Will The ‘American Idol’ Judges Please Stop Blowing Smoke Up Lee DeWyze’s Butt?

Wed, April 21, 2010 1:35pm EDT by 38 Comments
Loading video...

I’m utterly baffled as to why Idol’s most wooden performer consistently draws rave reviews from Simon Cowell & co. — he bores me to tears!

Can somebody PLEASE tell Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, Ellen DeGeneres and Randy Jackson that Lee DeWyze isn’t all that and a bag of chips? I’m sick and tired of the American Idol judges gushing all over his junk as if he’s about to become the next Chris Daughtry. News flash: he’s awful!

Seriously, can the guy show SOME feeling on stage? Even when he’s being heralded as ‘the best performance of the night’ by Kara (he went second, by the way — not too hard to be ‘best’ when one person has gone before you!) all he could do was grin like a dope. Come on dude, EMOTE!

His performance of Simon & Garfunkle’s “The Boxer” during Inspirational Week was anything but. I didn’t feel a thing, besides pissed off that I couldn’t get that three minutes of my life back.

To be fair to Lee “The Snooze” DeWyze, 24, it wasn’t as if many of the other contestants fared much better last night. Casey James’ rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop” was a step up from karaoke, Aaron Kelly believed he could fly (he sang R. Kelly’s “I Believe I Can Fly”, obviously) but I believed he sucked, and even my precious Tim Urban failed miserably with his version of the Goo Goo Dolls’ “Better Days” (I voted for him anyway — he entertains me).

Who saved me from kicking my TV in disgust? The answer is obvious: Crystal Bowersox. Mama Soxsang Curtis Mayfield’s “People Get Ready” so beautifully that I got chills. And talk about inspirational — Crystal, 24, was SO inspired that she even started crying during her performance! Thank God she didn’t quit!

Lee, I suggest you take some lessons from “Mama Sox” because THIS, my friend, is how it should be done!

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

erri

Posted at 10:54 PM on April 23, 2010

Commenting on Lee’s “so called woodeness”…i seem to remember a certain Underwooden who won season 4 and she was
the same-never moving at all or showing much emotion also.
And even though im not a country music fan at all..she has
evolved into a real star.Lee isnt the charmingest Idol contestant i agree(that would be DAVID COOK)Lee does have a
great voice.He will make Top 3 at least and he’ll be signed to a label pretty quick.

And to the person who said crap about Daughtry–remember THIS–he DIDNT win Idol 5,BUT his album was best selling of
07–and still selling almost 5 million by now.And his new
CD aint to bad itself.

This years contestants–well i think they screwed up big time…let a lot of people into the top 24 who didnt deserve
it,so if theres blame,its not amoungst us as fans,its that
other than Crystal,Lee and maybe Casey(HOTT!)theres no one
that seems to be worth voting for.

What a say for the show to end–ya know after Simon goes the
ratings are going to tank and regardless of the others with
contract extensions will just be paid when the show ends.If
i were Simon id put X Factor head to head with Idol and see
who wins the ratings

Dennis Sigmon

Posted at 8:53 AM on April 29, 2010

get your ears checked they are all great!!

k

Posted at 5:54 PM on April 23, 2010

How about you judge the music? He’s good. His tone is great, and it’s actually unique. And rayman- he’s on pitch. Develop an ear.
And your boy? he got voted off. Congrats

rayman

Posted at 12:26 PM on April 23, 2010

you want lee to emote? lee cant even sing in tune when hes standing still and looking blank. how off key do you think he will be if he moves around or puts in some emotion.

Lori

Posted at 11:00 AM on April 23, 2010

While he doesn’t show much emotion on stage he has an awesome voice.

Mike

Posted at 2:45 AM on April 23, 2010

How do I get the 3 minutes back I wasted reading your critique… Lee is tremendously talented…and you are clueless.

Karin

Posted at 12:22 AM on April 23, 2010

I love Lee!! You are nuts!! AND I’m getting tired of “Momma Sox” Yes, she has a great voice. She’s a Janis Joplin Clone. It’s been done.

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:47 AM on April 23, 2010

there is a janis joplin influence, but it’s hardly a clone. also, frankly, even if she were a clone, after all these decades, the world is ready for a sober janis. lee’s voice is decent to great at times. i’ll give you that. he connects with his songs internally, but needs to work on connecting with the audience and his stage presence. crystal is way ahead of him on that one. in any case- lee is not awful, you’re right. that’s crazy. his eye contact issues are awful, but he is not.

lov2shop

Posted at 9:48 AM on April 22, 2010

Gotta chime in about the Idol gives back performance last night– think the remaining contestants should take careful note of Mary J. Blige’s performance of Stairway to Heaven– she took a classic song and turned it into something new and incredible– wow is all I can say!!

