EXCLUSIVE! 'Basketball Wives' Star Jennifer Williams Confesses 'Being Married To An Athelete Is Dysfunctional!'

Sun, April 11, 2010 10:00am EDT by 33 Comments
Courtesy of VH1

Courtesy of VH1

VH1‘s upcoming reality series Basketball Wives is about to show you exactly what it’s like being married to a pro-athlete! We spoke to star Jennifer Williams and she wants you to know one thing — she’s NOT a golddigger!

Do you think being married to an athlete means a perfect life filled with glitz and glamour? Chances are, it might actually make your life a little more crazy — and if you think life would be all about fast cars, parties and swimming in money, you’re mistaken! Shaunie O’Neal, the soon-to-be ex-wife of NBA star Shaquille O’Neal, is the brains behind the new series Basketball Wives, which premieres TONIGHT, April 11, at 10 p.m. ET on VH1.

HollywoodLife.com spoke with another one of the show’s stars, Jennifer Williams (wife of former NBA star Eric Williams) who admits being married to a basketball star isn’t what you think. “People think you marry an athlete and you have a great life,” she says. “You think it’s glamorous because of the cars and jewelry but there are so many other things.”

Some of those “things” include dealing with constant “groupies,” and getting used to being away from your partner for long periods of time.

“Your husbands [boyfriends] are gone,” says Jennifer. “They spend 41 games on the road … then you throw groupies into the mix. Women throw themselves at these athletes. It’s somewhat dysfunctional. I had no idea what I was in for. I didn’t have friends with athletes it wasn’t something I was looking for.”

Jennifer realizes there’s a misconception about the wives.

“There’s a lot of negative things about us [wives] that we go to the spa and go shopping,” she says. “We don’t sit around and wait for our husbands checks … and the NBA Wives will show that.”

Jennifer, who owns upscale women’s exercise studio Flirty Girl Fitness, admits the key to balancing everything is to make sure you have your own life within the marriage.

“My advice is do something for yourself,” says Jennifer. “Make sure you have something for yourself, even a hobby … something to bring to the table — besides talking about how their husbands day was.”

Jennifer tells HollywoodLife.com no one has the perfect marriage and it’s something you have to work at all of the time.

“I question myself everyday,” she says jokingly. “We have had some ups and downs just like any relationship but I can trust him as far as I can see him once he turns the corner I feel like anything can happen. I’m like, ‘If you want to be stupid, then that’s on you … I can’t stress myself out about it.'”

Jennifer reveals there was a time when she wasn’t so easy going.

“I used to be crazy with passwords to voicemails and emails … I used to do all of that,” she admits. “I don’t know if it’s a part of me growing up, but I used to be crazy. Even this one time, Eric was asleep and I knew the pager was on the floor, so I went on the computer and sent the password to the phone … I was crawling on the floor!”

Joining Jennifer on the show will be Evelyn Lozada (ex-fiancé of Antoine Walker), Mesah O’Neal (wife of Jermaine O’Neal), Royce Reed and Faith Rain (Udonis Haslem‘s girlfriend).

We can’t wait to see the show and what’s in store this season!

BFFs, would you ever marry a professional athlete? Tell us what you think!

— Chloe Melas

trabajos en fontaneria

Posted at 1:24 PM on June 9, 2012

I’m no longer positive where you’re getting your information, but great topic. I must spend some time finding out much more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful information I used to be searching for this information for my mission.

monster tits sex zombies

Posted at 6:09 PM on April 26, 2012

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent concept

Jayshaw

Posted at 12:54 PM on February 14, 2012

Being married 2 a pro-athlete is trully hectic,i know this cuz i wz married 2 a boston player.
Let Jen come outta ha cocoon n mayb,jst mayb,Eric will realise wat he jst lost.

SCOOBY

Posted at 10:01 PM on July 18, 2011

TO MUCH DRAMA LADIES,OUR YOUNG GIRLS NEED GOOD ROLE MODELS.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND TO MUCH STINKS THE SHOW IS BEGINNING TO SMELLS.

hattie

Posted at 12:49 PM on April 5, 2011

Jen and all the other so called wives which is only her the rest either never married the playa, or was dropped like shaunie, which his mother told shaq not to marry her the girl already has kids and know marriage, she is literally using all of you for her gain that’s not a brain storm or vision that is just plain ghetto

lena

Posted at 9:49 PM on March 15, 2011

jen, only you know how your husband really is. I think you both are two angry to really leason to each other and you know that man ego is going to be so on high becuz he messed up jenn. You are a married woman and leasoning to your click,everyboby is bitter consult God becuz when the chips are on tne table you better make sure anger and pain are not leading you to a devorce to soon.I know you are feeling all sorts of ways and do you actually think you are ready for this,your pride is i know he didn’t cheat on me really think jen you knew the risk but you have feelings to.

