EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION! Bret Michaels: Brain Hemorrhage Explained — What It Is And How Serious

Fri, April 23, 2010 8:58pm EST by 35 Comments

042310_brett_michaels_544_WU9P2079_R1

Bret Michaels has been rushed to an LA hospital with a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage — which is bleeding in the brain and  apparently Michaels’ publicist has confirmed to ABC News.com that there is bleeding at the base of his brain stem.

HollywoodLife.com consulted Dr. Dexter Sun, a neurologist at New York Presbyterian Cornell-Weill Medical College, to find out what this type of brain hemorrhage is, and what the prognosis can be.

“If this is massive and especially if the brain stem is involved, this is usually very serious,” says Dr. Sun. “If the hemorrhage was minor, usually it would resolve on it’s own. However, if it’s massive, the most common cause would be a cerebral aneurysm.”

Dr. Sun explained that if Michaels’ hemorrhage was caused by an aneurysm, he would need a very skillful brain surgeon to operate and “clip” the aneurysm to stop it.

If the hemorrhage is not caused by an aneurysm, it could be caused by a brain injury or by a blood clotting factor defect . If caused by a blood clotting factor defect, Michaels would be transfused with blood clotting factor to stop the bleeding.

It is very important to control the severe headache pain and to decrease pressure in the brain, according to Dr. Sun.

Severe headache pain can increase pressure in the brain ,which can then increase the hemorrhage and if the brain swells, it can be very dangerous if it pushes down on the brain stem, explains Dr. Sun.”The brain stem truly is the center of life — it’s the center of breathing.” Severe pressure on the brain stem  can cause “‘brain herniation’ which could cause a a coma.” A brain herniation occurs when brain tissue, blood vessels and cerebrospinal fluid are pressed away from their usual position in the head.

To prevent that, doctors would make a hole in Michaels’ skull , put a catheter into the ventricles of his brain and would also give him medication to reduce the pressure.

Michaels’ doctors will also be on watch for another complication — a blood vessel spasm, which can cause a stroke. They will likely give him medication to prevent that.

Dr. Sun doesn’t believe that either Michaels diabetes or his recent emergency appendectomy are a factor in this cerebral hemorrhage unless there was a very rare and massive infection following his appendectomy. “The infection would have had to reach his brain, but that’s unlikely,” says Dr. Sun.

As for Michaels’ outcome, Dr. Suns says — “If he’s alert and talkative, that’s a good sign. If he’s talkative, the outcome is usually good.”

Let’s all hope that’s the case and that Bret is soon on his way to recovery!

- Bonnie Fuller

NurseRiverBoat

Posted at 12:29 AM on April 26, 2010

A brain hemorrhage in the brain stem can be catastrophic because this is where the body’s respiratory and cardiac centers are regulated.
The thin thread of hope that we can all cling to is the fact that Brett Michaels is talking and breathing on his own. Hopefully – he’ll be in a quiet, dark room in the ICU with minimal noxious stimulus, which means NO WAY have Donald Trump come in for a bedside visit!!!!
Here’s wishing all the best for Brett Michaels; he’s got two adorable daughters that need their father to be around to raise them. God bless.

Sally

Posted at 9:47 PM on April 25, 2010

** Remember this is not Bret’s Dr. My father complained for days of a horrible head ache. One night at 3 am he collasped
they put him in a coma so the brain wouldn’t swell. They let him wake up and he could communicate with writing but not speaking cuz of the tubes in the throat. We thought OMG he’s going to get better. They had him on moraphine since the pain was so intense. One day he became vegetative so they called for the people who harvest organs since he was a donor. Before they arrived he woke up !..Seems they can be comatose and have no signs of life. This went on for 2 months when finally we had to open and close his eyes for him and he was no longer responsive. He passed shortly before x mas. The message is people if you have a head ache in the back of your head get to the hospital for christ sake….

April

Posted at 2:42 PM on April 25, 2010

Why is everyone freaking out about this guy??

He is human just like everyone else!!!

He has money, money buys great health care, and the best surgeons!!

This happens everyday in this country, he is no different than the guy down the street, or my uncle. That’s life, you are nothin without your health, it doesn’t matter even if you are a rockstar!!!!!

not given

Posted at 2:49 PM on April 25, 2010

The most dangerous place in the world for a person with diabetes is a hospital.

Mary

Posted at 2:33 PM on April 25, 2010

Dear Bret,

You are one of my favorite musicians. You are so talented and very, very HOT!!! I cried when I heard what happened to you, because I know how serious a brain hemmorage can be! I am so happy that you seem to be coming around, and you are in my prayers every day. Please take it easy and rest!! You are also an awesome soul with all that you do for the causes that are so important to you. I also have diabetes. I know that it a cause that is close to your heart, and that you do so much for it!! I love you and pray that you get well soon!!!