Posted at 1:36 PM on April 22, 2010

ditto. i also liked to see randy jamming out. that was kinda fun. felt good for him.

Jenna

Posted at 1:11 AM on April 22, 2010

laura you are crazy … the boxer may not have been fantastic, but his other performances have been very impressive.

Steve Jones

Posted at 12:14 AM on April 22, 2010

Everyone that thinks Lee is great is an idiot! The dude can barely speak let alone sing! Laura is right. He’s not going to win. And yeah, TIm Urban sucked but she didn’t say he was awesome. Read the piece again.

Posted at 1:35 PM on April 22, 2010

i don’t think it’s that bad, re lee… but, man, he is SO awkward! i couldn’t stop watching him during the group performance (what i didn’t fastforward through)- his eyes were darting everywhere trying to see a prompter and get cues or something. everyone else was in the moment, and he just looked beyond clumsy. i do think his voice is decent, but man, he is so AWKWARD!

JB

Posted at 4:12 PM on April 22, 2010

Nobody said she said that Tim was amazing but she did say she voted for him. Did YOU read the other posts? I mentioned that I can pick out a bunch of other people on the street who can sing better than him, but it was my argument as to why Tim shouldn’t be getting votes. It’s a matter of opinion, but I would say that more people would say that Lee sings better than Tim hands down.

Also, you don’t know if Lee is an idiot, he might be awkward and not really know how to work the monitors, but he admitted that he isn’t confident. Give the guy some slack, its just like someone had previously mentioned, Carrie Underwood started off with no stage presence and look at her now.

getbacktowork

Posted at 10:43 PM on April 21, 2010

lol! laura, you did set yourself up for this one- the rage posts about your tim votes! i admire you for admitting it, but c’mon!! you ruined all of your credibility, and it’s distracting from your other good points! maybe you could clarify and say that you voted a million times for a bunch of people and just gave tim one pity vote for his smile or something???

scarla

Posted at 10:52 PM on April 21, 2010

Well that one pity-pretty smile vote didn’t matter and ELTON saved us from Tim’s swan song.
Thanks American Idol for letting Elton give back and sing my favorite song in the whole world!!!!

Posted at 1:33 PM on April 22, 2010

my recording cut off at 2hrs so i missed sir elton, AND seeing tim voted off! too bad. thank goodness he didn’t have to sing again. that show was nearly two hours of dreadful to me (minus mjb, some of the other performances, and seeing the softer side of simon when the little girl hugged him). would’ve liked to hear elton…

stebe

Posted at 9:16 PM on April 21, 2010

Emote? Lee “emotes” more than Tim who is one of the fakest, camera panderering performers I’ve ever seen. Plus, he’s always got his weird creepy grin. Has that guy ever had a real conversation with anyone in his life?

JB

Posted at 9:00 PM on April 21, 2010

Quite frankly, people like you are the reason why I hate watching shows like this, because you vote for crappy but good looking singers like Tim. He may be entertainment, but only in the sense that he sucks so bad and you just want to see him go home. I can walk down the street and pick out a bunch of other people who can probably sing better if not as good as he can without even trying. Please.
And to be quite honest, yes Lee doesn’t draw much attention, but he is an amazing singer compared to Tim. Lee deserves to be on the show way more than Tim does, and I expected Tim to leave a long time ago, but people still keep him around. (Sanjaya anyone?) It’s frustrating as hell and if Tim wins American idol, I will stop watching the show because it will be a joke.

lov2shop

Posted at 8:22 PM on April 21, 2010

I agree- think there is some serious maneuvering here by the judges- I don’t trust them which is why I haven’t wanted to tune in this season– Crystal blew her competition away last night– no one came even close

linda

Posted at 7:24 PM on April 21, 2010

So the reason they are doing it because they want to get him into the finale. It’s got to be a Crystal vs Lee finale because if it’s anyone else it’s going to be like Fantasia vs Diana Degarmo type. She blows the competition away so easily. She’s so friggin’ good.

I didn’t like Lee last night either and thought I was going deaf because the judges actually had me convinced he sounded good.

And I also not feeling Big Mike. He’s just way too corny. And he’s not as good as he thinks he is. he’s just a giant who stands out because of his size, not his voice. With the exception of that week he was saved, that was good.

And to Fred who accuses Laura Schreffler of being tone deaf, are you SERIOUS? Wow you have a degree in Music Composition. And not so I’m bragging or blowing smoke, I worked in radio for 10 years. Does that qualify me to know what’s off key or not? PLEASE… Listen again to Mama Sox & maybe you should turn up the volume on your earpiece.

