EXCLUSIVE 'IDOL' BEHIND-THE-SCENES: Casey James More Interested In Orianthi Than His Possible Elimination!

Thu, April 22, 2010 1:40pm EDT by 87 Comments

Goldilocks rocker Casey found himself in the bottom three April 21, but didn’t seem to be bothered by possibly getting the boot: he was too busy checking out the ‘talent’!

“Idol Gives Back” was an emotional night. Not only did we see touching and deeply upsetting videos of needy children around the globe, but we lost ‘Teflon’ Tim Urban (which most of you will actually be happy about, gauging by your response to my post yesterday). But if Casey James was affected by the heartbreaking footage, he didn’t show it — he was too busy ogling Orianthi!

While Mary J. Blige. Steve Vai, Travis Barker, Idol judge Randy Jackson and Orianthi Michael Jackson’s last musical discovery — rocked out onstage to Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” April 21, I couldn’t help but notice that the flaxen-haired rocker couldn’t take his eyes off Orianthi, and seemed as equally impressed by her leather pants as he did her rockin’ guitar solo.

Turns out I was right! After the lengthy performance, Casey made a bee-line for the 25-year-old Australian singer and introduced himself! Do I smell a romance in the making? Casey still has a shot at Idol glory — and maybe even a shot at love if he’s lucky!

You all gave me hell for suggesting Lee DeWyze needed to go home. I’m not taking that back — I refuse to believe the 24-year-old deserves a spot in the final two beside my golden girl Crystal Bowersox . However, I DO think Aaron Kelly needs to be sent packing before Lee goes. Why? Well, you’re right — Lee DOES have a good voice and, shockingly, is way more animated off-screen than he is on. In fact, he couldn’t shut his mouth during the “Idol Gives Back” videos, chatting to Siobhan Magnus, Tim Urban and Crystal Bowersox.

What else went down? Well, Simon Cowell is definitely less cranky now that he’s found fiancée Mezghan Hussainy (whom he hung out with in between commercial breaks)! After a segment where George Lopez voted SIMON off the show, the 50-year-old actually WINKED and gave George, 48, a thumbs up. Hey, he’s going anyway, right? Smart move, Idol!

I can’t let this post go without mentioning Tim Urban’s demise one final time. No matter what you think of the kid, he didn’t get a fair shake last night — if only because he wasn’t allowed to sing his exit song like the other fallen Idols did. I give him credit because that ‘creepy’ smile you all mention never wavered, off camera or on. He may not be a great singer and may not have deserved a spot in the top 5, but kudos to Tim for acting like what a true Idol should be.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

linda

Posted at 6:42 PM on May 10, 2010

to any one that says casey is not talented, is just stupid. all the contestents are good, but casey is my pick. hes got it all. id like to adopte him LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginak17

Posted at 6:19 PM on May 10, 2010

WE LOVE CASEY JAMES !!! GO CASEY AND MAMASOX LOVEYA BOTH!

Ginak17

Posted at 6:18 PM on May 10, 2010

GO CASEY—will vote for you here in CT till our fingers fall off !!! YOU have an awesome voice, awesome looks —I don’t see how anyone could vote for 1/2 the package with Lee when you can have the whole package with Casey?? Makes no sense to me. Lee has a nice voice too, but he is the most average joe guy I have ever seen—has NO star quality whatsoever and ZERO sex appeal. Like Elvis was, I believe American woman are due a new HEART THROB— and YOU fit the bill Casey……anyone saying you can not sing good…very obviously is just plain Jealous of you!!! You sing as great as you look and that is a very RARE thing to find!!!! YOU and mamasox are the best and should be the final 2.

linda

Posted at 9:08 PM on May 10, 2010

i agree with you 100% about casey. but mamasox dont know if she wants to be a want to be janis japlen or a fake may west.sorry!!!!

pam s

Posted at 10:09 AM on May 10, 2010

I agree with Ellen…..Harry Connick Jr should be the replacement for Simon. Great Addition.