Love, peace & prayers,

Mary

K.D.

Posted at 1:21 PM on April 25, 2010

I am still praying for you Bret. We are all sending you our love and prayers. We hope for a speedy recovery and that you can put this behind you and get back to your children and on with your life again. I saw you in concert last summer at the Cleveland Rib Burn Off and you were amazing as always. I was the woman dancing by myself over on the left side…Big John has me on your video I’m sure. My husband and I stayed after the show and met your drummer, bass player and keyboardist…Heather too. They all signed my BMB t-shirt which is hanging in my room to this day. If you do a search on facebook for yourself my pictures from the concert should come up for you to see. I admire you for your music and for all that you do for our vets and our troops. You are such a wonderful soul. Get Well Soon. ~ With Love, Kathy in Ohio.

jdsylvia

Posted at 8:24 AM on April 25, 2010

BRET: Miss ya …hope your well very soon !!! you are a beautiful person inside & outside, with a spectacular voice & personna. as soon as you get well, we all will be alot happier !!!! God willing you will have a speedy quick recovery we are all rooting and praying for you+++ May God Bless you everyday & especially now !!! luv ya much, Keep on Rocking on…JD***

Cathy Myers Aker

Posted at 7:43 PM on April 24, 2010

Bret – My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I would love to be able to contact your Dad or Mom. You see we are related and I would love to be in touch with them again. Your Dad was close to my Dad and my Grandfather. You may remember your great uncle Paul C. Myers he just loved you and your sister Michelle so much. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Will miss you on the Apprentice. Hang in there and stay tough. God Bless.
Cathy

max martin

Posted at 7:41 PM on April 24, 2010

Bret, you know me, Mark and Chris are praying for you man. We love you and I miss talkin’ to you. If your publicist or if Joanna gets on here hopefully she’ll be reading these to you!

I miss you and love you.

Matt Mealiffe, M.D.

Posted at 6:27 PM on April 24, 2010

Sad news about Bret Michaels.

Daniel Boone

Posted at 3:51 PM on April 24, 2010

Oooohh Bret, We hope all turns out for the better. You’re the ultimate rock star. And one heck of a Celebrity Apprentice. Donald loves you man. We were shocked when we heard the news…47 years old…you got your life ahead pof you brother. We were encouraged that it was reported that you were alert and talkative. That sounds like Bret I’ll tell you. I don’t think any topic can be covered in 1200 words or less…that’s what we love. You are an extremely down to earth star. Take care of yourself and those kids. Peace

r porter

Posted at 3:37 PM on April 24, 2010

still recovering from this same massive hemorrhage.
Harbor View Trauma Center in Seattle, May 2008 saved my life!
It is a very long and slow recovery now 2 years for me but……I AM ALIVE and this they say is a miracle!
God Bless you Bret!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florence Manzi

Posted at 3:34 PM on April 24, 2010

Bret,
My prayers are with you and your family for a full and speedy recovery. Keep your diabetes in check, that is not a disease to play around with. Rest and take all the time you need to fully recover. We all need you to stick around for a long time more. I pray for your full and speedy recovery.
A long time fan from Syracuse, N.Y.
Florence Manzi

Michael and Lori

Posted at 3:02 PM on April 24, 2010

This really hits home wit me (Lori).My sister dies at 49 yrs. old at my home Nov. 22,2005 with the exact same thing that Bret has. We just thought she had a severe headache due to stress and the fact she suffered sinus infection all the time. She had a stroke and went into a coma and then passed away. It was all so sudden and a shock to the whole family. I still greve for her and Bret is special to my husband and I both being we were both fans for 25 years. We were at an after concert party in Joliet,IL and he seemed so nice and down to earth. We were so suprised and impressed with his personality. This saddens us and we are so hoping for a total recovery. God Bless you Bret! We love you!

anonymous

Posted at 1:38 PM on April 24, 2010

I HOPE HE WILL BE OK, AND THIS IS VERY SERIOUS. WE WILL SOON KNOW WHAT IT IS. HE SOUNDS LIKE A TOUGH GUY, BUT EVEN TOUGH GUYS NEED TO REALIZE THEY ARE HUMAN..