Jess Bunny

Posted at 6:53 PM on April 21, 2010

Seriously? He won’t win b/c he is a bit wooden. But he deserves every compliment he gets for his voice and MUSICAL talents. I agree, Laura is tone deaf.

Posted at 7:15 PM on April 21, 2010

lol… okay, she may have gone over the line with the ‘he’s awful’ comment, but i’m attributing that to the fact that it is indeed enraging that the judges are always singing his praises as if he’s perfect. he needs work, and they should help him accomplish that. instead, they criticize people who are just as good as him, and never say boo to him. i think that’s where her rage is coming from. i don’t think she’s tone deaf… (as if i’d know), i think it’s just frustration at the judges.

scarla

Posted at 4:31 PM on April 21, 2010

HA HA too damn funny Laura Schreffler !
I couldn’t agree more….let us at him…..just 3 minutes in the ring with that KO’d and comatose “boxer” !!!
What’s with those judges??????? Cause it was really “just OK for me for you dawg”.
It’s gonna take more than their fake praise to make a CONTENDER out of Lee”The Snooze” DeWyze.
GO BOWERSOX!!!!! The rest are down for the count!!!!!!!!!

Posted at 6:15 PM on April 21, 2010

for real. that SHOULD have been Randy’s comment… a long pause, a scrunched up face, and ‘it was just okay for me dawg. sorry.’

lov2shop

Posted at 3:47 PM on April 21, 2010

I,too,have not really watched Idol this season – however, I finally tuned in last night– for the most part, I think the final picks this year don’t seem that much better than “mall”
try-outs– don’t think anyone comes close to Adam’s caliber– and the judges this year….they just seem to make up stuff as they go along – I agree with you Laura– Crystal gets my vote-she is the ONLY one who got the meaning of “inspiration” IMO

Posted at 2:58 PM on April 21, 2010

okay, laura. i went back and watched lee. he was better than i remember. i can see a little more of why the judges are feeling him (he did connect with that song pretty well). that said, he does not walk on water, and i don’t understand why they offer no criticism of him. maybe they just think he’ll break b/c he is so lacking in confidence? i mean, look what happened when the criticized siobhan?! she hasn’t recovered. lee- it would be worse. yah, i’m going to hang my hat on that one. they just don’t want to break him. (but, even with aaron, who they clearly also do not want to break, simon did have to bust out some criticism to him after three positive reviews by the other judges- so why not to lee?)

Posted at 2:19 PM on April 21, 2010

laura… lol… i just fell in love with you after that post! you’re now on my ‘will cut slack’ list if you offend me on any other issue! i, too, can get so ENRAGED at that show! oddly, i felt that way when katie got booted off- not that i was a huge fan, but she deserved better from the judges and fans- and i hate that the girls always get screwed on that show. i absolutely do not get the judges’ refusal to criticize lee. do no get. i don’t know if i would go as far as saying he’s awful (though, there were moments last night when he was- early in the song), but there are absolutely no chips with that sandwich, for SURE! he’s not much different than casey to me, and i’ve come to prefer casey. casey just IS, and lee is always struggling with the awkward eye thing. okay, okay- doesn’t make me hate him, but i always have to fast forward through the talking part of his segment to get to the performance b/c i can’t take hearing and watching him. even when he tried looking into the camera during his performance, it was SO uncomfortable to me. he should just give up on trying to connect with his eyes. just sing it, lee. i don’t hate him, but the judge’s odd ‘never find anything wrong’ stance with him would drive most people to hate him if they were on the fence about this guy. casey is better than him and is judged to higher standards than lee for some reason. i do think casey, crystal, and lee should be the top 3 (sorry siobhan, you need to find yourself again before i can hope for you)- but then, lee should be the first to go.

William Dwyer

Posted at 12:55 PM on April 21, 2010

Shhhh, news flash, they know more than you. ‘nuf said.

Posted at 2:40 PM on April 21, 2010

fortunately, it’s a popularity contest and whether we like them or not is just as important as the judges supposedly knowing more.

VEEJAY

Posted at 12:47 PM on April 21, 2010

Jess…are you DEAF AND DUMB…mamasox has a quality to her voice that Lee could NEVER come close to! Granted he is different than the usual run of the mill singers…but who wants to listen to different when you can hear GREAT! Even Casey is better than Lee. Lee has that raspy voice that the judges ALWAYS seem to like, but in the end…he’ll be gone week after next, when we’ll see Sox, Casey, Mike and one of those weird little boys trying to make it big! In the end…we vote and I’ll bet the teeny boppers kill the prospects of Mike and Sox with whichever wierd little boy is left standing!

