EXCLUSIVE 'IDOL' BEHIND-THE-SCENES: Casey James More Interested In Orianthi Than His Possible Elimination!

Thu, April 22, 2010 1:40pm EDT by 87 Comments

Goldilocks rocker Casey found himself in the bottom three April 21, but didn’t seem to be bothered by possibly getting the boot: he was too busy checking out the ‘talent’!

“Idol Gives Back” was an emotional night. Not only did we see touching and deeply upsetting videos of needy children around the globe, but we lost ‘Teflon’ Tim Urban (which most of you will actually be happy about, gauging by your response to my post yesterday). But if Casey James was affected by the heartbreaking footage, he didn’t show it — he was too busy ogling Orianthi!

While Mary J. Blige. Steve Vai, Travis Barker, Idol judge Randy Jackson and Orianthi Michael Jackson’s last musical discovery — rocked out onstage to Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” April 21, I couldn’t help but notice that the flaxen-haired rocker couldn’t take his eyes off Orianthi, and seemed as equally impressed by her leather pants as he did her rockin’ guitar solo.

Turns out I was right! After the lengthy performance, Casey made a bee-line for the 25-year-old Australian singer and introduced himself! Do I smell a romance in the making? Casey still has a shot at Idol glory — and maybe even a shot at love if he’s lucky!

You all gave me hell for suggesting Lee DeWyze needed to go home. I’m not taking that back — I refuse to believe the 24-year-old deserves a spot in the final two beside my golden girl Crystal Bowersox . However, I DO think Aaron Kelly needs to be sent packing before Lee goes. Why? Well, you’re right — Lee DOES have a good voice and, shockingly, is way more animated off-screen than he is on. In fact, he couldn’t shut his mouth during the “Idol Gives Back” videos, chatting to Siobhan Magnus, Tim Urban and Crystal Bowersox.

What else went down? Well, Simon Cowell is definitely less cranky now that he’s found fiancée Mezghan Hussainy (whom he hung out with in between commercial breaks)! After a segment where George Lopez voted SIMON off the show, the 50-year-old actually WINKED and gave George, 48, a thumbs up. Hey, he’s going anyway, right? Smart move, Idol!

I can’t let this post go without mentioning Tim Urban’s demise one final time. No matter what you think of the kid, he didn’t get a fair shake last night — if only because he wasn’t allowed to sing his exit song like the other fallen Idols did. I give him credit because that ‘creepy’ smile you all mention never wavered, off camera or on. He may not be a great singer and may not have deserved a spot in the top 5, but kudos to Tim for acting like what a true Idol should be.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Clark

Posted at 2:08 AM on April 26, 2010

Mamasox is good but she is not current.Lee is inconsistance but has that Springteen twang that make him unique. Casey knows who he is and doesn’t deserve all the harsh criticism. Siobhan is talented but doesn’t know who she is.Big Mike should have left the week they saved him,he is boring and obnoxious. AAron looks so scared. I’m afraid he is going to have an accident on stage! This group has some talent but no one knows how to entertain and use the stage. CD sales only with this group only as concerts would be a big bore.

vstar45

Posted at 4:24 PM on April 25, 2010

Everytime I read these posts I have to hold my stomach from laughing so hard. Why aren’t all of you music critics working for the record labels? If you want to talk about a purely ONE dimensional singer, it is Crystal Bowersox. Can she sing anything besides raspy old folk songs? There are only two singers left that deserve to be in top 2. Lee Deewyze and Siobahn Magnus. Two great singers that know how to change up an old song and make their own.A great example was on Rolling Stones nite. Siobahn was excellent. Dreadlocks and folk songs are perfect for the Subway stations but not an American Idol.

LMAO

Posted at 11:00 AM on May 2, 2010

Right on..Bowersox sucks canel water through her nose. And yes I am a music critic and freelance writer as well. I am glad some of these posts are by understanding people and not just a bunch of shirt tail grabbing idiots. Thank you Vstar45

Mitch

Posted at 6:24 PM on May 7, 2010

LMAO, If you are truly a music critic…..then you really are terrible and should be fired on the spot. You obviously have no idea what talent is. She will be huge within a year after Idol. Better get used to her name.

