Although Michelle loves having her hubby home for dinner every night and being able to help military families and overweight kids, sometimes she just wants to be just like everyone else!
First Lady Michelle Obama is well aware that her life is amazing, but sometimes she’d like to experience Washington D.C. like just your average Jo Schmo!
“I would love, and so would the President, to be able to walk up and down the Mall, not at night but in the middle of the day, when there are millions of people there, and experience it the way that you’re used to experiencing it,” the 46-year-old First Lady says in Conde Nast Traveller’s May issue. She adds conspiratorially, “I want to get on the Metro.”
While we love that Michelle wants to embrace her ‘normal’ side, we can’t imagine wanting to trade the Presidential Motorcade for the subway!
She continues that being the President’s wife can be a pain – especially when you’re hungry. “It’s like ‘Okay, we’re going to that restaurant, and everyone’s going to get mad, ‘cause I’m there eating my hamburger,” Michelle confides.
Mad? Who would be mad about seeing Barack Obama, Michelle and their kids Sasha and Malia? Not us!
In fact, if you want to see more of the First Family, Michelle is making it easy for you by listing her favorite D.C. hangouts! While you won’t be living in the White House or chilling in the Oval Office, you CAN live like the Obamas (kind of).
Check out Michelle’s favorite Washington hotspots here!
• The Newseum. “High recommendations from the kids,” she says. “They love the Newseum.”
• Monticello (Third President Thomas Jefferson’s home). “It is just incredibly beautiful, and that beautiful garden that he planted that is three times the size of anything you’d ever do. It brings it to life, not just for my kids but for me.”
• Luray Caverns. “We saw the egg! Barack was very jealous – he’s a Tour Guy.”
• Blue Duck Tavern. The Obamas celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary at this cozy West End restaurant.
• Restaurant Nora. The President surprised his wife on her 46th birthday – Jan. 17 – here.
• Good Stuff Eatery. Michelle’s favorite burger place; there’s even a burger named in her honor! The “Michelle Melt” is made of free-range turkey and organic vegetables.
• Bureau of Engraving and Printing. “We did the Bureau of Engraving (and Printing tour),” she said.
• Freshfarm Market. “In this society today, sometimes it’s just hard to make regular meals, healthy meals, a part of everyone’s existence,” Michelle said.
– Laura Schreffler