She messed up a bunch of her lines & just wasn’t very funny.
Remember when I said I thought Gabourey Sidibe would surprise us all and be really funny as a Saturday Night Live host? As it turns out, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Most of Gabby’s scenes throughout the episode were awkward and generally laugh-free. And don’t try to blame her lackluster performance on the bad writing — she also tripped over a bunch of her words! Laughing in the middle of a scene is one thing (I’m looking at you, Jimmy Fallon) because at least the audience has a chance to laugh along with the actors… but when someone in a scene obviously trips over their dialogue and has to correct themselves, it pretty much kills it for me.
Watch Gabby in the sketches “Public Employee of the Year” and “Crazy Lady Yelling from Window” below. Then tell me what you thought of her performances!
What did YOU think of Gabby’s gig? Were you as disappointed as I was, or did I just set my sights too high?
— Andy Swift
Read More on Gabourey Sidibe:
- Gabourey Sidibe Has Landed A Great New Role On Showtime’s ‘The Big C’!
- Gabourey Sidibe: ‘It Doesn’t Matter’ That I Was Left Off ‘Vanity Fair’ Cover! Do You Agree?
- EXCLUSIVE! ‘Precious’ Star Gabby Sidibe: ‘Forget JT, Jc Chasez is My Real Dream Date!’
- Hey, Gabby Sidibe: Trash Your Haters and Show ‘em How Funny You Are When You Host ‘SNL’!
- WATCH! Gabourey Sidibe is Going to Be A Hilarious ‘SNL’ Host Tonight!