Campbell Hayden

Posted at 1:57 PM on May 6, 2010

I’ve been saying from the the beginning, what Kara has finally just touched on. Casey James can’t TRULY sing at all, doesn’t hold the lines long enough AND, my description of that billy-goat (false & pushed) vibrato is more than imitating a lamb. It simply creates an Elvis or an early Reba McEntire as they put a ‘wiggle’ at the end of every line they sing rather than letting their VOICES, and natural vibrato, do the work. WHO CARES ABOUT HIS ELIMINATION? HE’S NOTHING.

linda

Posted at 6:56 PM on May 10, 2010

you dont know what your talking about, caseys got it all going for him ..LOOKS, VOISE,and boy, he can really play that guitar. i’d like to adopt him LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!GO CASEY

Campbell Hayden

Posted at 1:48 PM on May 6, 2010

I’ve been saying from the the beginning, what Kara finally just touched on. Casey James can’t TRULY sing, doesn’t hold the lines long enough AND, my description of that billy-goat (false & pushed) vibrato is more than imitating a lamb. It simply imitates Elvis or an early Reba McEntire and and puts a ‘wiggle’ at the end of every line they sing rather than letting their VOICES do the work.

heather

Posted at 11:03 AM on May 6, 2010

I really hope crystal bowersox wins…I think she has loads of talent and will go far…I think Randy called it right..she is the second coming of Bonnie Raitt!

jerry

Posted at 12:17 PM on May 6, 2010

Bowersocks is really good, I think she could really win. She reminds me of Janice Joplin,hey bowersox how about some me and Bobby Mcgee.

Deb

Posted at 11:02 AM on May 6, 2010

Lee definitely is the front runner, overall much more versatile and really puts everything into his performances. He listens and takes all criticism and improves each and every week.

Ttweety64

Posted at 11:52 PM on May 3, 2010

Sibo ( screamer ) yes she could hit some high notes …… but even then like simon said it was like she was giving birth. That is not talent …… that is someone with a good voice but only uses one aspect of it. Not one time did she make a song her own. Tim ….. glad to see him off …. very boring and sleepy singer. If Crystal is so bad why do so many people love her music already? When she makes her first cd I will be the first inline to purchase it. Ditz her hair ……ditz her clothes ….. ditz whatever ….. but the girl has talent.

Miss Lou

Posted at 11:21 AM on May 2, 2010

It should be Crystal no question there. Andrew should have gone home weeks ago, and Aaron, well he is too young so hasn’t got an equal footing, Like David Archeletta, come again next year or in 2 years. I really love Ellen, but not on Idol. Not animated enough. Lee needs to go, of course he got better in past 2 weeks. And Michael, well he is just another Luther type singer, good, but doesn’t stand out. In the end, the right people get careers no matter where they place at the end. And Siobhan ,love her, and kept getting mixed signals from Simon!
Can’t imagine it without Simon.

Jody

Posted at 2:00 PM on April 29, 2010

Agree – it is difficult to choose between Lee and Crystal. At first I was leaning towards Crystal – but Lee has recently shown more ability to make songs “his own”.

Aunt Marinee

Posted at 1:24 PM on April 29, 2010

I think Arron Kelly should be among the top 3 idols. He is young but has excellant vocals. He just needs experience under his belt.

Shelley

Posted at 9:00 AM on May 6, 2010

I agree that Aaron Kelley shouldn’t have gotten voted off. He should be with the Top 3 finalists. It should be Crystal, Lee, and Aaron. I think Casey needed to go this week instead of Aaron. People please it’s American Idol and to be based on vocal talent and entertainment factor. NOT a modeling gig, unto which I don’t think he’s that fantastic looking!!

Bobby

Posted at 10:23 AM on April 29, 2010

When American Idol first premiered this year I did not care for Chrystal Bowersox at all. However after some time she has really grown on me and after reading several articles have found out that she is a very sincere loving person. She also battles diabetes but made it perfectly clear that she wanted no sympathy for there are millions that suffer from her same illness. The two performances that won me over were “Put A Candle In The Window” and “People Get Ready” she has a very beautiful voice and I believe she will be our next winner! After her breaking down and crying for being so happy that her father was there after singing “People Get Ready” just really moved me. You go Chrystal and I wish you the best!

LMAO

Posted at 10:56 AM on May 2, 2010

Hang in there Bobby,if she wins maybe she will tell you the name of her dealer. Your’e a loser just like she is.

jane

Posted at 9:42 AM on May 6, 2010

Wake Up! She has more talent in her baby toe than the entire line-up together. Her singing/performance is effortless. Does she have looks – no. Does she have savy? No. But she can sing ‘em out the park. You obviously don’t know musical talent.

heather

Posted at 11:07 AM on May 6, 2010

oh please….what a nasty comment!

