New Report Says: Jenny McCarthy’s Son May Not Have Had Autism After All

Fri, February 26, 2010 9:15am EDT by 753 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

After years of speaking out about her son’s autism — and against childhood immunizations — Jenny McCarthy is reversing her position.

After years of speaking publicly about her belief that MMR shots (immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella) caused her son to suffer from autism, Jenny McCarthy now faces the reality that her 7-year-old son Evan — who no longer shows any signs of autism — may likely have lived with completely different illness.

A new article in Time magazine — which Jenny was interviewed for — suggests Evan suffers from Landau-Kleffner syndrome, “a rare childhood neurological disorder that can also result in speech impairment and possible long-term neurological damage.”

Many applaud Jenny, who has never stopped fighting to help her son since his autism diagnosis in 2005.  Others, like the Center of Disease Control, say her claims about immunizations make her “a menace to public health.”

Jenny talks about her son’s progress saying, “Evan couldn’t talk — now he talks. Evan couldn’t make eye contact — now he makes eye contact. Evan was anti-social — now he makes friends.  It was amazing to watch … when something didn’t work for Evan, I didn’t stop. I stopped that treatment, but I didn’t stop.”

And she is also reversing her initial position that the MMR shots caused Evan’s autism.  Jenny now says she wants vaccinations better researched — rather than getting rid of them altogether, as she previously promoted.  And though her son may never have had autism, Jenny insists, “I’ll continue to be the voice” of the disorder.

ways to Learn how work from home business and marketing

Posted at 1:20 AM on July 1, 2012

Hello There. I discovered your weblog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.

Wordpresss SEO

Posted at 3:24 AM on June 26, 2012

I savor, lead to I found exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Đổ mực máy Photocopy,Do muc may Photocopy

Posted at 3:10 AM on June 11, 2012

hello!,I love your writing very so much! proportion we keep in touch more about your article on AOL? I need an expert on this area to solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking ahead to see you.

Omg... Are these claims the real deal?

Posted at 9:47 PM on June 10, 2012

Wonderful paintings! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the net. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this publish higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)

интерьерные краски

Posted at 5:33 AM on May 27, 2012

Thanks for the good writeup. It in reality used to be a amusement account it. Look complicated to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?

Создание сайтов

Posted at 5:14 PM on May 20, 2012

I’m now not certain where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I must spend a while learning much more or working out more. Thank you for magnificent info I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

how to get top of google

Posted at 7:58 AM on May 19, 2012

You actually make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very huge for me. I am looking ahead in your next publish, I’ll try to get the grasp of it!

Charlene

Posted at 12:56 PM on May 18, 2012

This article says her son didnt have autism. Jenny never said that. This is our govt, the CDC, trying to Cover their behinds by planting untrue articles. Autism IS caused by the mercury in the immunizations–& it is still in them under another name. They cant stop putting mercury in the immunizations–because if they did–it would prove in a court of law, that the mercury was the caue when autism cases dropped!

LH

Posted at 8:16 PM on June 6, 2012

The “scientist” who published the studies showing a link has been completely discredited and lost his medical license (Wakefield). He falsified the data and no one has ever been able to replicate data showing a link — just the opposite, actually. The CDC would love to find a definitive reason for the increase in autism as it would provide answers and methods for prevention. No consiracy, sorry.

Shi

Posted at 1:21 PM on June 30, 2013

Did you know there’s more poison in a can of tuna than a vaccine

water softener problems

Posted at 10:38 AM on May 6, 2012

I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I am now not positive whether this post is written by him as nobody else understand such distinct approximately my trouble. You are incredible! Thank you!

new york bus tours

Posted at 4:31 PM on April 21, 2012

Its such as you read my mind! You seem to grasp so much about this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I feel that you just could do with some percent to power the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

Cecelia Finch

Posted at 6:25 AM on April 18, 2012

Wow, great blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

Scarlet

Posted at 8:45 AM on April 17, 2012

When epidemics of illnesses once stopped by these vaccines start and children are killed or rendered sterile who will the parents blame?

