Miley Cyrus Is Leaving Hannah Montana Behind: 'I'm Just Going In My Own Direction'

Sun, March 14, 2010 4:59pm EST by 52 Comments
Courtesy of Touchstone Pictures

Courtesy of Touchstone Pictures

Miley’s focusing on movies over music. Do YOU think that’s a good idea? Let us know!

The Last Song — which premieres Mar. 31 — is a big deal for Miley Cyrus. Not only is it a huge romantic movie, but it’s also her first real step away from her hit Disney show Hannah Montana, which is gearing up to air its last season.

During a March 13 press conference in LA, Miley said, “I’ve gone these last five years … with everyone telling me what to do. Now it’s up to me, and what I think is right in my career, so I’m just going in my own direction.” And part of that ‘new direction’ includes putting music on the back burner, and focusing on her career on the big screen!

“This film was the test for me to decide what I really wanted to do, and I love making movies,” she confessed. “That’s what I want to pursue. It’s not that I don’t love music. I love music. If every film could have music, I would do that. But I feel like I just need to get away from that for a little while. It’s my security blanket and I don’t want to always fall back on that.”

“I have to be careful, in a sense, to not lose who I am or the Miley Cyrus factor, by going to do other characters,” she said. “I still want [my fans] to know who I am, but I want to extend my audience. I want to continue to do what I love, but also give myself new challenges and not just be the same person, over and over.”

Miley also spilled the secret to knowing if a guy is right for her — it all depends on whether or not he can handle her crazy family!

“My parents are a little loco,” Miley admits. “If you love me and my family, which has five kids, my mom, my dad, my grandma and about 10,000 dogs … then you’re good. You’re a keeper.”

But even though Miley loves making movies, don’t expect another big-screen version of Hannah Montana anytime soon… or ever.

“The Hannah Montana wig is out as soon as we finish that last episode,” Miley enthusiastically told reporters. “One will be in a museum and one will be burned, or something. I can’t put it on again. It’s just too much.”

1. My BF Liam Was Going to Get a Role in ‘The Last Song’ Whether We Were Dating Or Not!
  2. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Finally Come Out As A Couple – But Are They Compatible?
  3. Charlie Sheen: Out of Rehab and Back to Work!
  4. Will You Miss Katherine Heigl If She Doesn’t Return to ‘Grey’s Anatomy?’
  • Check Out E! Online for the Scoop on Miley & Liam’s First Kiss!

steph

Posted at 2:44 PM on May 9, 2010

we can not belive this dont leave

Alexis

Posted at 10:18 AM on August 5, 2010

omg miley u are going to regret that u are living i never seen this hannah montana be for plese stay u are my frist favorite star i love the last song i going to miss u hannah montana cry out loud

steph

Posted at 2:42 PM on May 9, 2010

i think she is silly leaving hannah montana i like the show my little sis is her number 1 fan and know she is heartbroken and betraid dont stop we love the cast and we love you miley we saw you in concert dont leave please dont leave :-(

sarah

Posted at 7:12 PM on April 26, 2010

hi dont leave her shes apart of your life ):

michelle

Posted at 8:43 PM on April 8, 2010

you shouldnt leave because all the little ones loved you they looked up to u you should make better decisions

PRETTYBRIE$

Posted at 12:40 AM on March 30, 2010

I CAN NOT BELEVE YOU MILEY HANNAH MONTANA IS APART OF YOU AND WHEN YOU LET HER GO AND BURN THAT WIG THAT YOU STARED WITH WHICH YOU WORE WHEN YOU STARED TO BE HANNAH MONTANA YOU ARE GONNA NEVER REGRET YOURSELF AND I AM TO NEVER GONNA REGRET YOU WITH OUT HANNAH MONTANA YOUR JUST PLIAN OLD,DUMB,STUIPED,UGLY MILEY CYRUS HOW COULD YOU!

