Bummer! Gabourey Sidibe Was Really Disappointing On 'SNL' Last Night!

Sun, April 25, 2010 1:37pm EDT by 22 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

Courtesy of NBC

She messed up a bunch of her lines & just wasn’t very funny.

Remember when I said I thought Gabourey Sidibe would surprise us all and be really funny as a Saturday Night Live host? As it turns out, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Most of Gabby’s scenes throughout the episode were awkward and generally laugh-free. And don’t try to blame her lackluster performance on the bad writing — she also tripped over a bunch of her words! Laughing in the middle of a scene is one thing (I’m looking at you, Jimmy Fallon) because at least the audience has a chance to laugh along with the actors… but when someone in a scene obviously trips over their dialogue and has to correct themselves, it pretty much kills it for me.

Watch Gabby in the sketches “Public Employee of the Year” and “Crazy Lady Yelling from Window” below. Then tell me what you thought of her performances!

What did YOU think of Gabby’s gig? Were you as disappointed as I was, or did I just set my sights too high?

— Andy Swift

Read More on Gabourey Sidibe:

1. Gabourey Sidibe Has Landed A Great New Role On Showtime’s ‘The Big C’!
  2. Gabourey Sidibe: ‘It Doesn’t Matter’ That I Was Left Off ‘Vanity Fair’ Cover!  Do You Agree?
  3. EXCLUSIVE!  ‘Precious’ Star Gabby Sidibe: ‘Forget JT, Jc Chasez is My Real Dream Date!’
  4. Hey, Gabby Sidibe: Trash Your Haters and Show ‘em How Funny You Are When You Host ‘SNL’!
  5. WATCH!  Gabourey Sidibe is Going to Be A Hilarious ‘SNL’ Host Tonight!

JerryG.

Posted at 9:11 PM on April 26, 2010

I am friends with many of the folks who made PRECIOUS and got to hang with Gabby at Sundance. She is extremely funny, a great actor and a terrific person — so it is easy to root for her and to expect great things.
Was I overwhelmed by her SNL performance like I was by her performance in PRECIOUS, not really, but given crap lines like “my daddy used to sell Wikipedias” in one-note skits or force her to give long monologues designed to be dreary on purpose and it is literally impossible to give a transcendent performance.
Did she “nail” every line. No. But she cannot be blamed for SNL sucking. That has been a problem since Gabby was in diapers.

JerryG.

Posted at 9:17 PM on April 26, 2010

…but I am grateful that SNL had the good judgement to ask her to host.

Ryan Phillipe only got the gig because he is there hawking their “MacGruber” movie.

Whereas Gabby got the job by being awesome.

gbtw

Posted at 1:31 PM on April 26, 2010

of course i don’t think your post has any racist roots, but i actually thought she did a great job in those two things you posted. the skits sucked- but the words for the crazy lady thing, to be spoken quickly, were hard, and she only f’ed up once. that dmv thing, she nailed the delivery in her monologue with the monotone voice, itchy-weave head slap, lazy clap when she lost, etc. i think it was the skits that didn’t live up… that said, i didn’t watch it live. but, i think she did as well as those skits would allow her to do. as for ryan phillipe, i didn’t see that one either, but i could NEVER see that guy being funny— even when someone else was writing for him. not surprised he sucked, at all. he should’ve just been a model, frankly.

Karen

Posted at 5:32 PM on April 25, 2010

I actually really enjoyed her…I think the skits were just awful and didn’t allow her to show her full potential.

Suzee

Posted at 4:10 PM on April 25, 2010

I turned off the TV bcuz it was so boring. Who are the writers on that show? I felt sorry for her bcuz it was all so unfunny.

Derek

Posted at 3:18 PM on April 25, 2010

i thought she was pretty good as far as hosts go. i laughed more than the ryan phillipe appearance last week.

idi amin

Posted at 3:13 PM on April 25, 2010

These are live performances meaning you dont get to try again. Did you ever see any movie outtakes? EVERYBODY makes mistakes and hers were not as serious as you made it out to be Plus, unless it was canned laughter, the audience laughed all the way too. Do you hate women or blacks or black women or something? I can’t see why you picked on this lady unless some kind of hate was your reason.