Vince

Posted at 1:01 PM on April 24, 2010

No way Crystal will win, its Lee all the way! Next to go is Big Mike (inconsistant), then Aaron Kelly (looks scared as all get out) , then Siobahn (quirky), The last 3 are solid performers although Casey doesnt look quite comfortable. Record producers arent going to be beating down Crystals doors to sign a deal, And ask youself, are you gonna be wanting to see her in concert, I’d imagine it being a borefest as she does not get the crowd going at all, Great voice, just not an entertainer. Lee on the other hand has an edgy voice and is recordable. He Gets the crowd going! One more thing Laura, get over your crush on Tim, he didnt deserve to make the top 10. He was awful!!! All performers get better over time. Arguably if you remember that Lambert kid who went home early in the competition should have been in Tims spot, he just didnt have the confidence and He’s one that woulda gotten better over time. Time for you to get voted off Laura, dont let your hormones do your thinking for you.

getbacktowork

Posted at 11:30 AM on April 25, 2010

i’ll agree on one thing, it would’ve been nice to see lambert develop. he had a hell of a voice and it was a shame that the tweens didn’t recognize that. apparently tweens may like a good smile (his was as good as tim’s), but they don’t like mullets. as for the crystal/lee stuff you speak- i feel equally as strong with the same opinion in reverse. lee doesn’t move on stage anymore than crystal does, but in my opinion, her voice shares enough emotion to move the audience without her body. and, with her type of music, stomping around on stage would be distracting probably. but, clearly, we’re both blinded by our favorites. i also prefer casey’s voice to lee’s, add in that he can kill the guitar, and that he’s better looking, and TALL… i’m hoping for crystal and casey in the finals, and hoping for a win for crystal, though i like the voices of all 3, even lee. i don’t do concerts, but lord help me, i would never want to see lee in concert without some serious performance improvements that are unimaginable to me at this point in time.

cal dave

Posted at 1:55 PM on April 23, 2010

casey ya you got that.orianthi is hot.and can play a guitar.i hope your dreams come ture for you.real love only comes around one in a life time.i think this was ment to be.good for it .she is for you.rock on and hard.

cuttie*gurl'10

Posted at 1:36 PM on April 23, 2010

Well, Crystal is a really good singer, but if she wins, Im not gonna listen 2 her music. She likes calm, country music, while i lik jumpy(no rap songz except empire state of mind), and people like beyonce and alicia keyz..but thtz juss me.. Thanks Laura. this is mah 1st time awn ur page

cal dave

Posted at 1:34 PM on April 23, 2010

CAL DAVE.to a pont i agree with all of you.i do like lee.but i belive our next idol will be crystal.she is hot.casey is hot.(REMERBER)the judges can only make comment now.if you dont vote and your fav go’s home.why did you not vote.big mike needs to be gone.someone.is vote for him.and 2 saves.we have to vote.i no it cost us money to vote.its a game.the rich get richer the poor get poorer.thats how they make a lot of money off us.?i wonder what would happen if no one vote’it.(lol)just wondering.crystal to win.

Sally

Posted at 12:39 PM on April 23, 2010

Crystal is definitely my favorite. I love her voice. When we got to the final 12, I said to myself, the final 4 should be Crystal, Big Mike, Siobahn, and Lee. Don’t know whether that will be true, but they are my top picks. I like Casey well enough, but he always does the same exact thing…time for him to change it up if he wants to stay in the race. I love Aaron, but he needs more time and work. He may be a star one day. No doubt Tim was a cutie, but it was time for him to go.

afafa

Posted at 12:24 PM on April 23, 2010

lee is so overrated. to deserve a final 2 spot he needs to learn to sing on key. once or twice doesnt do it.

lov2shop

Posted at 12:05 PM on April 23, 2010

I’m totally with you Laura!– Tim deserved the same respect as all the other booted-off want-to-bes– as to Casey– there is no way that guy is going make it to the top so I hope he he finds better luck in the love department- if it’s mutual I raise my glass to them