PRETTYBRIE$

Posted at 12:33 AM on March 30, 2010

I CAN NOT BELEVE YOU MILEY!

Karma

Posted at 11:02 PM on March 16, 2010

Miley will be a sxtream actress because is a perfect in Hanna Montana. And she get more improvement in the future.

helleoe

Posted at 8:38 PM on March 16, 2010

she sucks, she will never be a legit actress, an Oscar is NOT in her future, nor are hit movies. Only in her dreams, she is ugly and only tween girls like her.

PRETTYBRIE$

Posted at 12:44 AM on March 30, 2010

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT SHE IS NEVER GONNA WHEN AN OSCAR AN WHEN SHE MAKES MOVIES AND THEY ARE GONNA HIT THE BIG SCREENS PEOPLE ARE GONNA HATE HER

a2zfgi

Posted at 7:02 PM on March 16, 2010

Miley Cyrus—-OMG, I cannot stand this little daddy’s girl tramp. Can’t stand billy-ray either!!!!!! I saw her on Leno once and this big mouth–won’t shut up–female made me sick to my stomach. I never hear about her and her mother–always her daddy. Makes one think he gave birth to her. Won’t be long she’ll be like Lindsay and that zero, Paris. As far as being an actress————-No, Never!!!!!! She hasn’t got it and never will. I’ll never watch anything she is in. The only thing good I can say about her is said in one word:

mel

Posted at 6:36 AM on March 16, 2010

gah. i’m actually avoiding this stupid movie primarily because Miley is in it. She’s not a good actress and she’s far from being a lead actress. Cameos are her best bet. So I will keep my $9 and go see Repo Men.

getbacktowork

Posted at 2:00 PM on March 16, 2010

well, she’s only a teenager. she might improve with time… even the legends had to perfect their skill. don’t write her out yet.

ITZRICHARD

Posted at 1:45 AM on March 16, 2010

If I hurt your feelings, I am sorry. If I embarrassed you, I am sorry. If I offended you, I am sorry. If I made mad, TOO BAD. YOU’LL GET OVER IT. KISSKISS

Sherri Bennett

Posted at 10:22 PM on March 15, 2010

DISGUSTING

getbacktowork

Posted at 6:54 PM on March 15, 2010

she’s homely and foolish, but she is talented. i hope she does well, actually, as much as she bugs me. she’s an annoying girl right now, but i think she’ll do all right. i hope she doesn’t give up singing completely b/c she does have a good voice.

separately, bonnie, i think you ought to consider hiring an active moderator. i’m actually very against screening, but some of the comments on your site can get a little offensive and are clearly written with the overt purpose of offending your readers. it’s one thing to be mean, it’s another to have some sort of drive to annoy people. in any case, just a thought…

mspoores

Posted at 1:30 PM on March 15, 2010

I don’t like Miley either, but to talk about her or anyone like that is wrong. She is a human, as I believe you to be, treat her as such. If you have nothing good to say…keep your MOUTH shut.

love the rock star girl

Posted at 11:26 AM on March 15, 2010

i love you please be a singer but you can make anothere moves but you have to sitll singing

KT1668

Posted at 11:19 AM on March 15, 2010

I’m impressed. Miley is smart and insightful enough at 17 to know how to move forward away from being pigeonholed into a child character. So she won’t be known as “Hannah Montana” but as Miley Cyrus, a versatile Miley Cyrus. Now is the time to hone her acting skills and try different types of acting roles. Her words about a boyfriend accepting her family, and her even acknowledging that her family is a little crazy, is also impressive. I think she is focused, savvy, and if she can avoid certain temptations, has a great future ahead of her.

april

Posted at 1:04 AM on March 15, 2010

they did not move back they simply moved to a ranch in california so she could keep her horse jackson moved back in lily stayed oliver went on tour season 4 will kick off in july and run till sometime in 2011 cthen after that season it’s over

drodisy

Posted at 8:52 PM on March 14, 2010

look every one who sits there and judges people by the way they r cant talk the only thing is u cant be her so u be jealouse get over ur self some people who doing wat they do cuz they also have lives just like we all do if she is down to quit then let her she put in her time just like wat we all have to

