New Report Says: Jenny McCarthy’s Son May Not Have Had Autism After All

Fri, February 26, 2010 9:15am EDT by 753 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

After years of speaking out about her son’s autism — and against childhood immunizations — Jenny McCarthy is reversing her position.

After years of speaking publicly about her belief that MMR shots (immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella) caused her son to suffer from autism, Jenny McCarthy now faces the reality that her 7-year-old son Evan — who no longer shows any signs of autism — may likely have lived with completely different illness.

A new article in Time magazine — which Jenny was interviewed for — suggests Evan suffers from Landau-Kleffner syndrome, “a rare childhood neurological disorder that can also result in speech impairment and possible long-term neurological damage.”

Many applaud Jenny, who has never stopped fighting to help her son since his autism diagnosis in 2005.  Others, like the Center of Disease Control, say her claims about immunizations make her “a menace to public health.”

Jenny talks about her son’s progress saying, “Evan couldn’t talk — now he talks. Evan couldn’t make eye contact — now he makes eye contact. Evan was anti-social — now he makes friends.  It was amazing to watch … when something didn’t work for Evan, I didn’t stop. I stopped that treatment, but I didn’t stop.”

And she is also reversing her initial position that the MMR shots caused Evan’s autism.  Jenny now says she wants vaccinations better researched — rather than getting rid of them altogether, as she previously promoted.  And though her son may never have had autism, Jenny insists, “I’ll continue to be the voice” of the disorder.

Jo

Posted at 8:25 PM on April 23, 2010

Just wanted to know if anyone actually read the report. The doctor who “diagnosed” Evan with LK is NOT Evan’s doctor! This is bogus news from a hollywood gossip site, come on, use critical thinking. Do you actually believe that a doctor that has never examined the boy, should be giving him a diagnosis???

peg dash fab

Posted at 8:57 AM on June 25, 2010

dr. bill frist diagnosed terry schiavo from the senate floor, so i guess anything is possible.

kit

Posted at 5:39 AM on December 10, 2010

Moms know their kids better than doctors. Doctors give bad advice every day… every mom has had a doctor give her some bogus advice. I hear it every day

ncwoman

Posted at 8:17 PM on April 13, 2010

I could not have said it better myself! My son has severe autism and we have spent thousands of dollar on every treatment in the book (chelation, etc.) plus a full year on the GF/CF diet. No answers. SOMETIMES THERE ARE JUST NO ANSWERS!! The only thing to do at that point is to 1) find out a way never to die or 2) hope there are kind, compassionate people around who understand how to work with severely autistic individuals. Even though I am all about puppies and butterflies, I want to punch the next person who suggests that a simple diet or supplement will cure my child. God bless the children it help, but remember there are those that are still left…. very autistic. Only compassion wil help then.

anaid

Posted at 2:40 PM on April 13, 2010

Maybe this was the reason why Jenny closed the school for children with autism. Since she thinks her son do not have autism, she doesn’t care for others. Maybe, the idea to “open” a new school would come when she would be “secure” for another kind of his disease. However, I really wish his son to be very healthy!

Margie

Posted at 1:58 PM on April 11, 2010

Here’s my two cents…I believe a lot of people (the press) reported/speculated for years that they thought John Travolta’s son Jett had Autism when in fact he probably had Landau-Kleffner Syndrome, the same disease as Jenny McCarthy’s son Evan probably has now. John and Kelly Travolta have avoided discussing their son’s medical issue for years because they are very private people until Jett died in the Bahamas one evening. Months later, John appeared on the Larry King Show and discussed Landau-Kleffner Syndrome and thought one of the causes was because of a chemical used to clean his carpets. He said he had his carpets cleaned all the time and he and his doctors thought that there was a correlation with the chemicals used to clean carpets. I think that that is a good possibility. They are saying today that you need to even watch how much you dry clean your clothes because of the chemicals used and come off the clothes into your skin. Food for thought!

AlexKenas

Posted at 1:20 AM on April 2, 2010

I am autistic and I cannot stand Jenny McCarthy nor any of her supporters. On her Opera interview, she claimed that her son was diagnosed in only 5 minutes. That would mean that the numerous tests and screenings that I had to go through for years were not taken. On her Larry King Live interview, she said that she did not know if autistic adults exist. That shows just how stupid she is. I wish that there could be a better way of describing her, but there really isn’t. I do not give a damn about vaccines as they have always been controversial. Idiots like her have turned autism awareness into celebrity gossip instead of providing the services that autistics require even as adults. Groups like Generation Rescue and Autism Speaks fearmonger and dehumanize autistics for money.

Nicky

Posted at 2:41 PM on April 7, 2010

TO AlexKENAS, do you have autism? what kind of autism? I’m really interested to know. I know several parents who had kids with autism, and they’re in despair because they think their kids would never be able to speak a coherent sentence… the kids are in the age range of 3 to 10 years old… Your writing called my attention, and I know these parents will be so happy to know their kids in the long run might end up communicate their thoughts as well as you do. Please respond!