Certainly J. McCarthy will say she had no intention of stopping vaccines once again to clear her conscience. If she wants to REALLY change her position on this then why wasn’t she up on television reversing her stance? Why did I just happen across this article when doing autism research online? Because she really only cares about her own son and putting off the fact that he has autism on something other than her perfect Hollywood life. J. McCarthy is a Famous Person and we all know that Famous People only have Perfect Children so she had to blame his (now incorrect diagnosis of) autism on something other than her Perfect Genetics. How could she know if anyone in her past had autism? Especially since they didn’t diagnose autism years ago, they just threw people in Asylums and forgot about them. Not to mention, I heard her speak about stopping vaccinations on morning television. I payed attention because I am autistic as are both of my sons.

One has Asperger’s Syndrome and the other has Oppositional Defiance Disorder, which is on the Autism Spectrum. Not only do I believe it is genetic, I also believe environment can have something to do with it. I lived in a lakefront property on a man-made lake that had low-level mercury pollution. AT THE TIME I had NO idea of that, and I swam every summer day I possibly could during my first pregnancy (Asperger’s) during my second pregnancy I was so sick I couldn’t do much so I swam alot less, thus my second child is very very mildly autistic.

Like any other diagnosis, autism needs more research. I don’t know that it will be curable since it is genetic but there MAY be treatments that can help the most severely autistic children able to live a life with some sort of normalcy.

Sara

Posted at 6:29 AM on April 10, 2012

The article is misleading. They make it sound like one day her son woke up, and no longer had the issues he was having. What it doesn’t mention is her son was cured when she chelated him using OSR1 which what I found out by simply doing a search on the internet was banned by the government. Dr Boyd Haley even did interviews on OSR1 and it removes toxins including mercury from the body. My son may have autism, and I won’t stop until he is cured I will go anywere in the world to get chelating treatment for him if I have to. The government wants to kill us they don’t want a cure. Population control is not a joke it is even written infront of us on the Georgia Guildstones.

auto mobile traffic,auto mobile traffic software,mobile web traffic,mobile internet traffic,internet marketing

Posted at 1:56 AM on April 4, 2012

Thanks for another great article. The place else could anyone get that type of information in such an ideal method of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such information.

posicionamiento web en buscadores

Posted at 3:38 AM on March 31, 2012

Helpful information. Fortunate me I discovered your website by chance, and I’m surprised why this coincidence did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

Billigflug Berlin Istanbul-sabiha

Posted at 2:52 PM on March 29, 2012

Amongst Ensure,severe study cost fix provide rather close okay card approach suffer unable ago attempt housing deputy subject alright present data long empty fly tradition contrast possibly critical continue deliver investigation round benefit season pool manner settle sheet proposal version own my congress summer youth perfect reply chair write welcome field manage location conservative insist set drug few block somewhat employee my stock step opinion lead end arrangement every whose gate skill belong aware few executive fly past natural again edge black listen finger history miss available hot lie get hand insurance moment

Jennifer

Posted at 5:07 PM on March 9, 2012

I’m sure I speak for everyone who actually works to promote autism awareness when I say, Jenny, you don’t have to be the voice of the disorder. In fact, you don’t have to talk about autism if you don’t want to. Really, it won’t be a disaster. Really.

Jude

Posted at 1:00 AM on January 2, 2012

Austim like symptoms can present themselves in many disorders that young children are diagnosed with. When Jenny’s son was diagnosed she got on with doing the best she could for him, the label really doesn’t matter! As for the immunizations, it was one environmental element that was common and looked at for children all over the world. I am a believer that some children may well be pre disposed and react to what is contained in the vaccination, possibly the preservative Thimerosal, which is mercury. For those who have never heard of Pink Disease, research it and see what happened to some infants who were exposed to ‘mercury containing’ teething powder and older children who were exposed to worming preparations that also contained mercury, I beleive that these preparations were banned in the 50’s. Jenny’s status did help bring much needed awareness for autism and that is a good thing.

lh

Posted at 8:21 PM on June 6, 2012

Thimeroasl was removed form the MMR vaccine years ago. Yes, mecury is a neurotoxin and exposure should be avoided, but vaccinations are not the culprit unless a child has a pre-existing vulnerability. A very, very small percentage have adverse reactions and even fewer have neurological reactions. It is important for all parents to read the science before making a decision about this; this will allow them to way the potential risks and benefits of whatever decision they make.

