Bret Michaels Talks! 'I Am So Thankful. I'm Lucky To Be Alive!'

Wed, May 5, 2010 10:02am EST by 10 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

“Will — and good medical attention — and faith” got Bret through it all he explains. “It just wasn’t my time yet!”

Just two weeks after rocker Bret Michaels was hospitalized Apr. 21 for a massive subarachnoid brain hemorrhage, he’s been released from the hospital and excepted to reach full recovery! “I opened my eyes, and was like, ‘I am so thankful. I’m lucky to be alive,” Bret told People on May 3. “It just wasn’t my time yet!”

On Apr. 30,  doctors moved Bret, 47, from St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix to a rehabilitation facility where he is to undergo physical therapy and expected to come back 100 percent! “I’m a believer it’s a combination of will and faith [that kept me alive],” Bret explained. “Will — and good medical attention — and faith.”

At the initial onset of pain he experienced the night of Apr. 21, Bret admitted his family was the only thing running through his mind. “I was just sad,” he said, “I was not going to have my family wake up and see me dead on the living room floor. [And, I was] sad thinking of my daughters growing up without me.”

So when Kristi Gibson, Bret’s girlfriend and the mother of his children (Raine, 9, and Jorja, 5), raced him to the emergency room, he made the conscious decision to live. When the doctor asked if he had kids and if he wanted them to come to the hospital in case the unthinkable happened, Bret asked, “Am I dying? If I’m dying, I want to see my kids, but if I have a chance to, I don’t want them to see me in this condition.” The doctor responded, “Well, there’s obviously a chance. You’re still alive, and people die instantly from this.”

Bret’s doctor, Joseph Zabramski, confirmed Brett’s hemorrhage wasn’t related to Bret’s diabetes nor the accident that took place at last year’s Tonys. In fact, the hemorrhage “occurred for no reason at all,” said Dr. Zabramski. And, “it’s okay that we can’t find a cause. In fact it’s great!”

For Bret, the whole near-death experience barely even fazed his will to fight. “It’s the weirdest thing: You feel so much love and realize in a moment, in an instant … you focus on what becomes really important,” explained Bret. “I want to continue t rock the world, and I want to continue to love my family and be a good father. I was given a second chance!”

— Lindsey DiMattina

Patrish Williams

Posted at 11:13 PM on May 5, 2010

I am available for proofreading. Excepted should be expected. So glad to hear Bret is out of the hospital and doing so well. You are still in my prayers and thoughts.

angelout

Posted at 10:09 PM on May 5, 2010

Was it the pressure of being on the Apprentice? Some of these guys just do not know when to stop, they begin to think they are super human. Brett I wish you a full recovery!

AT

Posted at 9:52 PM on May 5, 2010

Brett~praying for you dude. One of Ambre’s friends had the same thing happen and didn’t make it. She left young twins and a grieving spouse behind. You are truly blessed.

anonymous

Posted at 4:14 PM on May 5, 2010

OK, BRET, NOW MARRY YOUR GIRLFRIEND, THE MOTHER OF YOUR CHILDREN, AS THE FIRST THING YOU DO, WITH THIS SECOND CHANCE AT LIFE….FOR THE KIDS, AT LEAST…

Melody

Posted at 6:56 PM on May 5, 2010

You beat it buddy! Now take notice of the most important people and things in your life and res and enjoy…but first marry the mother of your beautiful kids and make it complete….if she’s been the one then she is the one….she stuck by your side through your illnesses….now make her proud and you proud too but mostly your make your wonderful kids proud and step up and get married and make it forever…you’ve been given this chance at a 2nd time at life that not many get…use it wisely and learn….slow down! love you and your music…..melody……

Lanahere

Posted at 3:31 PM on May 5, 2010

Brett, earthlings love you buddy (smile). Welcome back.

JEN

Posted at 12:46 PM on May 5, 2010

YAY!!! I’m so happy for you, your girlfriend, your kids and everybody that knows you. You have been given a 2nd chance and not that you didnt love life before, but now it’ll be even more sweeter. Life is a precious gift. ANNNND please dont run back to Celebrity Apprentice. You are a winner already. Take it easy and relax and slowly get back to work. That goes for all of us…..take time to smell the flowers.

Pat

Posted at 12:15 PM on May 5, 2010

LOVE YOU BRET AND HOPE YOU WILL SOON BE BACK IN GOOD HEALTH

Cate

Posted at 11:29 AM on May 5, 2010

Bret – much love and good thoughts. Im 38 and I’ve grown up with you… you have always put a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Best wishes to you and your girls – speedy recovery, friend!

Love and faith,

Cate.

mimi

Posted at 11:03 AM on May 5, 2010

Great Bret …great you are better, but be careful now???