Katelyn

Posted at 12:54 AM on April 8, 2010

I couldn’t have said it better myself

melanie

Posted at 5:14 AM on March 28, 2010

Jenny talks on Oprah about how her childs heart stopped and he convulsed on a number of occassions that scared the crap out of her. He went to the hosptial they told her it was epilepsy and she KNEW it was more than that. She fought to find out what it really was, she fought to save her sons life.
so learn the truth before you disparage her. Disgusting or not I believe Jenny really loves her son and would do anything for him.

Carol

Posted at 7:19 PM on March 20, 2010

I absolutely believe in a vaccine connection to a majority of cases of autism, particularly regressive autism. I DON’T believe, however, that Evan was ever autistic. I think Jenny the loud mouth took advantage of all of this in order to make lots of money. She is a no talent person who constantly looks for ways to make money, all of which were usually disgusting and low level. This woman makes me sick.

Lols

Posted at 8:32 PM on April 2, 2010

Um no. I am part of an autistic organization and most of us were born this way, and maybe you should read a little bit more about vaccinations as the stuff people claim that’s in vaccinations that causes autism, aren’t in CHILDHOOD vaccinations.

You can “believe” all you want. I live it every day.

Jena

Posted at 2:30 PM on April 11, 2010

The controversial vaccine stopped being administered (with mercury) over 10 years ago. Autism cases however only increased since. Logically, your claim doesn’t add up.

Cat

Posted at 3:00 PM on March 10, 2010

Landau-Kleffner syndrome IS a form of autism so NO SHE NEVER SAID her child “never had autism after all”. I don’tknow where the writer got that from as it’s certainly not in the original article.

the REAL question is “do vaccines cause Landau-Kleffner syndrome which is a form of autism?” course that didnt occur to the hack who bastardised the times article..

jcmum

Posted at 10:05 AM on March 12, 2010

the info I have read suggests it is NOT a form of autism, it is a related disorder (a child can have this condition and autism) this is from the Autism Research institute info page,
other pages say it is a form of childhood epilepsy accompanied by aphasia

Kent

Posted at 10:31 AM on March 20, 2010

Who told you that LK syndrome is a form of autism? That’s some of the most ignorant misinformed stuff I’ve read about autism.

This comment alone says we have a lot of work to do in the autism community to raise awareness.

Katelyn

Posted at 1:05 AM on April 8, 2010

We have SO much work to do. More people need to be informed about it. McCarthy may want to do more research.

You and jcmum are absolutely right in that LK syndrome is NOT a form of autism. It a typical misdiagnosis, but not on the spectrum. And for the record, there aren’t any studies or journal article on the relation between autism and vaccines. Aria below is right. Trust me, I am in grad school for Special Ed and I have read MANY articles. (For the record Jenny, your son was ASOCIAL before, not antisocial.. UG psych major) :)

Lin

Posted at 9:55 PM on April 9, 2010

Thank you, Katelyn! I am a nurse and have a psych degree from U of R, and you’re right, her son was asocial, not antisocial. Folks mix up those terms but there is a big difference.

I think Jenny McCarthy is a misinformed mother who was grieving the loss of the child she expected to have by lashing out at the medical community and promoting something that has absolutely no researched merit. The university I attended conducted extensive research regarding the correlation between vaccination and autism and there is not scientific evidence that autism is caused by vaccinations. As a health professional however I am dismayed that Ms. McCarthy continued for many years to advocate very vocally and with a lot of foul language that parents not vaccinate their kids. Does anyone know what can happen when a child comes down with measles? Or mumps? Or rubella? Any of the diseases they vaccinate for? Believe me, if parents stopped vaccinating their children, children would suffer needlessly, many might die, and we would suffer an a grave public health crisis.

Yes to the above, LK syndrome is not an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Aria

Posted at 2:26 AM on March 10, 2010

Christina, let me start off by saying we aren’t vaccinating our daughter. Now let me tell you that it’s a load of bunk that vaccines cause autism. The one study that found a correlation as been retracted by its authors as wrong. Yes vaccines can, and do, cause injury, but autism isn’t among them.

alice

Posted at 4:33 PM on March 6, 2010

Science changes constantly. Scientists are not God. Neither are doctors. Trust your own intellect, your own thoughts, your instinct. Do not be sheep.

