Lady Gaga's Latest Loopy Move! She Scrawls On Her $5,000 Birkin Bag With A Sharpie!

Tue, April 13, 2010 5:43pm EDT by 24 Comments
Splashnews.com

Splashnews.com

Ladies, I hope you’re sitting down! Not only does Lady Gaga get to skip the waiting list for a Birkin– but what does she do when she gets her hands on one? She doodles on it with a marker!

Lady Gaga’s crazy get-ups and costumes rarely phase me anymore, but her latest move has left me shocked — I would like to think even little Suri Cruise would have more respect for a classic Hermes Birkin bag! Don’t get me wrong, I always thought it was kind of weird that Lady Gaga, who dresses so eccentric, would carry a classic white Hermes Birkin bag (it doesn’t really match her get-ups) — but I never would have thought she would take a sharpie marker to the super expensive luxury item! When she arrived in Japan today, Apr. 13, she showed off the brand new graffiti on her bag, which said “I love little monster, Tokyo love,” in Japanese. Considering that the pricey purses start at around $5,000 and women wait for months to get their hands on one, I don’t know why Lady Gaga would opt to mark it up. Maybe it’s all the traveling she’s doing on her tour — although when I’m flying, I usually keep myself entertained with some music, a book, and a nap. Lady Gaga, once again goes to show you, how she’s so not like us!

-Katrina Mitzeliotis

maggie

Posted at 4:08 AM on April 22, 2010

at least her katakana looks good. who cares about this?

Rukkiss

Posted at 4:07 AM on April 17, 2010

Well is her style, dat is why people are different and i don’t see any thing wrong with what she did.

Lois

Posted at 9:18 AM on April 16, 2010

Somehow I don’t think Gaga paid for that bag herself, especially not if it cost the $10k that one of the other commenters claims it did. It’s very likely that as a huge celebrity of today, she gets sent things to wear or gets them at a very discounted rate, purely because she’s such a big name at the moment.

I can’t say I’m very impressed with KM’s derisive comment about her being *so* not like us. Whilst her taste may not be your taste, you cannot say the girl never looks good. Articles like this are what I point to when people ask me why I hate celebrity culture. Thumbs down from StumbleUpon methinks.

Kuri

Posted at 7:08 AM on April 16, 2010

That promotional operation is worth much more than the bag…
I don’t think she did that present to Hermes. They paid her to wear that nurse bag she would probably never have chosen herself.

Claire

Posted at 3:29 PM on April 15, 2010

So lemme get this straight…you’re freaking out over what someone does with their own personal property? Aren’t there more important things to focus that anger on? Also, she can afford it, as unfair as it may be yeah she probs skipped the waitline, but what she did was personalize her purse, making it unique and something that she feelsadds to her style, instead of looking like every other white Birkin. I also never really got the whole Birkin obsession…it’s a boxy rather boring purse (I do understand the Hermes obsession, the leather quality is superb and they’re incredibly well made…but why fawn over something that looks like that?).

kim

Posted at 2:23 PM on April 15, 2010

The bags START at $5000 not $10k to the reader who bagged on the blogger. She wasnt saying what this exact bag cost – geez get a life!

kim

Posted at 2:22 PM on April 15, 2010

What a sell out – shes so different and avant guarde but she buys the purse all rich celebs carry -pllleeaaasssee! Money doesnt buy taste – she is perfect example of this.

Mothra's Montra

Posted at 10:45 AM on April 15, 2010

The girl is out of her mind in love with herself and will do anything to be the center of attention. Look people…. look at me….. it’s all about MEEEEEEE. Gaga is more like gaughhhhs….. gaughhhha. Self absorbed lost soul.

Laura

Posted at 10:06 AM on April 15, 2010

she probably got it for free -_- like most celebrities do.

willie

Posted at 11:47 PM on April 14, 2010

The bag is a size 40cm and it actually cost $10,450 not including tax. There is no waiting period, just pure luck and a very good relation with the sale person to get that phone call. KM, please check the facts before posting a blog.

michele

Posted at 10:53 PM on April 14, 2010

$5000 for a purse? are you kidding me? who the hell would spend that much on a stupid purse? there isn’t even anything special about it!

Soso

Posted at 4:10 PM on April 14, 2010

It doesn’t actually say anything in Japanese – it legitly says “Ai rabu smohru monstah Tokyo(in kanji) rabu”. It’s just “I love small monster Tokyo love” rendered in katakana, which is the language used for loan words, among other things. It hasn’t been translated at all – it’s the equivalent of sounding out a Japanese word in English, basically. If she was going to graffiti an expensive bag in a foreign language, couldn’t she at least do it properly???

Nay

Posted at 11:26 AM on April 18, 2010

It’s still Japanese, regardless of whether it was written in hiragana or katakana and she did do it properly. Like you said, katakana is used for more than loan words. It’s sometimes used for emphasis, to be trendy, blah blah.

And before you try to ask how the hell I would know, yes, I’ve lived in Japan and I’ve studied it for years… I even majored in it.

joey

Posted at 3:51 PM on April 14, 2010

She’s lady gaga… she can turn around and sell that bag for way more. dumwads.

KenoG

Posted at 11:00 AM on April 14, 2010

$5000, are you serious. Just another typical all about, look at me entertainer.

fyusly

Posted at 1:37 AM on April 14, 2010

its not even an all that purse to be worth that much its so plain…

Patricec

Posted at 1:24 AM on April 14, 2010

Isn’t that essentially the same idea as the writing on the Sprouse x LV bags?

She made it hers and managed to have someone have to sort out what the bag says. It just paid for itself.

Heatheris awesome

Posted at 6:54 PM on April 13, 2010

What’s dumber this article or spending that much on a bag?

Bridget

Posted at 6:31 PM on April 13, 2010

In my opinion that bag looked boring and she spiced it up!

Liz

Posted at 10:00 PM on April 13, 2010

Haha I agree! I don’t Lady Gaga would go around in something that plain lol

Liz

Posted at 10:01 PM on April 13, 2010

I do’t *think* Lady Gaga would go around in something that plain. typo srry.

IvorySoap

Posted at 6:22 PM on April 13, 2010

Taxman!

James

Posted at 6:20 PM on April 13, 2010

Have you not thought that, it might be worth a lot more the 5000, Once the Gorgeous Gaga has actually drawn on it? Another fact is that: Everyone craves for this plan luxury item, Lady Gaga likes to do it with a difference-She has the bag everyone craves and turns it into an indivisual item with a bit of meaning to it!

Speedbeetle