Blake Lewis Asks: Why Did Lee DeWyze Get So Much Praise From The Judges Last Night? I Was Bored & That’s Crazy!

Wed, May 5, 2010 4:16pm EDT by 17 Comments

040710_blake_lewis_dewize_inset_544

Our very own American Idol judge wonders why the judges’ golden boy got so much praise last night when he looked and sounded bored beyond belief.

Lee DeWyze received heaps of praise for his rendition of Frank Sinatra’s “That’s Life” , but Blake Lewis doesn’t think he deserved it! In fact, our very own American Idol judge was BORED!

“The lowlight for me was closing the night with Lee DeWyze,” the season six runner-up tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively. “He got lots of praise from the judges, which I thought was crazy! He sang all right, but still doesn’t even look like he cares about having a singing career on stage. He looks so bored.”

It’s nice to know that an expert agrees about a guy we’ve called Lee “The Snooze” DeWyze! But what did our judge think of the remaining Idol contestants during Sinatra week May 4? Take it away, Blake!

Highlight 1: It was Frank Sinatra night and Harry Connick Jr. was the mentor. He is the first person on the show to ever arrange the music for the competition and it was brilliant. I’m a big fan already and was jealous that these contestants got to even step in a room with him. He played the piano and conducted the band on stage for every one of them. What an honor.

Highlight 2: Simon saying, “It didn’t have any swagger.” This is the first time I’ve ever heard him sound like Randy. My favorite quote was Simon comparing Frank Sinatra to Aaron Kelly saying, “If Sinatra was a lion, you would be a mouse.”

Highlight 3: Crystal Bowersox looked like a pro last night, and not just like a coffee shop singer. Her backless dress showed us her huge sunflower back piece. NICE! Her performance of “Summer Wild” was just all right for me. The arrangement was beautiful, but I think Crystal fell short singing jazz. Although out of her element, she still maintained her presence and the judges gave her the thumbs up.

Highlight 4: Michael Lynche was by far the best performer on last night’s show singing “The Way You Look Tonight.” He looked the part, sang it perfect, and the arrangement was amazing. I really hope he makes it to the finals.

Lowlight: For me it was closing the night with Lee DeWyze. He got lots of praise from the judges, which I thought was crazy. I think he should have opened the show instead of finishing it. He sang all right, but still doesn’t even look like he cares about having a singing career on stage. He looks so bored.

Blake

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Susan

Posted at 2:22 AM on June 2, 2010

And we should pay attention to this guy why?….he was terribly off key during his Idol run. At his audition when Simon said you think you’re better than you are was spot on. He’s good at sound effects but that’s where it ends-does he have an album-did it sell-never heard of it. Lee has talent without all the mouth sound effects. Pleez why are they giving any heed to this wanna-be’s opinion

court

Posted at 6:25 PM on May 24, 2010

blake, you lost…
lee however has an amazing voice, did not look bored, and as the judges and the crowd decided was the best performance of the night.
lee is going to be the next aemerican idol!

linda

Posted at 12:49 PM on May 6, 2010

Maybe Blake Lewis can get a single on the radio and then start complaining. What the hell is he doing? Oh yeah, nothing….

Justine

Posted at 2:43 AM on May 16, 2010

I agree! Lee did NOT look bored…he was the highlight of the night…

steve

Posted at 11:07 AM on May 6, 2010

So let me get this straight hahaha Blake Lewis a LOSER on idol doesnt like lee becasue he can actually sing. SORRY blake noone cares about you or beat boxing lee is going to have a bigger career than you can ever dream of having.Enjoy your Idol blogging cause thats cool.

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:24 AM on May 6, 2010

blake, i really don’t get you. lee was the only halfway decent point of that particular show- and i have never been a fan of his. and mike continues to do lounge and all of america continues to put him in the bottom, yet you continue to think he’s the best. i’m all for having your own opinion and sticking to it, but i really don’t get your aesthetic if you think big mike ever connects to a song. he’s always acting and is never truly emotionally present imho. other people have other reasons for not connecting with him, but that’s mine.

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:18 AM on May 6, 2010

lol… i have had a million things to say to blake but was concerned about being TOO MEAN TO HIM! guess anything i say now will be all right… OUCH!

Jen

Posted at 10:10 AM on May 6, 2010

Lee was obviously the best of the night, far from boring. Blake hardly ever has anything decent to say about him. It’s one former idol LOSERS opinion, many other former idols love him, and so do I! GO LEE FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!

Foliar

Posted at 7:57 AM on May 6, 2010

I disagree about what Blake Lewis says.Lee was the only one that shoud win.I love his voice and the strange smile.I think last night,only Lee and Mike have done a good job.Keep it Lee,you will win the game.

Gwenn

Posted at 12:20 AM on May 6, 2010

lee was awesome. you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. you are a nobody… no one remembers you!

court

Posted at 6:27 PM on May 24, 2010

hahahahahaha so true

Jessie

Posted at 10:23 PM on May 5, 2010

I think Blake has to be considered an expert. Look at everything he has accomplished since being the AI runner-up! Oh wait…

Nicole

Posted at 6:12 PM on May 5, 2010

I so agree with you Blake! Every week Lee is overpraised, and I honestly do not understand what the judges are hearing and seeing that I am not. You know what a terrible season it is, when Ellen says that Lee could win the show after that performance. That was all sorts of wrong. My favs were also Michael and Crystal, they bring it every week. I want them to be the last two standing.

Love reading your thoughts on the show Blake! You’re pretty much always spot on with your critiques of the performances. Keep it up!

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:19 AM on May 6, 2010

I strongly disagree re Blake’s opinions, but agree re Crystal, though she has been a yawner for two weeks in a row now. :(

Reg

Posted at 5:05 PM on May 5, 2010

Um… yeah… Crystal Sang “Summer Wind” not Summer Wild :D everyone has an opinion… I guess you are entitled to yours… I still like your music and I still like Lee. :D

mimi

Posted at 4:47 PM on May 5, 2010

i think that Lee was the only singer that could manege the “gig”, even Casey, so great last week …was a complete disapointment, ,…..and unfortunately I think he is going home to night, sorry!

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:17 AM on May 6, 2010

he was spared! one more week to pull together some stage presence casey… DO IT!