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:23 PM on April 25, 2010

Critiquing an actor’s performance is different than picking on them. And it has nothing to do with her gender or race. Let’s not make this about something it’s not. Ryan Phillippe, a white man, was also a bad host last week.

Tom

Posted at 6:05 PM on April 25, 2010

wow, playing the race card already?

Cricket

Posted at 2:38 AM on April 26, 2010

You’re an idiot!

idi amin is racist

Posted at 8:23 AM on April 26, 2010

Generally it’s the most racist person that makes an issue of something like this. I personally don’t like her because she is fat.

gbtw

Posted at 3:10 PM on April 26, 2010

lol… what a great reason to not like someone! you’ve got to be kidding me… priceless.

ghostwriter

Posted at 2:58 PM on April 25, 2010

Every host trips over his or her dialog occasionally. I don’t know much about Gabourey (I have yet to see “Precious”), aside from what I’ve read about her in the press. But I thought she did a fine job.

I will say I agree with Howard Stern, though. This woman faces an uphill battle because of her weight. Stern’s comments about her were wildly misconstrued. He was accused of “attacking” her, which is just ridiculous. If he was “attacking” anyone, it was the Hollywood decision-makers who will likely never give her another leading role. It’s a shame that, in Hollywood, beauty = skinny, because she is a beautiful and talented young lady.

Mike

Posted at 2:56 PM on April 25, 2010

Gabourey Sidibe was amazing in Precious. She should have won the Oscar over Sandra Bullock’s crap performance in The Blind Side.

Tom

Posted at 2:54 PM on April 25, 2010

wow pathetic. the only reason she got the role for precious was because they needed someone fat and ugly- that doesn’t mean you have talent. it just means you have to play yourself.

thanks for an accurate and fearless comment andy. just ignore the overly pc comments below.

Donna

Posted at 3:06 PM on April 25, 2010

wow it takes narrow minded ignorant people like you. Gabby did fantastic in Precious and she got the part because she was talented a**hole. Stop picking on her because she is a big girl. You doing all that talking about her I bet you she got more money in the bank than you do, so she is on tv and in movies and getting paid while you are sitting at home pointing the finger. Get it Gabby! Do your thing

NC

Posted at 2:48 PM on April 25, 2010

She was great for a first appearance we will see her again on SNL. Take it easy boss.

DD

Posted at 12:52 PM on April 27, 2010

No, no they won’t because the only people who are on SNL twice are people who make use laugh and are in more than one movie. Unless they make precious 2, 3 and the prequel, which I would hope is the story of gaining 400 unhealthy pounds, she will never be back on.

Listen putting her in the limelight and not expecting feedback about her weight and the fact that she will not be in another movie is like expecting nothing to be broken with a Bull in a China Shop.

Hate me or love me she is just a huge , in more ways than one, way for America to feel good about themselves and their giant weight problem.

obgyn

Posted at 2:27 PM on April 25, 2010

She’s a young college girl who never had an acting job until Precious. She’s new and has a lot to learn but she is trying. At least she’s not an out of wedlock mother living on welfare. She’s a nice girl.

KC

Posted at 2:16 PM on April 25, 2010

guy, she is still young and new to the trade. Give her a break

sylvia

Posted at 2:12 PM on April 25, 2010

Leave her alone you a-hole your just hatin cause you are a mere nobody who nobody knows….a wannabe!! What was your name again ?!!

Tom

Posted at 8:44 PM on April 25, 2010

is it possible to give a negative critique without being labelled a hater? would the possibility of someone to actually have no hate whatsoever, and instead actually have some criticism meant to help the other person grow and become better actually have more love than hate?

it’s almost like you made your comment without thinking.