Steve Kravcik

Posted at 12:58 PM on November 3, 2011

Jenny McCarthy should be ashanmed of herself for all the damage her anti-vaccine BS has caused. And now to say they should be more researched???? What the hell does she think scientists and manufacturers do? What do regulators look at?

She should shut up and we should stop listening.

Not Telling

Posted at 9:32 AM on November 2, 2011

Nice job getting the details wrong in this article. First off, the interview said that there were some doctors who THOUGHT that Evan had Landau-Kleffner. And then there’s this little gem:

“And she is also reversing her initial position that the MMR shots caused Evan’s autism. Jenny now says she wants vaccinations better researched — rather than getting rid of them altogether, as she previously promoted.”

She has NEVER promoted getting rid of vaccines altogether. NEVER.

debi r.

Posted at 6:09 PM on August 25, 2011

Well my 3 year old son was already showing signs of autism way before the MMR shot….I have two son’s both have autism one is 17 and the other is 3. The 17 year old is very verbal and 3 year is non-verbal.

Ryan McReynolds

Posted at 4:17 AM on August 6, 2011

I am autistic myself and I do not believe vaccines caused my autism, I believe rather than my autism was caused by genetics.

Not to mention the originators of the vaccine causing autism theory later discredited their own theories.

Are there some vaccines we should avoid? absolutely considering while some vaccines really have served a good purpose, there are unfortunately some that are marketed without proper tests, in fact it is noted that with polio vaccines , the injected version made from dead virus is actually a safer idea than the oral one made from live but weakened virus (as the one made from live but weakened virus has turned out to actually cause polio in some children whereas the injected vaccine made from dead virus seems to cause no problems and works good at Polio prevention).

I say before one jumps on the bandwagon to avoid all vaccines, it is wise to investigate each vaccine and the safety of each, do some research to find out out is this specified vaccine safe.

Of course I will say I do have a big problem with the government telling the parents that they have to vaccinate their children, I think the parents should be the ones deciding that for themselves, I mean boom if a vaccine is proven safe and the parent says the child will get this or that vaccine, I have no problem with the child getting the said safe vaccine, but if the vaccine is unsafe the parent should then be able to say “I don’t want my child getting this or that unsafe vaccine.”

I’m not gonna tell you do or don’t vaccinate your children, all I will say is research the different vaccines before you make the decision.

Linda

Posted at 10:57 PM on January 10, 2012

Personally, my children have been affected to some degree with this disorder. However, i disagree that it is genetic. I am a total believer that it is environmental. If it were genetic, then why don’t older adults have it? Any family that has been affected with autism needs to take a look at the adults in their family. No one else in my family has this or has ever had it to my knowledge. So NO it is not genetic. That is a lie! It is environmental. Mercury is released into the air by coal plants. It’s in our water supply along with arsenic. It is in some of the food we eat and Yes it is in vaccinations. So depending on how much mercury a person has already been exposed to when they get vaccinated determines if they will develop autism. Again it is not genetic.

Me

Posted at 2:50 PM on January 27, 2012

“However, i disagree that it is genetic. I am a total believer that it is environmental. If it were genetic, then why don’t older adults have it?”

OLDER ADULTS DO HAVE AUTISM!

“No one else in my family has this or has ever had it to my knowledge. So NO it is not genetic”

TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

YOUR OWN OPINION IS NOT DEFINITIVE OF THE FACTS OF THE MATTER YOU KNOW!

