‘American Idol': Does Big Mike Have An Unfair Advantage? He Had A Song In A Tyler Perry Movie!

Thu, March 11, 2010 1:10pm EST by 17 Comments
‘American Idol': Does Big Mike Have An Unfair Advantage?  He Had A Song In A Tyler Perry Movie!

Big Mike totally killed it last night. But he’s been working professionally for years! Do you think that’s a turn off, or a sure sign he’s meant to be a working artist?

I know that American Idols don’t actually fall off the turnip truck and jump into super-stardom. Adam Lambert was on Broadway and Kelly Clarkson had shopped around records for years before she hit the big time. Really, the best ‘Idols’ have been groomed their entire lives to suddenly be discovered. Nevertheless, it kind of takes the fun out of it for me when I realize someone like Big Mike has not only worked professionally, but also has an album and wrote a song for the Tyler Perry movie, Madea Goes To Jail.

Talk about a buzz kill. It’s no wonder than the 26-year-old St. Petersburg, Fla. native Michael “Big Mike” Lynche wowed us and made us cry with his rendition of “This Woman’s Work” last night. He should have with all of his experience!

Honestly, I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. I love Big Mike! He was my favorite of all the top eight guys. There’s just something that doesn’t sit right with me feeling like we (America) “discovered” this guy, when in actuality, he was “discovered” long ago. I’d almost rather someone like little newbie Katie Stevens (who totally bombed, by the way) to take the prize. Isn’t that what American Idol is supposed to be about, discovering raw, untapped talent?

Does it matter where our next American Idol comes from as long as he/she is the best we can find?

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get more American Idol:

1. EXCLUSIVE! American Idol Vocal Coach Dorian Holley Gives Inside Look At Top 24
  2. EXCLUSIVE! Former ‘American Idol’ Jason Castro Gives Advice To American Idol Top 24
  3. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  4. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  5. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

mimi

Posted at 11:28 AM on March 13, 2010

okay let him sing …he is not going to win anyway…mimi

Maddie

Posted at 7:25 PM on March 12, 2010

I love Big Mike! He has an awesome voice. So what if he has had some minor success. The whole idea of this show is people who are trying to make it in the music industry have a format to be discovered! They cant all be 16 year olds…..Let’s talk about Blondies records…Oh wait!! Those are police records….3 DUI’s!

Kirstin Benson

Posted at 5:59 PM on March 12, 2010

Rina,

I completely agree Michael deserves this chance to shine…Not only has he been going at this for a LONG time, he’s a talented and genuinely nice guy. Talk about the whole package!

Like Tellmemore, I wish the Idol producers would be more upfront about how much experience these “newbies” actually have. They act like some of these people (Adam Lambert, Big Mike) just fell out of the sky when in actuality they’ve been pounding the pavement, working on their craft at a professional level for YEARS.

Personally, as a voter, I’m more likely to vote for someone when I know he/she has put in his/her time.

Thanks for commenting…love reading your thoughts. And please tell Mike he’s fabulous ;)

tellmemore

Posted at 5:43 PM on March 12, 2010

Thanks for sharing Rina. It sounds like you know him. Like you said, I doubt many knew of Mike before this contest. I didn’t get the impression Kirstin thinks he should be penalized or doesn’t like him though. I think the way AI introduced him to America was a bit deceiving. I don’t think anyone would have cared if we had known what he and the others had done prior to the show. Actually, I think it would be good for America to see how hard the contestants have worked to get to AI. Dues paying is a GOOD thing. Just be upfront about it AI.

NANLU

Posted at 5:23 PM on March 12, 2010

I GUESS IT DOESNT Matter to the brass of the show……will the public still keep him in? that remains to be seen….. great voice tho……

Rina

Posted at 4:22 PM on March 12, 2010

This is in response to Kirstin Benson: I know that some of you agree with her, but how many people were aware of Michael’s talent before this? He worked so hard all these years trying to make a name for himself and now also for his wife Christa and baby Laila. This is a good man aside from being so talented. Should he be penalized because he’s been working in small clubs where he was putting out a lot of effort for a little money amd little sleep . He’s had to work two jobs to pay the rent. He’s a great performer and he deserves to be discovered so that the American public can appreciate him…he’s being discovered on American Idol..finally…Thank God….the other young performers need to pay their dues as well..that’s what life is all about.

why

Posted at 2:09 PM on March 12, 2010

they give big mike a lot of screen time. kind of seems like the producers want him to win or something

J Ford

Posted at 1:26 PM on March 12, 2010

i dont particularly care for big M, in my opinion he gets a lot of credit in the muscle dept. when he has just as much fat as muscle! however, i do support him in this competition…after all he apparently cant afford clothes that fit. Take it from me big Mike im as queer as they come…vests should button all the way up, ALWAYS… its like Dolly Parton wearing a b cup bra. its an actual threat to the general public!

rj

Posted at 12:20 PM on March 12, 2010

was that big mike’s wife in the audience? she just had a baby too.

Rina

Posted at 4:24 PM on March 12, 2010

Yes, that is Christa in the audience..they have been through a lot and they have a great marriage and a new baby.

imbritneyb

Posted at 11:44 AM on March 12, 2010

I still love big mike! I don’t care if he’s worked before, he is talent who hasn’t made it huge yet. I want this so much for him and his family!!!!!

On that note, has anyone else noticed all of the young parents on this season? I feel like everyone has kids!

momoftwogirls

Posted at 11:36 AM on March 12, 2010

Does any one know the specific rules for professional work pre-idol? I know some idol wannabes in the past have gotten kicked off for having record deals or something. I wonder if this counts…

Rina

Posted at 4:25 PM on March 12, 2010

Michael has not had a record..so this doesn’t count.

joe2

Posted at 11:08 AM on March 12, 2010

Wonder how come they tell the audience about some of the contestants having prior deals in the biz and others they don’t. Seems kind of sneaky.

NANLU

Posted at 9:04 AM on March 12, 2010

I feel the same way……wonder if the judges know all of this when they pick? i still like the KELLY YOUNG MAN….

AlltheBest

Posted at 4:38 PM on March 11, 2010

Kirstin,

Your on the Money,

I agree with you!!!!!!!

All the Best!!

Jake Malone

Posted at 4:25 PM on March 11, 2010

Kirstin,

Your on the Money, You Rock!!!

Thanks