Elisa

Posted at 11:24 AM on April 23, 2010

You are a 100 % correct Laura. While Lee is a decent singer he is extremely average and not origional what so ever. He reminds me of David Cook without the great voice. Crystal should win and Casey or Siobihan should be in the top 2 with her.

d schoef

Posted at 10:51 AM on April 23, 2010

I THINK THIS HAS BECOME A POP CONTEST FOR TEENAGE GIRLS, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TALENT CONTEST. TIM URBAN WAS PITIFUL.

gbtw

Posted at 1:32 PM on April 23, 2010

i’m pretty sure it always has been, it just took us awhile to figure out how many tweeny girls were pretending to their parents to be asleep, but instead texting votes under the covers all night.

music lover

Posted at 11:38 AM on April 26, 2010

Bravo to the person who reminded us that it is a singing competition. So far as the singing, clearly Shioban has the pipes to make it, but you’re right, she needs to find her “niche”. Clearly Tim had the charm, and the looks for the tweens, but the voice….. not so much. Shioban clearly has the pipes, Mamasox is great, Casey and Lee will both do well in their respective venues, and I can see them being the final three.

Kathy

Posted at 9:58 AM on April 23, 2010

I agree with everything you said Laura. Aaron should go before Lee, and if Crystal Bowersox doesn’t win, no one will ever convince me that the whole thing isn’t fixed. She is, I believe the best they have had since Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.

AB

Posted at 8:27 AM on April 23, 2010

YES Crystal should win BUT Lee desreves to be in the top 3
CRYSTAL, LEE CASEY THOSE are the BEST NUFF SAID

Steve Jones

Posted at 8:09 AM on April 23, 2010

They’d be a hot couple for sure…

Flower

Posted at 6:51 AM on April 23, 2010

Idol is a package deal. Talent, looks and how they present them selfs. Casey’s got it. Tim has it except for the vocal talent. The judges do not make the winner. Its the girlie power and ATT&T. Remember Adam and Kris Allen.

Pam

Posted at 8:34 PM on April 22, 2010

Are you nuts! Lee is the best singer on Idol this season with his gruff voice. Casey is great too, but he’s so damn hot, it doesn’t matter. The rest can all go home.

Suzanne

Posted at 8:15 PM on April 22, 2010

Laura…I absolutely agree with you on Lee…I don’t get all of the accolades getting tossed at this kid. He’s very inconsistent, his vocals are frequently less than stellar, and he’s got no personality whatsoever! What the attraction is with this guy, I have no idea. And I agree that Aaron needs the boot! I love Crystal and Casey, and I think the judges are being extremely biased to both; they never say a negative word to Crystal (who, I believe, ALWAYS sounds the same), but constantly bombard Casey with criticisms about his always sounding the same! Pretty hypocritical! I think Casey’s looks are working against him, and the fact that he’s determined to remain true to himself! He’ so far much better than Kris Allen ever was, and it’s disturbing to see him get slammed constantly!

getbacktowork

Posted at 12:01 AM on April 23, 2010

i am too blindly in love with crystal to agree with you that she “sounds the same” every week… not saying you’re wrong, just saying i can’t see her in anything less than a perfect light! now, as for the unfairness in the judging of casey- you are SPOT on! he’s a million times better than lee, stays true to himself (like crystal), and does not deserve the criticism if they’re not giving it to anyone else on the same points. kara is just trying to mask her cougar love for him, and i have no respect for her opinions anyway. they’re almost never based in reality, and almost always based in ‘what would make me look best to say?’ or, ‘what’s simon gonna say?’ in any case, i do hope crystal and casey are in the finals. he deserves to be there.

Karen

Posted at 6:49 PM on April 22, 2010

Get it, Casey! I’d be ogling Orianthi too though – she’s gorgeous.

I agree, Laura. Actually, I think Aaron Kelly shouldn’t have even made the top 12 in the first place, and would much rather still have Tim there. He seemed to be improving a lot, and I love his always-positive attitude. Can’t wait to see him on tour!