aminah

Posted at 10:11 PM on January 31, 2011

Who would marry Eric Williams?! How Jennifer woke up to him every morning is a mystery to me. Thank GOD that they did not have children…YUCK!

queenique

Posted at 8:37 PM on January 24, 2011

My Heart goes out to Jennifer. I believe she wants to make a wise decision to end her broken heart. From what i see on the show she really loves her husband. I know how hard it is to rekindle a relationship when I too have been embarassed pubicly by having any attachment to a cheating husband. Watching Jen and Eric is painful because neither one wants to move on. I just wish I knew the words to tell that man to make things right because if he could calm down and be patient I think they could work things out.

naiheema

Posted at 9:30 AM on January 13, 2011

i luv jennifer personally….. shes da prettiest, nd coolest

hood

Posted at 1:16 AM on June 7, 2010

jennifer williams has no idea what classy is and neither do some of you bloggers who are praising her. These women are all groupies who happened to get lucky, that’s it. As a ball player myself and someone whose affiliated with some ball players it is hard to distinguish what a good women is when you are swamped with different types of women all day. Some may have game and try to play the “wifey” typpe, some may just want to sleep with you, and some just want to “know” you. I see all of these features in all the ladies on Basketball Wives, the only exception would be Gloria(Matt Barnes wife) she at least known Matt since they were 13. Anyways Jennifer Williams tries to act like she want to break up her marriage but she don’t want to go broke and get away from the limelight. She’s a groupie at heart and tries to play like she’s classy, she’s just a typical god digging hefa who got what most groupies want attention/money/easy life.

RIghton

Posted at 9:42 PM on December 22, 2010

I agree! She’s scared to leave him because she would have nothing. Some of these ladies need to really get a life and stop living the image of their ex’es and get their own image.

katrina parks

Posted at 10:50 AM on January 9, 2011

First of all I hate when pol comment. And don’t know facts she owns Flirty girls fitness, but obviously u don’t know what that is, its a very successful business. And if u are a women And keep up with what’s going on u would know about this place if u travel I’m from Chicago. And live n another state now Andknow pol who travel to Chi. Just to b involved with Flirty girls as a get away ything

victoria

Posted at 10:59 PM on January 12, 2011

shut up hood rat

Trina518

Posted at 5:57 PM on January 15, 2011

I must say out of all the girls i like jen the most and i believe she is faaaarrrr from a gold digger. She comes from a family that is well off not only that but you need to do your research homegirl is very educated so all in all she dont need that no good but face guy she will do fine and i think she may not want to leave because she loves him and dont want to be alone

LaWanda

Posted at 8:57 PM on February 8, 2011

I agree 100%-I dont think of her as being classy at all.

lovislov

Posted at 11:45 PM on March 21, 2011

Hey I feel ya they all including shaunie ass they all were groupies once a upon a time looking to get rich quick, i like gloria, susie and royce. but that dam jennifer is fake as the great out doors she looks o.k but dam y did she end up with that rock head eric williams yikes!!!!! and y was evelyn on there from the start she isn’t nothing but a groupie ass hoe never once was married to a basketball ball she fuck them you all need to really pick and choose wisely so you won’t end up with someone like these hoe’s (evelyn, jennifer,and yes shaunie ass)

tbit

Posted at 8:18 AM on May 25, 2010

Jennifer, One thing is for sure, you have class and you keep it classy. I’m a bit behind on the shows…watching it online. The one episode with your charity party, I definitely saw a connection with you and your hubby when you guy were dancing. You have a strong connection. He does love you but he’s lost and confuse. Let’s face it, he’s a boy with a lot of money. Look how he acted at the showing of that home at the desk. I don’t mean in a negative way. I get why you are still in it. How about going to God about your marriage. If you both really want it, there are GREAT Christian marriage retreats that will help… You both have to really want it. Stay classy, you and Shell (Mrs Obama) make us dark skin women look good unlike NeNe Leeks–GhettO

Kano

Posted at 2:35 AM on May 2, 2012

tbit what does dark skin women have to do with it, do you have low self esteem or something? do you feel brown skin, red, and yellow bone women are more attractive?

Ashley Carter

Posted at 9:22 PM on May 23, 2010

Jennifer you are so beautiful and I want to say I love the show period the drama,tears,and happiness all of it I just can’t get enough of. I know you are trying your best to make your marriage work, and I feel that you are doing the right thing. It’s hard work keeping a good relationship. My advice is to try everything you use to do to make your marriage exciting, because obviously somethings gone wrong, and he has to be willing to admit that HE has a problem and be willing to work on what made him decide to cheat. Don’t give up it’s easy to quit something, but whatever you really want is going to keep you on your knees praying if its worth it. And Evelyn needs therapy SERIOUSLY SOON BEFORE SHE GETS SUED! I say this because her “PI” didn’t comfirm that Suzies friend is the one sending her harassing emails. I think personally she’s embrassed of making an ass out of herself on national tv. All you ladies are beautiful intellagent women LET’S ACT THAT WAY. In this wicked world the devil stays busy. Let’s be more positive about things. Royce looks up to you all why I don’t know at times. She’s a human being with a heart, feelings, all that stuff. You guys are not put here to change, judge, or condemn a person. If you can’t help a person then leave em alone! Again I love the show, and I don’t want to stop watching, because Evelyn is turning into a snobbish, insecure b*tch. Evelyn, I think you need therapy honey seriously, before you have a breakdown. We viewers see right thru that superwoman mask you put on. I think you are hurt about alot of issues, but you have to admit you have a problem before you can solve it or ask for help. LADIES LET’S DO THE RIGHT THING AND REMEMBER TO TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED!