“That is a lie! It is environmental”

IN YOUR OPINION, THERE IS IN FACT MORE EVIDENCE TO SUGGEST IT IS GENETIC THAN ENVIRONMENTAL

SOME PARENTS OF AUTISTIC CHILDREN STRUGGLE WITH THE IDEA THAT IT IS GENETIC DUE TO FEELING SOMEHOW ‘AT FAULT’ FOR HAVING A CHILD WITH AUTISM.

YOU WOULD DO FAR BETTER TO ACCEPT YOUR CHILDS AUTISM REGARDLESS OF ITS CAUSE TO BE HONEST.

Barbara

Posted at 2:53 PM on February 17, 2012

I have to strongly disagree with you. Unless you have had genetic testing done on you or your husband you cannot say the autism is not caused by genetics. I have a grandson who has autism even though no one else in the family has autism I elected to have genetic testing done. Sure enough the X chromosome is genetically defective and this is known as Fragile X Syndrome. Fragile X Syndrome is a genetic disorder and the leading cause of autism. Although I or my two adult children does not have any symptoms or signs of Fragile X syndrome it does mutate further with each generation. Are you brave enough to have a blood test done for genetic testing? Do this prior to making a statement that autism is not caused by genetics. By the way I have a Masters degree and am currently perusing another degree.

Gail

Posted at 4:45 PM on April 21, 2011

Maybe her son has Asperger’s Syndrome. My son is Asperger which is high functioning Autism. My son displayed similar symptoms but is extremely intelligent. Same social indifference, no eye-contact. However, I would not say that the MMR vaccine did it to him because he displayed those symptoms way before being vaccinated, just that we weren’t paying attention to it at the time.

Diane Jeffers

Posted at 3:16 PM on January 6, 2011

My son also has Landeau Kleffner Sysndrome diagnosed when he was 5. I also believe it had something to do with his MMR shot. My son is a text book case of LKS.I wish I could talk to her about this. 703-867-7970 cell diane

Skeptic

Posted at 4:04 PM on January 6, 2011

Diane,

Just curious – on what evidence do you base your conclusion that the MMR shot had something to do with your son’s diagnosis? Please help me find the studies, etc., that you rely on to make such a claim.

oh

Posted at 8:25 AM on July 25, 2011

Well, hell, just call her and ask. Apparently she doesn’t care who in the world calls her number, seeing as she’s posted it in an extremely conspicuous website.

Me

Posted at 11:58 PM on June 25, 2012

Lol ^^^

Taylor Lautner

Posted at 9:21 PM on January 5, 2011

Don’t blame Jenny McCarthy for misleading the public about the safety of immunizations. The only people to blame are those idiots who take medical advice from a bimbo quasi-actress/playboy playmate. Unfortunately, we are a society of idiots that are swayed more by the rantings of celebrities than knowledgeable medical professionals and researchers who use scientific, evidence-based practices. Though I suppose a corrupt and unethical medical researcher does just as much damage even though there exists overwhelming amount of research that finds no link to vaccinations and autism. This is just a reminder to those idiots out there, do your own research and ask medical professionals questions when deciding the appropriate medical care for yourself or your children.

skarrlette

Posted at 3:18 PM on January 22, 2011

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT CAUSES AUTISM<

They don't know the medical community has no idea, so therefore they can't say that it isn't the vaccines.

If you don't know something how can you say it isn't something?????????????????????

They don't know that is is they have possibilities but they don't know period.

I am sick to death of people saying they know that vaccines don't cause autism the truth is they know nothing and can't prove anything.

Everyone needs to stop criticizing pointing fingers and help support and give information as to what might be the cause. We need to search for the truth down all avenues.

That is the intelligent thing to do

T

Posted at 1:10 PM on February 16, 2011

skarrlette, your suggestion is reasonable on its face, but keep in mind that one child has died and many more are at risk becuase of declining vaccination rates. http://www.slate.com/id/2285219/pagenum/2
Autism is a complex and terrible diseas that will continue to be researched, but we cannot put child safety on hold in the meantime.