Chas

Posted at 10:53 PM on March 14, 2010

If there’s one thing I can positively say I’m not, it is jealous (note that there’s no ‘e’ on the end of that word) of Miley Cyrus. Things I am proud of are my ability to spell words correctly, to not use nonsensical abbreviations for words (r, u, ur, wat, cuz) and to capitalize words that need to be capitalized.

Too Funny

Posted at 8:42 PM on March 16, 2010

Too funny!! I read that same post and thought out loud, “what an idiot!” No wonder she, (probably all 11 years or so of her), is a MC fan. She is too young–and stupid to know any better.

Chas

Posted at 8:10 PM on March 14, 2010

I’m confused as to why the only voting options were to see her in more movies or to have her be a musician. Where was the option for her to retire so we’d never have to see her no-talent trout-lipped face ever again?

ashley

Posted at 7:52 PM on March 14, 2010

she is not ugly dont talk abot ppl like that she is pretty

malibu chick

Posted at 4:55 AM on November 6, 2010

ey i am from south africa.i love hannah montana , last song and hannah montana the movie. i cant believe you are going to give hannah up, its apart of you ,you grew up with it .You cant let it go please!!!!!!!! i know your getting older but think of the children that admire you .Next year i am going to america los angeles , hollywood,las vegas , beverly hills, california, disney world , tennessee just to see your farm. i am going to see justin bieber and jones brothers backstage aswell. But i wish i can see you to because you are like n dream i watch everything about you and thought maybe one day i meet you in person but know you give hannah up and my chance is gone . please think again or perform as miley cyrus . i admire you so much i name my dog after you.you have i great voice eneyone can dream about having such as nice voice like you . Remember hannah montana make you the person you are right know. Love tallie

ashley

Posted at 7:49 PM on March 14, 2010

you cant quit think about ur fans hannah a part u cant let her oo plz the will miss u on tv show everone will :(

april

Posted at 1:06 AM on March 15, 2010

she hasn’t quit yet one more season no worries

413

Posted at 7:30 PM on March 14, 2010

you r so f rude

caitlin hemsworth

Posted at 7:24 PM on March 14, 2010

I think that the comments by Itzrichard are very rude and out of place. Miley may not be perfect but lets admit it who is and atleast she tries. I am sad the show is coming to an end but I am looking forward to the Last song. I also think Mileys new boyfriend is very cute and he seems sweet too. I really think she deserves a break and everyone should stop ragging on her. So she has her moments and makes mistakes but that’s ok you can find fault in everyone not just famous people. I dont think her comment about burning the Hannah wig is very mature if she really didn’t like being Hannah she didn’t have too. I wonder what museum the other wig is going too. Personally I don’t think it’s important enough to be in a museum but what the hey some people are that into her. I think shes pretty and itzraichard the comment about her dad was really rude! If you dont like miley why are you waisting your time on this site! = ) thanks Caitlin

mona

Posted at 6:16 PM on March 14, 2010

Wow some people need to learn that they don’t post stuff like they just did. It’s not about the beauty or talent it comes from what is on the inside and that is someone like all of us, who wants to try something new and test the waters to see if this is the right move or the wrong move. We all do that in our daily life. Kudos to this young lady for being who she is and for entertaining us all. Case in point if she wasn’t popular as Hannah Montana that wouldn’t have lasted long, nor would the movie had made the money it did. Hannah Montana is just that Miley Cyrus is her own person and I for one am glad to see it’s not just about Hannah here. Go girl go!!!

lucy

Posted at 5:57 PM on March 14, 2010

i think she should go back to church and for get about hollywood and live in tennesse!

Obsessed with Idol