Loading video...

After weeks of insulting his awkward stage presence and wavering vocals, I now get what the judges have seen all along: Lee is totally an American Idol contender!

It was Frank Sinatra week on American Idol May 4, and I was positive every last contestant was going to suck. Imagine my (pleasant) surprise when the singer I love to rag on the most, Lee DeWyze, gave a performance that would have made Ol’ Blue Eyes proud. In fact, his rendition of Frankie’s “That’s Life” was so good (dare I say it) that I think Lee has a real shot of winning the whole competition!

The 24-year-old’s stage presence has actually improved as well. He’s absolutely more confident (and it doesn’t hurt that mentor Harry Connick Jr. says his wife thinks Lee is hot, or that judge Kara DioGuardi seems to be crushing on him instead of Casey James these days) and seems to really believe he has a shot at winning.

So who do I think will be kicked off tonight, May 5? I hate to say it, but Casey’s rendition of “Blue Skies” was AWFUL. The judges hated it, too. Bye, bye hot stuff. You’ll be missed by every single cougar out there.

And although Simon Cowell & co. seemed to think Aaron Kelly wasn’t absolutely horrific, I disagree. I want the three minutes of my life back I wasted listening to him sing “Fly Me to the Moon.”

Crystal Bowersox disappointed me as well. She’s always good and her voice is absolutely gorgeous, but I was bored by the Elliston, Ohio native’s version of “Summer Wind.” I usually dub Lee the Snoozefest of the week, but this time that honor goes to Crystal, 24.

The only other really great performance of the night, besides Lee’s, goes to “Big” Michael Lynche. Simon, 50, said, “Everything worked” about Mike’s rendition of “The Way You Look Tonight”, and he was right. Mike, 26, was smart to pick a crowd pleaser, and his performance showed both emotion and finesse. Somehow though, I still think he’ll end up in the bottom three — America doesn’t seem to dig Mike’s polished performances as much as I do!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

chonkae

Posted at 1:48 AM on May 6, 2010

my god people!…lee was still off key a few times!…he’s really not that good!…but i honestly believe he’ll win, but crystal will be a star!

catherine

Posted at 3:40 PM on May 5, 2010

If that was the best, I’m happy I didn’t see the rest. It’s not bad, but it’s so boring.

scarla

Posted at 3:08 PM on May 5, 2010

Lee’s job prior to Idol was working in a Paint Shop…Simon loves to keep repeating that back-story. Anyway, Lee WAS sort of loosey-goosey last night. It might have been Harry, but I’m thinking paint thinner or turpentine.
There was nothing great about his or Mike’s vocals last night. Both songs were better known to most voters…this bunch has made me miss Danny Gokey…that’s right….that’s how bad it is on Idol.

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:30 AM on May 6, 2010

LOL! I totally understand what you’re saying! Couldn’t STAND Gokey even though he had a great voice and more ability than Lee who everyone is now raving over! crystal usually moves me though, so i’m hoping she’ll come back and do something special in the coming weeks b/c the show is really turning into a snoozefest with these guys. i like casey’s voice, too, so i’m hoping he’ll be able to surprise me… i’ll be largely fastforwarding through these coming weeks though, for sure.

gbtw

Posted at 12:57 PM on May 5, 2010

last night’s episode had me so ENRAGED b/c i was so BORED! that lee was the best, says it all. crystal kinda pissed me off last night. like, she’s right about how she sang that song, but she doesn’t seem to get (despite saying, “i appreciate it”) what simon’s trying to tell her. you need to be singing a blockbuster every week, not the rest of the singles that fill up your album… the LEAD song! casey… i felt sad for him. i didn’t think his voice sucked, actually, contrary to the judges- but without his guitar, he had ZERO star power. that lee was mountains ahead of him on stage presence says it all. yes, lee has improved a billion times- and casey hasn’t. his stage presence is basically only being hot as hell (except too skinny) and looking into the camera. it works for awhile, but not long enough. honestly, i didn’t like anyone last night, except lee. everyone else was merely tolerable. i can see people liking big mike on that, but to me, he’s still just acting. never anything genuine out of the guy… don’t hate me. he just never connects with me. lounge, lounge, and more acting lounge. i’d love him there, but not here.

scarla

Posted at 3:23 PM on May 5, 2010

I HATE Big Mike too. There hasn’t been a single, original, sincere, heart felt note come out of his mouth all season.
Luther Vandross my ass. Next stop for fame-seeking-lip-licking-hat-doesn’t-fit-on-your-humongous-head Mike….Celebrity Fit Club!

Linda

Posted at 12:19 PM on May 5, 2010

Yeah Laura I told you Lee is going to win a few weeks ago. If it’s not a Crystal vs Lee finale then it’s not worth watching really. But seems like Lee keeps rising and Crystal is a downward slide. She hasn’t stunk but is clearly off a little. Well, see. Could we have 2 boring winners in consecutive years? Kris Allen and Lee Dewyze? Maybe?

mimi

Posted at 12:09 PM on May 5, 2010

ohhhhhh Casey what happened to you last night….merde!