Mama Sox, You Let Me — And The Rest Of America — Down Last Night; You Were The Only Bad Performer On ‘Idol’!

Wed, April 28, 2010 2:00pm EST by 24 Comments

American Idol’s fan favorite Crystal Bowersox was boring with a capital B during Shania Twain week, and I’m afraid she might go home tonight!

Believe it or not, every single contestant brought their A-game to the American Idol stage last night — every single contestant but my favorite, Crystal Bowersox, that is. One word comes to mind when I think about the 24-year-old Elliston, Ohio native’s rendition of Shania Twain’s “No One Needs to Know” April 27 — TIRED.

I hate to say this, but I preferred both Lee “The Snooze” DeWyze AND annoying little twerp Aaron Kelly to Crystal last night — and from the judges’ reactions, I’m guessing America will agree with me. Naturally, Simon Cowell summed up what I was feeling best when he said, “We don’t like Crystal this week,” adding, “You’ve seen this happen before when you’re in a coffee shop and they hire someone to sing to you and you don’t want them to. This is the only week I haven’t really liked your performance.”

AGREED! Watch Crystal’s performance here and tell me what you think!

Loading video...

I suppose we can’t blame Shania Twain though; the other five Idols were spot on. Who knew Siobhan Magnus could sing country? She totally rocked out to “Any Man of Mine” (aside from that one shrieking final note at the end — I actually thought I heard a glass break in my kitchen). “Big” Michael Lynche made Shania, 44, cry with his version of “It Only Hurts When I’m Breathing” and Casey James was utterly edible with his pared-down take on “Don’t.”

Are you ready for another shocker? I actually warmed to Snoozy DeWyze, 24, last night. He was pitchy (dawg) on some notes, and his facial tics are just plain weird, but his gruff voice really suited “You’re Still the One.” Still, when it comes to a man singing a woman’s song, none of this lot could compare to season 7 winner David Cook’s version of “Always Be My Baby.” ‘Nuff said.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

mimi

Posted at 12:13 PM on May 10, 2010

Yes Crystal must go this week …..she is NOT an American Idol….at all….

Diane Paecht

Posted at 10:49 AM on April 30, 2010

What do I think i think you really should stop calling Aaron an annoying little Twirp WTF? He isnt annoying he doesnt whine just becuas ehez a little quiet he is surrounded by people a lot older than Him! Not alot of 17 year old kids can sing like that and at least the kid is sincere and doesnt act like a jerk Oh and FYI the magazines love that kid so he i sgood for publicity He can make it in country like Taylor Swift and hes better than Miley frickin cyrus !!

gbtw

Posted at 3:18 PM on April 30, 2010

actually, i agree with diane on this one laura. unless he were truly a disrespectful brat, i’m not down with bashing little kids. he’s a cute polite sincere young boy. you don’t have to cheer for him, but you shouldn’t be mean to him, either. just sayin’…

dmb2010

Posted at 6:39 PM on April 28, 2010

Laura , I’m afraid you’re right that Crystal might be going home tonight. Howver, really, does she have to win? I think not . . . .just ask Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken and Chris Daughtrey . . . oh and Kat McPhee . . .

dmb2010

Posted at 6:29 PM on April 28, 2010

Well, i completely disagree . . . Crystal was not awful. At least she did something a bit different and interesting. Maybe not completely sucessful, but, well, i still thought she was better than anyone else last night. Having said that, its not really hard to be better than ANY of this group! Crystal is already a star, ala Adam last year and Chris Daughtrey a few years ago. And the rest of these performers are just a snooze. I still watch every week hoping for something to change, but, well, every week i end up saying that this is an hour or 2 that i will never in life get back . . . sighs

Karen

Posted at 5:19 PM on April 28, 2010

Laura! I’m so glad you warmed up to “Snoozy” DeWyze! It wasn’t his best, but I agree he picked an excellent song. However, I disagree with your comments on Crystal – I don’t think she was awful, but she was boring. I also thought Siobhan and Mike were awful. Mike’s probably going home, which is a shame because I really enjoy him. Seems like his time though.

scarla

Posted at 4:16 PM on April 28, 2010

Crystal deserved the entire month off. She’s been the only legitimate American Idol contestant from day 1.
But today is the day to send Big-old-sweaty armpits-lip lickin’-fake smilin’-Mike home !!!! Big-Mike, high school student Aaron Kelly and Lee for the bottom 3….Mike you’re OUT.

lov2shop

Posted at 3:22 PM on April 28, 2010

Personally, I think Crystal is getting a bad rap here– everyone’s expectations are so high for her and generally low for the others- that just because the others might have been better than usual (whatever your own take is on that)Crystal didn’t get her typical accolades- it’s a bit unfair- Crystal has been consistently good and that should really put her above the others. It’s a bit worrisome because “Idol-Maker Simon Says” dissed her last night- I would agree, however, that her back up was a bit too strong and it was difficult to focus solely on her singing ability. I will also admit that I am somewhat an anti- Casey fan because I think his “cuteness” masks or deflects from his singing- but last night– he did great! I was very surprised- it seems that country is his thing- getting back to Crystal: she moves smoothly from genre to genre- she is powerful– she is consistent- isn’t that what Idol is supposed to be about??

