Sad news: ’80s teen star Corey Haim died of an overdose, according to the LAPD.
Actor and 80′s teen idol Corey Haim was found dead in his Los Angeles apartment this morning, Mar. 10, according to the LAPD. He was 38. Corey had been living with his mother, Judy, who was battling breast cancer according to Radar Online.
Corey’s agent and family friend, Mark Heaslip, told TMZ that just after midnight, Corey went into his mother’s room and woke her up, just before collapsing in front of her. The ambulance arrived 20 minutes later to take Corey to St. Joseph’s hospital in Burbank, CA, where he died. Police arrived at the hospital around 4 am to investigate.
Canadian-born Haim starred in the films Murphy’s Romance, The Lost Boys, License to Drive and Dream a Little Dream. He and his frequent co-star Corey Feldman earned the name “The Two Coreys” and even starred in an A&E ‘reality’ called The Two Coreys from 2007 to 2008.
Haim has a history of struggling with drugs and financial issues. He filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July 1997 and went to rehab over 15 times, including a stint in 2000. A year later, the troubled teen actor was hospitalized for a drug-induced stroke.
He’s admitted to using hard drugs and prescription pills. “I did cocaine for about a year and a half, then it led to crack,” he said.
“I started on the downers which were a hell of a lot better than the uppers because I was a nervous wreck,” he said. “But one led to two, two led to four, four led to eight, until at the end it was about 85 a day — the doctors could not believe I was taking that much. And that was just the Valium — I’m not talking about the other pills I went through.”
Corey Haim and Corey Feldman were in talks to star in The Lost Boys 2 in 2007, but Haim was still struggling with addiction. At the time, Feldman said he refused to have further contact with Haim until he got sober. —Corynne Steindler
Get More on Corey Haim:
- Corey Haim: Could a Drug-Induced Heart Attack Have Killed Him?
- EXCLUSIVE! ‘Two Coreys’ Exec. Producer: Corey Was ‘Facing His Demons To Better His Craft’
- Corey Feldman Remembers His Best Friend: Corey Haim Was ‘A Wonderful, Beautiful, Tormented Soul’
- A Look Back At The Ladies Who Loved Corey Haim
- Haunting Video of Corey Haim — He Says, ‘I’m Going To Die’
- EXCLUSIVE! Corey Haim’s Neighbor: ‘He Looked Alive When He Was Wheeled Out’
- Remembering Corey — A Look Back At Actor Corey Haim In Photos & Video
- Teen Idol Corey Haim Found Dead Of Drug Overdose This Morning