I Hate Myself A Little For Admitting It, But I’m Officially A Tim Urban Fan

Wed, April 7, 2010 1:03pm EDT by 6 Comments

After weeks of hating on American Idol’s weakest singer, he totally sold me with his Beatles haircut and adorable take on “All My Loving”

Don’t hate me, people. A girl’s always got the prerogative to change her mind, right? Well, I’m going to have to eat my previous words and confess something shameful…I fell a little in love with Tim Urban on American Idol last night.

Call me a cougar if you will, but I – along with the rest of America, I’m guessing – fell for the 20-year-old Texan’s Beatles-esque haircut, his precious take on “All My Loving” and his toothy white smile during Lennon-McCartney Songbook week April 6.

Was Tim the best vocalist last night? Hell no (that title goes to the brilliant Crystal Bowersox or the sexy Casey James for their respective renditions of “Come Together” and “Jealous Guy”). But was he the most improved? YES.

Although Randy Jackson judged him on a ‘Tim scale’ (meaning how much did he suck as compared to usual performances, comparatively) Simon Cowell sensibly judged him on a ‘normal scale’ – and seems to have been as charmed by Tim’s performance as I was! Yep, ‘Teflon Tim‘ got the Cowell stamp of approval.

Tim hasn’t managed to avoid a week in the bottom three yet – and quite rightly. My darling little underdog has blown chunks – for want of a better phrase – every time he sets foot on the Idol stage. I even hated his rendition of “Hallelujah” – but mostly because that song shouldn’t be touched by anyone other than Rufus Wainwright. However, I WILL be surprised to see him hit rock bottom this week; those places should rightfully go to snoozefests Aaron Kelly and Siobhan Magnus (shocked I used Siobhan and boring in the same sentence? She put me to sleep with her take on “Across the Universe), as well as Lee DeWyze and his damn bagpipe.

Like Sanjaya and his hair before him, I’m now fully on board with the ‘Save Tim’ campaign – if only just to see him smile.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get the scoop on the hottest reality show in America here!

1. Blake Lewis Loves Michael Lynche!
  2. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  3. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  4. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  5. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  6. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

shawnie

Posted at 9:49 PM on April 17, 2010

tim is so hot sence i saw him i thought he was good

Megan

Posted at 5:10 PM on April 7, 2010

I love Siobhan! I can’t believe you went to the dark side with Teflon Tim!

scarla

Posted at 3:11 PM on April 7, 2010

“Should Tim Stay or Should He Go?” I’ll sign the petition Laura…can’t wait to see what Adam Lambert does with him next week :)
If Teflon Tim stays….then one of the other kiddies has to go though.

getbacktowork

Posted at 1:48 PM on April 7, 2010

okay, and how do you feel about katie? stick up for the sisters, too! i hated her at first, but have fallen in love with her and find her adorable, respectful, appropriate, talented, etc. i’d save these words for katie, not tim- but i must admit, even though i thought the first bit of his performance didn’t suck (remember, tim scale), i still couldn’t bare to listen to all of it b/c the rest are just so much better than him. i LIKE him, and i have a TON of respect for him for staying positive and performing well (again, on a tim scale) even knowing that everybody thinks he stinks. that takes a very special person, and my hat is off to him for that. i wish him well, but i’m ready for him to go. although it saves me time “catching up” b/c i know i’ll be fastforwarding through him and big mike (sorry mike. love ya, but bored. would see you in a lv lounge at any price though!).

Linda

Posted at 1:13 PM on April 7, 2010

Oh Laura, say it isn’t so! You have become hypnotized by the Urbanite do! He did improve on his usual suckiness and I guess that’s good but when you suck as bad as he does, how good is good really? And no one should be talking about Rufus Wainright & Tim Urban in the same sentence. And there is no way I could ever hate you but I would get your ears checked..

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:07 PM on April 7, 2010

I agree with everything here, Laura. I hated Tim at the start, but after the past few weeks, I’ve changed my tune. He’s gotten so much better (can we forget “Apologize” now?) and he’s always fun to watch. I caught up with all the performances on YouTube today and purposely saved his for last. He won’t win, but he’ll go far. Team Tim!