Heaven Sounds A Little Bit Like Crystal Bowersox Singing ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’

Wed, March 17, 2010 2:04pm EST by 6 Comments

Who was your favorite performer on American Idol last night?

When Simon Cowell told Crystal Bowersox that she got beaten by Siobhan Magnus March 16 on American Idol, I wanted to smack him upside the noggin. Crystal Bowersox is the only reason to WATCH Idol this season, and the judges should be bowing down at her Birkenstock-clad feet.

The 24-year-old Elliston, Ohio native did her thing with an acoustic guitar, and practically had me crying with her beautiful rendition of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” during Rolling Stones week. Another reason to love Crystal? She wore a peacock feather in her hair in tribute to pal Lilly Scott, who was kicked off the show last week.

As a New Englander, I have to show some hometown pride to Cape Cod, Mass. native Siobhan Magnus, who did some serious vocal gymnastics with “Paint It Black.” That is an impossible song to do well – and I was afraid for her. But I had to agree with Kara DioGuardi when she said the 19-year-old reminded her of Adam Lambert. Do I smell a duet in the works?

Last, but not least – and I’m surprising myself here – I loved Didi Benami. This LA girl is really starting to impress me. After a haunting rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s Rihannon last week, she really made “Play With Fire” her own. Nicely done, lady!

But who disappointed? I REALLY hate to say this, because he’s been one of my favorites, but Andrew Garcia has blown it each and every single week since his fabulous rendition of Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up” during Hollywood week. Get it together man, or you’re going home!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get More on American Idol:

1. EXCLUSIVE VIDEO! Andrew Garcia Tells Simon to Get Over, Straight Up!
  2. Michael Lynche: My Wife Is My Secret Weapon!
  3. Kara Dioguardi’s Diet Secrets!
  4. American Idol Exclusive! Kara Dioguardi On Crush Casey James!

boogieboy

Posted at 12:57 PM on March 25, 2010

NotASheep, I would have posted the same thing as you but would have switched the names around. Crystal is in a league all her own and is by far the best on AI. I believe its the sheep are the ones who think there is any competition at all. If Siobhan’s screeches weren’t so overhyped, her vocals would be on par with Big Mike’s or Casey’s. I also don’t believe Crystal is overhyped. If you look back on the whole season, she is the only one who’s had great performances every week, not to mention she’s a great guitarist and can also rock the harmonica.

NotASheep

Posted at 5:29 AM on March 18, 2010

Crystal is good, but she’s not in the same league as Siobhan. And that’s what people, including the OP are having a hard time accepting since Crystal was hyped to death BEFORE the show began. Most tone deaf listeners are like sheep looking for some guidance. So they try to follow the news and read up. And when they read it’s all Crystal, the sheep go Baaaa. Baaa and like that. Then Crystal is told she was beaten, which was the truth, the sheep get mad. (no offense, I’m just trying to wake people up, lol) I think Crystal is very good. But the people like Crystal not because she is a good singer, but because someone told them she was. Because if they are were good listeners and could hear Crystal was good, they’d also understand Siobhan as very talented. But since they can’t, they don’t.

thefacepainter

Posted at 12:18 AM on March 25, 2010

I heard Crystal Bowersox singing during Hollywood Week and she stopped me in my tracks. Her voice is so real and raw and haunting and beautiful and powerful and pitch-perfect. I could listen to her sing all day long. No one once told me to like her. I fell in love with her all on my own, and that love grows every time I hear her sing…

Michael

Posted at 3:23 PM on March 17, 2010

What a phenomenal night – Ryan vs. Simon, Siobhan and Casey, wow! They’re sure to go all the way. I’d be worried if I was Tim…

Cady

Posted at 2:26 PM on March 17, 2010

I totally agree! I love Siobhan and Didi they were really awesome but Crystal IS the reason I put up with American Idol!

Denise

Posted at 2:20 PM on March 17, 2010

FYI: Hi ladies and gents, you got the names wrong on the pics. Didi is the blonde girl in the middle wearing black and gray and Siobhan is the one wearing orange or pink.