My Picks: What Crystal, Casey & The 'Idol' Crew Should Sing During Inspirational Week!

Tue, April 20, 2010 12:25pm EDT by 6 Comments
Courtesy of Fox

Courtesy of Fox

When in doubt, Crystal Bowersox, go for The Pretenders. But dear god, whatever you do, avoid Celine Dion at all costs!

It’s ‘Inspirational Song’ week on American Idol – and you know what that means. Yup, a lot of heartfelt warbling and Celine Dion impersonations. That said, I hope that this week’s mentor, Alicia Keys, firmly tells the remaining Idols to stay far, far away from Celine and her diva counterparts Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston tonight, April 20. Don’t mess with the originals, kids. You’ll just be asking for disappointment!

So what SHOULD the seven singers choose this week? The American Idol inspirational catalogue is fairly limited, so don’t be TOO harsh with my picks. If I had my way, Tim Urban would be singing Keith Urban’s “I’ll Think of You” – and Aaron Kelly wouldn’t be singing at all!

*Crystal Bowersox: “I’ll Stand By You”, The Pretenders

*Lee DeWyze: “Hands”, Jewel

*Casey James: “The Time Of My Life”, David Cook

*Tim Urban: “Live Like We’re Dying”, Kris Allen

*Aaron Kelly: “My Wish”, Rascal Flatts

*Siobhan Magnus: “Higher”, Creed

*Michael Lynche: “Don’t Dream It’s Over”, Crowded House

If you had YOUR way, what would you have the contestants sing? Weigh in below!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. What You DIDN’T See On TV This Week!
  2. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  3. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  4. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  5. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  6. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  7. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

linda

Posted at 7:20 PM on April 20, 2010

No one should sing anything by a former American Idol contestant. That is just a no no.

Michael Lynche – I Believe I Can Fly – R Kelly

Lee DeWyze – Drive – Incubus

Aaron Kelly – Moondance – Van Morrison

Tim Urban – Lightning Crashes – Live

Casey James – Livin’ on a Prayer – Bon Jovi

Siobhan Magnus – I’ll Be There – Jackson 5

Crystal Bowersox – Everyday People – Sly & The Family Stone

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:38 PM on April 20, 2010

I’ve given this some legit thought.

Tim Urban should do Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time of your Life)”

Casey and/or Lee should do “We are the Champions” (Adam did it last yr but he made it all screamy) or Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger”

And I’m not against ALL celine songs … just the classics (My Heart Will Go On, etc.) I’m thinking Siobhan might do “Taking Chances” justice.

catherine

Posted at 4:51 PM on April 20, 2010

Agree, Tim should totally do that, and Lee would be good at Queen

Karen

Posted at 3:34 PM on April 20, 2010

Original songs by previous Idols shouldn’t be done on the show. :x Also, I think “My Wish” is a good choice for Aaron, but didn’t he sing another Rascal Flatts song already?

scarla

Posted at 2:34 PM on April 20, 2010

Not the ‘churchy’ tunes I’d have expected with the word INSPIRATION in the title, but “I’ll Stand By You” would be awesome for Crystal…..I think she’s be ‘amazing’ on “Amazing Grace” too !!! Go Bowersox!!!
For my my bottom 3 picks:
1. Big Mike: “You’re Having My Baby”
2. Aaron Kelly: “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
3. Tim Urban: “I’ve Had The Time Of My Life” :)

gbtw

Posted at 2:15 PM on April 20, 2010

why is ‘live like we were dying’ kris allen? does he sing that song, too? i’ve only heard tim mcgraw, fortunately. how about CRYSTAL doing that song. basically, it’s my favorite song, and crystal is my favorite… could she pull it off? someone said that the one thing she needs to do more of is show vulnerability. i think she could do it with a funky interpretation of that song. I think creed for siobhan is a good pick. would like to see how she could do with that. i don’t really care about the rest of them, frankly. lee will sound good, casey will sound good, mike will sound good (tho i can’t connect with him for some reason. never got kara’s ridiculous tears.), the other two will be a crap shoot.