gbtw

Posted at 2:23 PM on April 28, 2010

laura, you make me laugh. (in a good way, dawg.) i don’t agree with all your takes though, except on casey and lee. i don’t go for pretty boys, but last night i went over the edge for casey. i had been approaching it for awhile, but, fell in love with him last night. such a better performer than lee, though lee is improving. casey could’ve looked into my eyes (read, the camera) all night and it would’ve never felt uncomfortable. i didn’t like siobhan AT ALL. (have you heard shania’s version of that song?). i’ve decided i don’t like her voice except for the screaming. i don’t think she’s BAD or off key- but it’s just yawnsville for me. that song she sang is kickass, and is the only reason i can think why people think she was good. it was the song. not her. crystal… crystal, crystal, crystal. it wasn’t bad, but she was lost in it. i don’t mind singing bubble gum songs, but with all the other instruments, her guitar, and being too far from the mic at times, her voice got lost. if she had even just lost her own guitar and put a little more umph in that song, it would’ve worked. again, if you’ve heard shania do the song, you know it can be a really fun ride to hear- but crystal’s voice got lost the way she performed it. big mike was better than usual for me, but i’m ambivalent about him this week. i’d like to feel like he was on the verge of shedding a tear when he sings, and i rarely do- tho, this one was better than usual. aaron. i just want to eat him up. he’s to me, what tim urban was to most. i don’t want to “make out” with him, but i think he is so adorable, and the near-tears sigh of relief when simon wasn’t mean to him, and that he could sing that so genuinely for HIS MOM, i just adore this kid and wouldn’t even mind if he won, really… lol, i know, i know. maybe that’s going too far… crystal and casey are still my faves, with lee the runner up even though i adore aaron and wouldn’t mind if he knocked lee out. mike and siobhan, i’m not really interested in them anymore.

Diane Paecht

Posted at 10:50 AM on April 30, 2010

AARON KELLY FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BodaciousBiddies

Posted at 1:10 PM on April 28, 2010

Crystal’s performance was good — light & airy — just not as amazing as she usually is. She was graded on a ‘Crystal curve.’ Still love her & love her bohemian style.

liz

Posted at 12:51 PM on April 28, 2010

Wow. I thought everyone was terrible last night…and I am a very forgiving fan of the show (I am not an AI hater by any stretch). I’m glad I had a mute button, because the only one I didn’t end up muting before their song was up as Big Mike (and I don’t really like him all that much). Crystal was OK, and not to worry, her fan base is strong enough. She won’t go home 6th. But I totally disagree with the notion that everyone else brought their “A-game.” Don’t keep drinking the judges kool-aid. What a waste of an hour. Maybe I just hate Shanai Twain?

gbtw

Posted at 2:28 PM on April 28, 2010

you probably do just hate shania twain, but, i agree that everyone did not bring their a-game. i thought casey was the best of the evening as far as connecting with the song and delivering a strong performance, and showing us a different side of himself. except for the fact that his voice isn’t as strong, aaron also gave a very honest and touching performance. if it’s not about who has the best pipes (and, it’s not- plenty of better voices have been voted off), aaron brought HIS a-game. i don’t think any of the rest did, even crystal who can ALMOST do no wrong in my eyes.

David

Posted at 12:38 PM on April 28, 2010

You have to be kidding me. You have no musical basis to say she performed badly. You are just repeating rhetoric from the judges. Her performance was fantastic. She took a country song sang it flawlessly and improved on it’s arrangement. She was the only one who sang a country song, like a country song. That being said, there was not any bad performances last night. Try to say something different then just repeating what the judges say, be original with your thoughts if you can.

Mike

Posted at 12:38 PM on April 28, 2010

Last night was one of the first great nights of IDOL this season – I think everyone performed better than they have for the majority of this season- one minor exception being Crystal. However, with that said – I think Aaron or Michael are looking weak and tonight may be their curtain call…http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/28/idol-hangover-the-six-do-shania/

mimi

Posted at 12:28 PM on April 28, 2010

CASEY WAS THE BEST OVERALL LAST NIGHT, BEST VOICE, BEST GUITAR, BEST LOOKING …..GREAT FOR THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL….

gbtw

Posted at 2:29 PM on April 28, 2010

agreed 100%.

rogerontheoldtraps

Posted at 12:27 PM on April 28, 2010

I thought Crystal’s performance last night was GREAT! I think the judges on AI prefer pop music to country music, and Crystal gave them pure country music (improving on Twain’s original, I thought). Beauty is in the eye (and ear) of the beholder! Atta girl, Crystal!!!

gbtw

Posted at 2:32 PM on April 28, 2010

i agree, but only sort of. i felt like her voice was getting lost and it’s the first time i felt her guitar actually got in the way. i would’ve liked to hear her better b/c i do think her voice and fun connection to the song were spot on- but her voice got lost, for me, dawg.

dmb2010

Posted at 6:37 PM on April 28, 2010

Amen roger!! she really did give them pure country . . . not bland markletable stuff that passes for music now. the thing is, Idol has always pandered to the lowest common denominator musically. Crystal, unless she slips through like the super talented Kris did last year, will not win . . . but I’ll be watching her all the way anyway as he becomes a star!

Cady

Posted at 12:13 PM on April 28, 2010

I guess in the grand machina of things it was good for Crystal to have an off night, that way we won’t take her usual brilliance for granted. I’m sure she’ll bounce right back next week!

Ruth

Posted at 12:07 PM on April 28, 2010

“Still, when it comes to a man singing a woman’s song, none of this lot could compare to season 7 winner David Cook’s version of “Always Be My Baby.” ‘Nuff said. ”

I agree!!

gbtw

Posted at 2:30 PM on April 28, 2010

i wish i had seen david cook on idol b/c everyone is so in love with him, and everytime i see and hear him i just think, WHY?! guess you had to be there…

michael fishman

Posted at 10:04 AM on May 3, 2010

mamma sucked she just played like she did not even care but she will not go home still the best one there