Kate Walsh Walks The Red Carpet Without Any Makeup! Would You Ever Do That??

Mon, May 3, 2010 6:15pm EDT by 12 Comments
Getty Images (2)

Getty Images (2)

Should she have gone without makeup? I could NEVER imagine walking a red carpet with no makeup on like Kate Walsh, could you?

Ok, I am admittedly a makeup addict. I mean, I’m a beauty editor so it kind of a necessary evil of the job. This means I NEVER leave the house without some sort of makeup on. Unless I’m going straight to the gym and back home there’s no chance of prying me from my apartment without some foundation, concealer and mascara at the bare minimum. So, when I saw Kate Walsh on the red carpet, yes, the red carpet without anything on her face I freaked. She wasn’t out walking her dog, getting the mail, popping into Starbucks or picking up her dry cleaning when a paparazzi snapped her photo. No. She was walking a red carpet! The Private Practice star was in NYC for the premiere of Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston on Apr. 20 when she decided to go sans makeup. I just really don’t get it. If I’m ever to walk a red carpet, I will sure as hell be wearing more makeup than Ru Paul. Admittedly, I’m not blessed with as gorgeous skin as Kate but still, how could she walk a carpet without mascara at least? It just goes against all my beauty sensibilities to 1. go out in public without makeup and to 2. voluntarily have my photo taken looking like that! What about you? Would you show up for a big event without any traces of makeup? Or, like me, would you be sure to be on top of your beauty game for the night? Let me know! - Marta Topran

Cogent

Posted at 12:50 AM on May 16, 2010

I get that many women LOVE makeup. I’m not one of those women, but I get it. I just don’t understand why so many see it as a REQUIREMENT. Why does your face have to be covered in chemicals every time you set foot out of the house? Can you not be considered beautiful without it? I just don’t understand why it’s just expected. Bravo to Kate for keeping it natural…it’s a rare sight and a nice change of pace. I do think she’s wearing something on her lips though. Whatevs!

The last time I wore makeup was for a photoshoot a few months ago. Before that, I don’t think I’d worn any since my senior prom (I’m 25 now).

I’m new to this blog, so maybe you wrote it with a sense of humor, but you seem appalled at the idea of yourself/other women being seen in public without makeup. To me, that’s sad. If that was written with a sense of humor, you can ignore this last paragraph.

Tracey

Posted at 5:41 PM on May 5, 2010

She had lipstick/gloss on and you can see the line where the under eye concealer is. I think she has a sheer foundation on too…see the mole/wart thing next to her mouth is covered…or at least concealer there too.
Anyway, it’s her choice but pretending to be makeup free when she clearly isn’t is still perpetuating the Hollywood myth of “perfection”. The botox also ruins any illusions there.

Lux

Posted at 4:29 PM on May 5, 2010

A lot of people would have nicer skin if they didn’t clog their face with make-up in the first place.

She’s gorgeous, don’t be jealous. You probably have a nicer ummmm, belly button than hers.

Sam

Posted at 3:57 PM on May 4, 2010

Someone asked her this on Twitter and she said she just didn’t have time for it. She’s busy rehearsing for her Broadway play.

Rock on Kate. She looks great for 42 !

carrie burns

Posted at 11:49 PM on May 3, 2010

She is a pretty woman, but her beauty would have been more obvious if she had smiled.

Kim

Posted at 10:14 PM on May 3, 2010

She looks gorgeous. Kate is brave and is beautiful. She should be proud that she can walk down the red carpet with skin that clear.

getbacktowork

Posted at 11:51 PM on May 3, 2010

agreed that she has great skin, but no eye makeup aged her 10years plus. (i also never believe they’re completely makeup free, btw, and wouldn’t be surprised if she had concealer under her eyes… but, regardless, her skin is gorgeous, no doubt.

please

Posted at 7:52 PM on May 3, 2010

It’s really funny that two people wrote an entire paragraph about someone not wearing makeup, this is pathetic, I mean criticizing a woman for not needing to wear makeup to feel good about themselves…our society is going down the toilet

gbtw

Posted at 8:08 PM on May 3, 2010

oh, please, yourself! this is the least of our society’s worries, that we want our movie/tv stars to look glamorous when they’re on the red carpet! we don’t have the time/money/luxury to live that kind of life, and we enjoy seeing ‘all that glitters’ when we take a break from our hectic life! get over yourself! in case you didn’t notice, you yourself are on a celebrity gossip website making posts! lol… laughable!

Mary

Posted at 7:48 PM on May 3, 2010

Kate said on twitter that she didn’t have time to put make-up on. If I had her face and skin I would definitely do it, she’s gorgeous.

gbtw

Posted at 7:11 PM on May 3, 2010

marta, where have you been all my life… love that you got a ru paul reference in there. all i can think when reading your comment that you would never show up on the red carpet looking like that is dolly parton’s line in steel magnolia’s when someone looking at a fat woman without a girdle commented at the indecency of it all, and that she hadn’t left the house without lycra on her thighs since she was 15 (?), and dolly said, “that’s ’cause your mama raised you right”… kate, this whole “unretouched” and au naturel thing was largely a myth. please. let’s try to put that all behind us now.

MTHollywoodlife

Posted at 3:52 PM on May 4, 2010

gbtw, happy you liked my drag queen reference! And I had totally forgotten about that Dolly line but now I can’t stop saying it in her amazing Southern accent. And yes, I agree this whole au naturel thing needs to end. I want to know my celebs are slaving hours in the makeup chair to look good. It’s their job to look glamorous and unattainable. – Marta