Posted at 2:15 PM on April 21, 2010

thank god the weird little boys aren’t very good. you’re a step ahead of me on the cynical road, but i am hoping beyond all hope that even the tweens can’t pull those two to the top. (though, i love aaron and hope he makes it in the country biz in a few years.) i agree that casey has a better voice than lee. if i were him, i’d be totally ‘arms up in the air’ wondering why the judges are so into lee and constantly busting on him/casey. i don’t get it. frankly, i didn’t think lee’s song choice was any better than casey’s, either. how needs to here an entire song of lie la lie or whatever it is? how do you connect with that? i mean, yah, it came from the greats, s&g, but, c’mon- how risky is it to get on stage and basically humm the whole time. don’t have to worry about forgetting the words i guess. like lee fine, voice is good, but i don’t get the obsession by the judges, at all. i hope you’re right and he’s gone before the end.

Fred

Posted at 12:38 PM on April 21, 2010

Laura, you must be a little tone-deaf. I don’t watch this show because it’s all a bit of a joke, but on your suggestion I watched the video of Crystal Bowersox.

Unfortunately, Ms. Bowersox sings off-key. She’s consistently either sharp or flat and can’t seem to find the note – even when the band kicks-in (which is much easier than a capella). – Just so you know I’m not blowing smoke, I’ve been playing music for 35 years and have a degree in Music Composition.

She seems to have passion, but if you can’t hit the notes, that will only get you so far. But she’ll probably get a recording deal nonetheless because in the studio, the Auto-Tune can fix anything…

Posted at 2:08 PM on April 21, 2010

okay, seriously? do you really think she could get away with missing so many notes when she’s got three experts judging that take everyone to task for missing notes? i don’t have your background- but fortunately most album purchasers don’t either. this girl’s voice is sweet to my ears, whether it’s perfect or not, and i download her performances nearly every time i hear them. and, she did sing a capella in the beginning of last night’s performance, is my recollection. she rocked it. it was my favorite part of the whole song to hear her voice unadulterated. wow.

Posted at 2:10 PM on April 21, 2010

ps- the show is a bit of a joke, and i think this must especially be true to a trained musician. however, for gems like crystal, it’s worth putting up with the rest of the riff-raff.

Jess

Posted at 12:29 PM on April 21, 2010

Of course they’ll continue to praise Lee Dewyze! He’s good! Put this in the real world and I would buy Lee’s record in any given day. There are still about five weeks left in the competition and he still has the chance to improve his stage presence but the potential is already there. As music producers Randy, Kara and Simon could already spot that raw potential. If I were a music producer, I would not hesitate to invest in him. Meanwhile, Crystal is undeniably good but she has come to the point where she sounds the same week after week. Had this been not a television show, I doubt I would listen to her sing on the radio when I could just play a Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga CD. Lee has what it takes to make it big as a recording industry mark my words. Give him time and he can be as good as Carrie Underwood. Remember Carrie in AI? She barely had stage presence…

Lisa

Posted at 12:42 PM on April 21, 2010

This season has been such a let down. They really aren’t listening if they think Tim has any talent. And Michael has become about as boring as a lounge singer. For a young guy I think Aaron has the most talent of the guys this year and the girls we have left I can’t pick between them. I would like to hear something different from Crystal.

Posted at 2:47 PM on April 21, 2010

mike is total lounge. i never feel he REALLY connects with anything, and i never feel he lets himself go. could be wrong, but- yah, he should’ve left before katie in my mind. she was growing. he is not. i have to say, tim has had moments where he hasn’t absolutely sucked (last night not having any of those moments). they bashed him nonstop in the beginning and i think they just got tired of it and search for anything positive to say about him. though, i fast forward through him now, too, and don’t even bother listening to what the judges say b/c it’s insignificant re him. he would be great in musicals, but he is not an artist or an american idol. i don’t think aaron has the most TALENT, but if you switch that out for POTENTIAL, i agree with you. lee’s fine, and casey’s fine- prefer him to lee. was last night’s performance not “different” for you, from Crystal? i think she’s so much more advanced than everyone about knowing who she is, and being able to just pick a song and peform it, that it actually hurts her b/c people like figuring out who someone is and watching them grow. Crystal is too advanced for that, in my humble opinion. i was bored with her maybe a few weeks ago- but the last two weeks i’ve been speechless and/or in tears immediately after her performances. how could dumb kara cry over mike’s song way back when, and not shed a tear last night? kara prefers male performers, it would seem.