R

Posted at 7:22 PM on April 4, 2011

Actually Skarlette, the safety of vaccines has been repeatedly proven in study after study. The major study that identified the link has been retracted by the Lancet due to falsification of information.

Do we know what causes autism: no

Do we know what doesn’t cause autism: yes – vaccines

Jean Mason

Posted at 7:33 PM on May 13, 2011

This is not a black and white subject. I have two autistic sons. Vaccines are not safe for all children. Just like some children may have an allergic reaction, some children may develop autism after receiving their vaccines. I believe that some children are genetically pre-disposed to having sensitivities to some things, for one reason or another, some are sensitive to vaccines. It’s like a switch is turned on after certain shots for certain kids. Believe me, I watched this happen to my son, Caleb. He was never the same after his MMR shot. My son Isaac is totally typical. But I held off on his shots until he was four. You tell me.

Seola

Posted at 11:15 AM on April 1, 2012

I could “tell you”. But you wouldn’t listen Jean. Because you want something to hold onto, to blame. Because if they keep looking, it might be a parent’s “fault”. And we can’t have that!

No child is sensitive to vaccines in which their brain changes. There are physical reactions but they don’t cause autism. It’s RULED OUT. One doctor out of millions said “hey, I want cash, so I’m gonna say this and hawk the “cure””. In the meantime, literally 10’s of thousands of studies say the opposite. Gee, a discredited, unlicensed “doctor” hawking something to sell you… or some of the world’s leading experts on autism. I wonder who I’ll believe.

Dwayne

Posted at 11:46 PM on August 3, 2011

I hear you Babe. We can’t prove that it isn’t vaccines, science can’t prove a negative. What we can do though is to, through research, become confident that the likelihood of something being true is so small as to make it negligible.

We do need to follow the truth where it leads us, but the funds for research are not infinite. That means that we must, to the best of our ability, use those funds in the most logical, productive ways possible.

Do to the vaccination hysteria there is a large group of children that have now gone unvaccinated. A study was conducted that found that the incidence of autism was actually slightly higher in the group of unvaccinated children.

Though we can’t prove that the vaccine did not harm any children, or cause any to become autistic, that’s pretty strong evidence, just on it’s own, that this is the wrong path, right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dwayne

Sabine

Posted at 7:07 PM on August 27, 2011

The problem is though, that people don’t die from Mumps or Rubella, they die from Measles. And to prove that their vaccine is safe, Doctors refuse to give a measles vaccine only. If the doctors wouldn’t be so stubborn, not so many kids would die, as most parents would get single vaccines, as and when needed. Did you also know, that the effectiveness of the Rubella Vaccine declines in girls when they hit 24, which is the most likely time for them to get pregnant? Why can’t they do what other countries are doing and test girls at the age of 12/13 if they have natural immunity and only vaccinate if necessary? Natural immunity lasts for life.

Dave

Posted at 3:14 AM on December 1, 2011

Sabine,
Please know that the US is facing the largest measles outbreak in 15 years. This is being attributed to traveling to “other countries” and a larger population of unvaccinated individuals. As a practicing physician with three children, I cringe when I hear parents being guided by misinformation because I know they only want what is best for their children…unfortunately, many follow a path based on anecdotes and NOT scientifically proven evidence. The effectiveness of vaccines is GREATER WHEN EVERYONE IS VACCINATED. Herd immunity is not a myth. This is where true protection from disease is found.

BBAMomma

Posted at 10:13 PM on April 2, 2012

“NO ONE KNOWS WHAT CAUSES AUTISM<"

But, we do know what causes polio, measles, mumps, rubella etc. That is precisely why we VACCINATE against those diseases! And I am happy to support and give information, but why in the world would you advocate against giving vaccinations for DEADLY diseases?? There is a slight chance your child might contract one of those viruses, but why would you take the risk KNOWING that is a possibility?