anonymous

Posted at 1:41 PM on April 24, 2010

ALSO, I BELIEVE THIS IS FROM HIS HEAD INJURY AT THE TONYS, AND THE EXTREMELY HIGH TEMP HE HAD AFTER HIS SURGERY. IF I WERE HIM, I WOULD GO AFTER THEM, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS DETERMINED HE INJURED HIS BRAIN STEM WHEN HIT BY THE PROP. I WOULD SUE THE HE__ OUT OF THEM. THEY WERE SO DISRESPECTFUL TO HIM. I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER IF IT WAS THAT, AND NOT AN ANEURYSM AND /OR CONGENITAL PROBLEM, SO THEY CAN FIX IT. IT JUST SEEMS SO COINCIDENTAL, AND AN ANEURYSM, PROBABLY WOULD BE FAMILIAL, SO A FAMILY HISTORY WOULD HELP WITH THAT. OR THE OTHER THING MENTIONED WOULD BE FAMILIAL TOO.

dee

Posted at 12:07 AM on April 25, 2010

Uhhh, that was almost a YEAR ago–June 2009. Previous head injury means in the last couple of weeks, not 10 months ago!

beachgrace

Posted at 1:19 PM on April 24, 2010

I am thinking is this due to the head injury he received performing with his band on stage a few months ago? My prayers are with you.

Wayne

Posted at 12:14 PM on April 24, 2010

I had this happen to me in 1998. The doctor for this job is Dr. Gary Steinburg of the Steinburg Stroke Center at Stanford Medical School in Palo Alto, CA. My aneurysm happened in the same way. I underwent 17 hrs of surgery, and left the hospital 6 days later. This man is amazing. If anyone has any questions please contact me.

All the best,
Wayne

Breakfree

Posted at 11:21 AM on April 24, 2010

The alternative way for Brett to truly find out what caused his brain hemorrhage and to get control of his diabetes is to get a Naturopathic Physician. Hopefully he will see the light with this near death experience and do just that. Breaking out of the box of traditional medicine and into naturopathic medicine is the way to avoid being prematurely ending up in a box (coffin).

Melodica

Posted at 11:47 AM on April 24, 2010

Um… Bret has to survive first. Then, he will have to go through significant brain injury rehab. And while naturopathy and a holistic approach is wonderful, it’s not gonna stop a brain bleed, which was probably caused by an aneurysm or a previous injury. Type I diabetes is a complicating circumstance, but not the probable cause of this event – and Type I is much less easily controlled than Type II. This is not preventive medicine, this is a life-threatening emergency.

max martin

Posted at 7:36 PM on April 24, 2010

Listen, your homeopathic crap may be ok for you BUT Bret’s been INSULIN dependent since he was 6 years old. There’s ABSOLUTELY NO WAY he could come off the insulin…Are you insane? There are moronic people on here that MAY listen to your posting and as you put it, may end up in a box/coffin BECAUSE THEY LISTENED TO YOU. Get a life….You can’t replace good old fashioned medicine…I know I’ve had 9 emergency brain surgeries and a brain disease….

Juliana

Posted at 11:11 AM on April 24, 2010

Brett, I grew to like you ALOT on this season’s “Celebrity Apprentice” due to your leadership, good attitude, and effective business like qualities in getting tasks done. You demontrate such a great spirit on the show and I really like that. So, get better! I am praying hard for you! You can do this!!

mimi

Posted at 11:02 AM on April 24, 2010

Brett all the best to you, you are in good hands with your doctors I hope????

obgyn

Posted at 10:51 AM on April 24, 2010

Brett, we love you and our prayers are with you.

janet

Posted at 8:51 AM on April 24, 2010

Brent my prayers are with you, hope all goes well and your back to making that great music, your a wounderfull person with a great hearth. God Bless

Meredith

Posted at 4:49 AM on April 24, 2010

I hope Bret getting knocked out at the Tonys didn’t have something to do with this.

anonymous

Posted at 1:43 PM on April 24, 2010

IT DID HAPPEN AT THE TONY’S. BET YOU, BET YOU THEY ARE WORRIED ABOUT A SUIT. THEY SHOULD BE, AS THEY ARE AT FAULT, AND WERE COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE AND MEAN TO HIM ABOUT IT.

dee

Posted at 12:07 AM on April 25, 2010

Not a chance. That happened 10 months ago.

Sherry

Posted at 10:41 PM on April 23, 2010

God be with you- wonder whether or not you’ve ever realized how big of an impact you and your music have had on our lives- the songs are like a scrap book of wonderful memories- Love to Raine and Jorga- we are praying for you.

MICHELANGE

Posted at 10:26 PM on April 23, 2010

Bret you look hot

Katarina

Posted at 9:40 PM on April 23, 2010

Bret…you are in our prayers….much love…

lindsey

Posted at 2:30 PM on April 24, 2010

We are praying for you too!

NorthwestSue

Posted at 3:10 PM on April 24, 2010

Bret, your music has brought me through some really tough times in my life. Hopefully your doctors and our prayers can bring you through this really tough time in your life. God speed to you.