Jenna Wiggins

Posted at 6:49 PM on April 22, 2010

It’s all about singing and Casy is better. Like Dancing with the Stars. I love Kate, but she can’t dance, so she had to go.

gbtw

Posted at 5:01 PM on April 22, 2010

ps- re casey. i have this odd feeling that casey has already checked out of this competition mentally, and knows he can’t win b/c of the judge’s obsession with lee, and higher standards/criticisms for casey. i think the guy prefers his guitar to his voice, anyway, and probably genuinely wanted to talk guitar to that chick… even though you clearly were in a better position to see if he was into her or not!

Mae

Posted at 2:41 AM on April 24, 2010

You are right on the money. All Casey wanted was top 10. Even though he continually said “I’ll give you more!” He never did.

gbtw

Posted at 4:57 PM on April 22, 2010

hi laura! i 100% agree with you that tim’s attitude was laudible! that is exactly why within a few weeks of the show, i got over the fact that he just couldn’t compete talent-wise with (m)any of them, and didn’t mind if he hung out for awhile. (if he caused crystal’s demise, i’d have a different opinion, of course.) the judges for weeks and weeks slammed him and said he was terrible and that he was only there b/c of the tweens and all sorts of mean (albeit true) things. they never spoke positively about his performances (in the beginning, it truly was NEVER). and, despite that all, this guy always remained positive and just went with it and did his best and simply tried to enjoy whatever time he had, smiling his way through it all. i really sincerely admired that and think for that, he simply must be one hell of a guy. but, you know, his performances… we don’t need to go there. maybe it was actually KIND that he didn’t have to perform after 2hrs of a show that was peppered with professional top notch talent. (urban following mjb? yah, that sounds like salt in a wound, to me.)

scarla

Posted at 7:09 PM on April 22, 2010

What was kind to the world at large was not having Tiny Tim do his swan song after ELTON. American Idol gives back…..

mimi

Posted at 11:30 AM on April 23, 2010

Yes GBTW….they saved us for that last song…..thanks god!

mimi

Posted at 2:58 PM on April 22, 2010

yes yes Casey ….she is very interesting…..and thanks God Tim went out last night, finally….and thank God he did not sing after all the big stars, it would have ended the show completely wrong, lucky for him there “was not time”…..good excuse!!!!!!

Robyn

Posted at 2:18 PM on April 22, 2010

I’m glad I read this. Now I know who she is. I did notice she was pretty and played a pretty mean guitar. That’s interesting that Casey likes her. I hope he asks her out. They would be a cute couple! Go Casey!

Interesting!

Posted at 1:49 PM on April 22, 2010

Wow, great news. I have heard that Orianthi was impressed with Casey too! They are both awesome – would be nice!

Kim

Posted at 1:11 PM on April 22, 2010

Go CASEY JAMES!!!!!!! Vote Vote Vote

Orianthi and Casey would just be two hot together

Ingrid

Posted at 11:52 PM on April 23, 2010

Well personally, I am all for Aaron! That kid has the most AMAZING voice, and he’s only sixteen!!! Really now, plus there were three times that he had to sing sick as a dog and still pulled it off and was awesome! Crystal, Casey, Tim and Lee are my other favs but Aaron is at the top of my list, he was tied with Katie Stevens but she’s gone now! :( Listen to the big, loud vocals! They really had it Crystal sounds like she’s screaming half the time and that other chick Siobahn, her too. come on now! They have vocals but it’s too high/pushed out sounding!

Keti

Posted at 7:00 PM on April 25, 2010

I agree!!! Finally someone that knows what music is all about. Krystal screams like she is hurting. How come judges like these can not see that???? Do they want to go along with her because she smiles and says thank you to them??? do they like it when the contestants curtsy to them?
The real singing and entertaining voice is Siobahn. She brings sentiments to the surface she rocks!!! She make us go to different places and just rock with her. I feel great when I listen to her. Her voice is rare and it is missing from the entertaining industry. She reminds me of what kindness is all about, what singing out to be and how different she is. Bravo Siobahn. sorry if I spelled your name wrong.