Jimmy G

Posted at 10:12 AM on April 29, 2010

No doubt that past years have had better talent… the one thing this year that seems odd to me is CASEY. This guy has loads of talent and has the looks to go with it. You always look for the “package” and he has it but for some reason he seems to just skim by each week.Not sure what AMERICA does not pick up on with CASEY. This guy with the right management could rock the recording world.

Aunt Marinee

Posted at 1:28 PM on April 29, 2010

I agree He just needs to put more feeling into his music.

trishawnnr

Posted at 7:02 AM on April 29, 2010

I disagree that Lee Dewyze should be sent home. At first I didn’t think much about him but as the season goes on I have notice he does have a great voice… I think he can make it to the top two. I dont get where everyone thinks Casey is so hot… But he is a good singer also and could be the other contestant in the top two.

L F Hawkins

Posted at 12:52 AM on April 29, 2010

I agree that DeWyze should have gone home already. I don’t get the appeal. I also was never impressed with Mike. Tim was not that bad. Aaron, Crystal and Casey are the best.

Rex

Posted at 2:02 PM on April 27, 2010

if a contestant needs to go , its the over-hyped Crystal Bowersox !!!! Boring , un-original ! Is she better than Allison or Adam from last season , not even close !!! After a short lived successful period she is destined to next be found in the .99 cent cd bins along with Fantasia and Rueben and a few other top finishers ……..sorry just not good enough !!

KT

Posted at 8:01 AM on April 29, 2010

your probably just a no talent jealous wanna be singer who doesn’t know talent sh!!.

Megan

Posted at 8:11 AM on April 29, 2010

Rex……………..Thank you, thank you, thank you, for that comment. They have soooooooooooo over-hyped Crystal Bowersox ! In my opinion American Idol has been over-hyped (along with that classy girlfriend of Simon’s, you didn’t see Terri on the internet with a man grabbing her breast). His latest girlfriend selection says everything I originally thought about his ability to spot real talent. I know the man is loaded but there’s something called luck I guess. Look at the Idol numbers. Look at the number of Idol seasons. Look at the number of contestants “the judges” have selected. Look at the number of Idols in the 99 cent CD bin (and that’s if they make a CD) and it’s pretty obvious they have done very little in spotting real talent and they have the financial backing. Thank goodness for Carrie. Simon was hard on Jennifer because of her appearance (I will not cover that subject again), at one point said she should go back to or go to singing on cruise ships but Jennifer, Carrie, Aiken, and Daughtry have had the most success I think. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. You couldn’t give me a Bowersox CD. I would listen to a DeWyze and the Lambert kid that was booted off early on this season but Idol is a one big joke.

Donna Lesser

Posted at 12:46 PM on April 29, 2010

Here’s what I think. I am 63 in July. I’ve been watching talent shows my ENTIRE LIFE. The first one I remember is Arthur Godfrey – and Julius LaRosa. Watching that meter move when the audience clapped. The world is full of people like me who absolutely LOVE talent shows. My feeling is that IDOL should continue for as long as possible. Change out the judges to give the show some spice. Make a few changes every season or so. This is a show that is entertaining and makes people happy. That’s a feat in itself – making people happy. Not to mention that there has been alot of supberb talent that we may have never seen had it not been for this show. The Nashville Talent Show was another – Miranda Lambert is fabulous. And I personally saw the Terry show with his vantriliquist act. The most amazing talent. Let’s don’t forget the first of them all – Kelly Clarkson. But there is no match for Miss Carrie Underwood. She is the TOTAL PACKAGE.
And I love her, love her, love her. Adam Lambert is full of talent. And let’s not forget all the others…….from IDOL who are selling millions of records. But my very personal favorite is JENNIFER HUDSON. I predicted it all the way from the beginning. IDOL – thanks for giving me something to race home from work for 2 times a week. GO MAMASOX!

Rosalind

Posted at 9:47 AM on May 8, 2010

Hey Donna, thanks for the memories of Arthur Godfrey, that I forgot, now that you have brouth to the light it was a good show and American Idol is much better I agree with all you said there is a lot of great talent however if Lee wins I will not be disappointed if Krystal is runner up. This has been a great season.

Debbie

Posted at 9:14 AM on May 2, 2010

Don’t forget Kelly Clarkson!

