I'm Psyched 'Big' Mike Was Saved Last Night – He's One Of The Only Contestants Worth Keeping On 'American Idol'!

Thu, April 8, 2010 1:52pm EST by 5 Comments

I love it when the Idol judges agree with me! Getting rid of one of the only decent singers this season would have made the show torturous to watch!

Shock. Despair. Frustration. THESE were the emotions I felt April 7 upon discovering that not only was ‘Big’ Michael Lynche in the bottom three after singing The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby” (video above) on American Idol, but that he was being sent packing over twerpy Aaron Kelly and the consistently off-key Andrew Garcia. So unfair!

But a miracle happened last night. After Mike, 26, fought for him chance to stay on the show by singing Maxwell’s “This Woman’s Work” (my favorite of his performances), judges Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, Ellen DeGeneres and Randy Jackson agreed that he was worth keeping around – and implemented their one save of the season!

From day one, I’ve been a big fan of Mike’s. He’s charming, confident, cuddly and a kick-ass vocalist. But his save could have so many negative repercussions that I’m a little afraid what this could mean for my favorites – Crystal Bowersox and Casey James – next week.

OK, hippy Crystal, 24, and rocker Casey, 27, are the clear frontrunners this season. Why be worried, you ask? In all my years of watching American Idol, I’ve noticed that viewers have multiple faves – and only choose to call-in for the underdogs. Which is why performers like the brilliant Chris Daughtry get knocked off in FOURTH PLACE. Quel outrage!

Now that Mike’s got one more shot at glory, TWO contestants will get the boot next week. So I’m begging you – please don’t forget that your favorites aren’t necessarily safe. You know what they say about assuming, don’t you? Assuming makes an ass out of you and me – which is how we’ll ALL feel if Crystal and Casey go home next week!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  2. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  3. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  4. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  5. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  6. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

linda

Posted at 10:30 AM on April 9, 2010

Well you always know when it will be a “shocker elimination” when they either a) say in the beginning to the effect it will be “shocking show” like Ryan did or b) when they do that stupid line up on either side of me & guess which group has the lowest amount of votes.
Maybe this will be a wake up call to Big Mike. I think he thinks he’s better than he actually is. But yes I think he’s one of the better singers on there. And after all, he’s my 6 yr. old nephew’s favorite so I don’t want to see him sad.
But next week, two people will be booted and I think it may be Tim’s last week & possibly Andrew if he doesn’t get it together. I used to love him but I like Bowersox for the win.

getbacktowork

Posted at 8:26 PM on April 8, 2010

okay, not to toot my own horn, but i predicted big mike was going to be the “shocker” going home last night long before that show was being taped… am i a genius? well, in some respects yes (lol), but in music, NO! it was not surprising at all that big m got chosen (or, not chosen). i have come to fastforward through him b/c it’s the same sh!t different day with him… i mean, don’t get me wrong. i don’t hate him, love his story, would be happy for him if he were america’s idol, good voice, good looking, yada yada… but, in my world, he is tres bore-ment. okay, i don’t know french that well, so i’ll cut that talk… but, tho i don’t mind that they used their save on him, i’m very ambivalent about him. meanwhile, i feel for andrew as you do for mike… well, not as strongly, but i like andrew and wouldn’t mind seeing him stick around for longer than mike- though not to win it. i don’t think casey is a clear front-runner though i like his voice and would love to hear him on the radio. he’s not a compelling personality, and you’ve got to have that, too, i think, to win this thing. i don’t know if blondy can pull it out for that reason. nobody ever comments about katie and i’m dying to hear it, cuz i REALLY REALLY think she’s going to be in a position to upset some of the older contestants. i’m not saying she’s the best, just saying she’s cute, likeable, and talented… with the tweeny vote, who is to say what could happen? been a long time since i was in that demographic. anyone? thoughts on katie’s outcome? siobhan and crystal sort of are my favorites, but i don’t feel comfortable that either of them can win this thing. it’s so hard for a woman to win with their audience.

scarla

Posted at 3:55 PM on April 8, 2010

You’re right…I know you’re right Laura Schreffler except about Big Mike being “charming, confident and cuddly”. My three Cs for Big Mike would be “cheesy, conceited and cocky” and that’s why he had the lowest # of votes.
He wasn’t the worst though, so off with the twerpy tween heads !!!!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 2:38 PM on April 8, 2010

Laura Schreffler! Once again I agree with every single one of your points. And it’s so funny you use the word “twerpy” to describe Aaron. That’s the exact same word my friend used the other day. It’s a good word — we should bring it back.

I’m so glad they used the save on Michael. Not only is he still in the game, but now the people I want to see go home (Andrew, Aaron and Siobhan) won’t be able to come back if they end up being voted out :)

getbacktowork

Posted at 8:19 PM on April 8, 2010

GASP! Siobhan! I can see not having her as your favorite, but to actually wish her to go home… now that is “quel outrage”!!!!