tbit

Posted at 8:46 AM on May 25, 2010

the marriage was in trouble before they married, he was doing this before they married. He saw something in her (they connected)she saw something in him that they both want. Its a cover up. It’s layers of issues that they both must uncover. I don’t blame her for not sleeping with him (doing what she needs to do to make it work) seem to me she’s done that and I get the impression, he’s aware. If he’s out there she doesn’t need to catch anything he’s catching… I mean come on… to dam risky. Those groupies are diseased up.
She’s playing very smart.. I mean did you read her bio… she graduated cum laude. As good women, we must pray for other women and their marriages.

Angela Owens

Posted at 9:10 PM on May 23, 2010

To Jennifer,
When you decided to get married you took the vow and Marriage is a sacred commitment not only for yourself but between you and GOD. Even though your husband cheated if you can find it in your heart to forgive him then you should do everything you can to salvage your marriage. You cannot do this alone but with the help of the LORD you can and he will restore the relationship. Work on your self and be the best that you can be and to your husband and the LORD will work on your husband. Also stop listening to your friends. Advice to leave your husband or cheat on him to pay him back is not good advice for you. Seek sound council who will tell you what’s right. Maninly ask GOD and HE will lead you in the right direction. I will be praying for you and that Everything will work out for you.

ME

Posted at 4:12 PM on January 6, 2011

SHUT UP YOU BIBLE GRABBER…. THE LORD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MOST MARRIAGES AND MOST PEOPLE DO NOT BUT GOD IN THEIR VOWS NO ADAYS..

Jewel

Posted at 11:23 AM on March 8, 2011

Bible grabber? Then what is the point of all of these people saying their vows before a priest, rabbi, or reverend in a church or synagogue, if they don’t intend to live 1) by the vows and 2) by the tenets of a particular faith (all of which usually require a couple to try their hardest to work through the most difficult of circumstances)? Many of these marriages are fraudulent from the start because all of the components of the marriage ceremony are abandoned as soon as the event is over.

REALTRUMAN

Posted at 6:02 AM on May 12, 2010

Madame Jennifer Williams speaking from a real tru man(pov). your public isnt my concern,but what i can help u with is the young lady in the woman.We so easily forget what made us fall in luv in the first place.Some men need to realize that they need to stop placing so much thought on that snake in the street& focus on that diamond they leaving at home to collect dust like their trophies & cars.when you’re ready to stop with the personating boys ,look up this country man.

marlon byrd

Posted at 12:20 PM on May 9, 2010

Jennifer Williams is a lovely lady. drop 0 u can do 100% better.wake up black sister real S…..T

NONYA

Posted at 10:13 AM on May 9, 2010

Jennifer Williams is sexy and beautiful!!! Add in a very successful business. Wow. She should dump that husband

KIM

Posted at 2:14 AM on May 2, 2010

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AND THAT MAN IS OUT THERE FOR HIMSELF. YOU LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. HOLD YOUR HEAD HI , AND SHOP, SHOP AND SNOP BECAUCSE ALL THOSE DUMMIES OUT THERE THAY DONT READ AND HAVE SHE HAS HER YOUR OWN MONEY. SHE DOES NOT NEED HIM, SHE NEEDS GOD AND HERSELF
“‘ LOVE WILL COME BUT HE IS NOT THE ONE.JUST BE PATENT!!

summerhill ga

Posted at 7:01 PM on April 27, 2010

keep your game tight, think positive, where’ your confidence?…why did you marry him?…where is your faith?

MoreTrash

Posted at 10:55 AM on April 11, 2010

More trash for TV…what a surprise. I can’t believe anyone would care about this TV show.

YoGabba

Posted at 11:16 AM on April 11, 2010

F*** you b***h its a new day!

Irving Fox

Posted at 7:05 PM on April 20, 2010

To: MoreTrash…apparently you cared enough to write something a bout it. B*t*h if you could, you’d be married to an athlete yourself.

turner

Posted at 9:18 AM on January 31, 2011

i agree most women are haters anyway if u hav more than them this includeslooks ,money,or a good man or women

makaila

Posted at 7:10 PM on August 9, 2011

eric willam deserved wat ever he get he has lost a good thang an he need to do reconginize that he never find a good thang like that keep moving