Donna Lesser

Posted at 12:35 PM on April 29, 2010

Sad that you feel that way. There is not a doubt in my mind that if for any reason Mamasox should not make it to be the winner…….she will be a star. She already is!

jan

Posted at 7:20 PM on May 3, 2010

Agree 100%
Truth of the matter is Siobhan should not have gone she should have won but this was all down to Simon being a bully yet again.

whateverbena2

Posted at 5:32 PM on April 26, 2010

i think tim need to go a long time ago hes not a good singer and the smile didnt do anything to me. and as far a casey he isnt going to be there much longer either cuz hes not doing much good now yes hes a doll and can sing but not to be and real singer.looks can only go so far.. i know my girl will bew ther to the end crystall u go girl ur going to be our next idol. and i think lee or michael will be up 2nd…

robert c.

Posted at 4:10 PM on April 26, 2010

this whole damn season nine just plain ol’ SUX!

Colleen

Posted at 8:56 PM on April 26, 2010

Early on in the season I said this has to be the worse of all.

Aunt Marinee

Posted at 1:29 PM on April 29, 2010

not so it’s one of the best so far

Lynn

Posted at 11:20 AM on April 26, 2010

I actually liked Tim and thought his voice was good when he sang songs he was comfortable with. Was he the American Idol, no. I agree with Clark that Big Mike should have gone when he was first voted off. He is good, but he sings the same old way and the same old songs,,,,borning. I really like Lee Dewyze and I until the last performance, I thought Crystal Bowersox was overrated. Don’t get me wrong, she is good, but again, until last week, she has been doing the same type of songs with the same voice…Aaron is good but too young. Siobhan I think is very good, but can be screechy at times. Casey is good, but again, his range is limited.

Colleen

Posted at 8:59 PM on April 26, 2010

I am finding it difficult to choose between Lee and Crystal. I think the others are good but not like a professional.

de

Posted at 9:30 AM on April 29, 2010

I agree with Colleen, they are both super talented. As as I read the posts above, it’s a good thing everyone has a right to their own oppinion. I just love Lee, he “ROCKS” and for Crystal, she will go places.

LMAO

Posted at 10:48 AM on May 2, 2010

Only place Crystal will go is to her dealer, she sounds like Janis Joplin and looks like Rob Zombie. What a let down and to think it’s people like you that think you know what talent is. DISAPOINTMENT

de

Posted at 12:15 PM on May 4, 2010

You will see just how good my knowledge is sweetie

de

Posted at 11:07 AM on May 5, 2010

Wow that’s a great compliment for Crystal then if she sounds like Janis to you, bet you would love to have her money, Hang tight, you will see just how good Crystal does

jerry

Posted at 12:23 PM on May 6, 2010

And your credentials for spotting talent are what? Your obviously Dillusional!!!!

Betty

Posted at 10:20 AM on April 29, 2010

I think Lee is good, but Crystal has sounded like a pro from day one. Last nite was my least favorite but she is my pick.

LadyPatty

Posted at 1:28 PM on April 29, 2010

Crystal is the best talent ever found by American Idol. She has natural beauty, amazaing voice and so many other skills. Shes a “NATURAL” talent sensation.

LMAO

Posted at 10:51 AM on May 2, 2010

Same for you. You must be listening to a bubble machine playing through your bong. This girl has very little if any talent other then looking like a hippy. What a diss on American Idol it should be renamed American Freak

de

Posted at 1:51 PM on May 6, 2010

LEE WILL TAKE IT ALL

LMAO

Posted at 10:52 AM on May 2, 2010

Fianlly somebody with some class. You are 100% correct. WTG

Mary M.

Posted at 1:29 PM on May 2, 2010

You fools….can’t you see how the judges, ESPECIALLY SIMON, manipulate the American people to vote for whoever he wants to win. I’ve seen it in the past, and so blatantly this season. Crystal is OK, but not my choice. I thought Siobhan would’ve at least been in the top three…. what a shame Simon misguided you people.

getbacktowork

Posted at 3:40 PM on May 8, 2010

please, mary. don’t be so arrogant to call so many people, fools. that says more about you than anyone else. why is it that so many people assume everyone else is an idiot, rather than just thinking they have a different opinion. i don’t disagree that manipulation by the judges happens, but, no need to call everyone a fool. you need to get over yourself.

jimmy

Posted at 10:33 AM on May 10, 2010

you know it is a singing compitition, but also it’s about pleasing the paying customer. if they would let casey play his guitar more you would see the next kieth urban or brad pasley.the boy is good let him play