Christina

Posted at 6:41 PM on March 4, 2010

First and formost, regardless of this issue, vaccines ARE harmful, they do trigger autism in children with the predispostion for it and they are full of harmful things. You will all find this out and eat crow someday. Hope your kids don’t suffer because of it.

tina

Posted at 3:50 AM on March 12, 2010

hey Christina. I have autism & guess what? It didn’t come from vaccines. My whole family has a GENETIC PREDISPOSITION to neurological disorders. It has been proven multiple times that vaccines do not cause autism, but NOT vaccinating your kids COULD cause them to die from something as stupid as the chicken pox! Irresponsible, ignorant person! I hope you don’t have kids…

Nicky

Posted at 2:46 PM on April 7, 2010

TO TINA: Do you have autism? what kind of autism? I’m really interested to know. I know several parents who had kids with autism, and they’re in despair because they think their kids would never be able to speak a coherent sentence… the kids are in the age range of 3 to 10 years old… Your writing called my attention, and I know these parents will be so happy to know their kids in the long run might end up communicate their thoughts as well as you do. Please respond!

marg

Posted at 8:46 AM on March 13, 2010

quote christina “…and full of harmful things…” now THERE’s an intelligent, well-thought out answer! Good grief Christina, you sound like the typical, uneducated, low income lemming. Get out of your trailer park often?

Lin

Posted at 10:03 PM on April 9, 2010

Christina, I urge you to do more research before you spew rhetoric like this. As a nurse I implore people to be informed of their choices, but do you have any idea what would happen if we stopped vaccinating children? And do you know that the rates of vaccine injury are actually extremely low? Do not believe everything you read in the popular media because it’s not scholarly and it’s quite possible that it’s not accurate. And unless you’re looking at information from government agencies such as the CDC or the Dept of Health and Human Services it’s possible that it’s not accurate.

Do some research. Talk to health professionals. Call your local Dept of Health. To say vaccines are full of harmful stuff indicates to me that you don’t really know what’s in them. And if you have kids, I implore you to reconsider your decision. I have two, and they’re vaccinated. Better yet, do a little research on the diseases they vaccinate for. I daresay you might change your mind.

Amber

Posted at 12:59 PM on March 3, 2010

My child has high-functioning autism. It is not easy and every day is a struggle. She hurts herself, hurts others, cries all the time, doesn’t talk a lot, won’t interact with people, has extreme phobias of many noises, can’t feed herself, flaps her arms and covers her ears all the time, has no sense of danger, etc. She is only 5 and it is only getting worse.

We also do not vaccinate our children. We quit vaccinating when our autistic child was 1 month old. We didn’t quit vaccinating because of a fear of autism, but of the chemicals and toxins that are in the vaccines. We did a ton of research and talked to specialists. Our pediatrician agreed completely. So, we quit.

Our daughter with autism always had a look to her. Her eyes were glossy, not focused, and would look past you (even as a baby). However, she was meeting all her milestones. At 3 she developed pneumonia and had a high fever. She went immediately to the hospital. The next day she was better. However, things weren’t normal. Slowly she started regressing, becoming anti-social, anti-touch, fearful, etc. She started getting sick all the time with random fevers and stomach problems (diarrhea)about 1 or 2 times a month. She still gets them. The doctors diagnosed her with autism last year. They can’t explain her fevers but says she has a low CBC count. It is not related to not vaccinating though. Even our new pediatrician (we moved) agreed that vaccinating her when she has is sick so much isn’t the best idea.

Vaccines can be dangerous and can kill. Do the research for yourself and don’t just listen to one side. I really believe that most (if not all) children with autism have a weak immune system like my daughter. Anything can trigger it in them and it may be vaccines, a bad illness, etc.

MLE

Posted at 3:42 PM on April 10, 2010

You know whats scarier and even more dangerous- the diseases those vaccinations protect us against.
Most of us haven’t seen these diseases in our lifetimes because of vaccinations. I have never seen someone suffering from polio, measles because they were eradicated because of vaccinations.
Yes, there are some with negative reactions, but you need to talk to your doctor as to risks or if your child shows any signs that might indicate a bad reaction (such as an allergy). Its called being pro-active, and it includes checking your family histories and testing for known genetic traits

Why hasn’t anyone suggested maybe its the food we are consuming, and the hormones they pump into livestock or pesticides on crops, or chemicals to induce flavor and smell? No, that’s too easy. Global warming must have something to do with it.

Steph

Posted at 6:55 PM on September 11, 2010

I’m nearly 21 years old and I have Asperger’s Syndrome and working towards an independent life (i am making good progress) and you’re telling me that your HFA daughter can’t even feed herself?
You sound just like all those parents who want their child to be “normal”.
Hell, I’ve had my doubts about my own condition (back when I was in school getting bullied because I attended a mainstream school for “normal” children.)
And what’s this about all people with Autism have a weak immune system? I’m an Aspie (which btw, AS is considered an ASD) and I rarely ever get sick!
Btw, most HFA people I know or have met can speak. what your daughter may have sounds like mid-functioning Autism.
It sounds to me like there’s a lack of acceptance going on here.
Tell me, would you love your daughter more if she were “normal”?

Adam

Posted at 11:16 AM on March 3, 2010

It’s nice that she’s changed her mind on this subject, but however will she clean all the blood off her hands?

mOmOfAuTiSm

Posted at 11:05 AM on March 3, 2010

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SO I SUGGEST YOU FIND A BETTER TOPIC ON YOUR LEVEL OF ABILITY. My son is high-functioning and he is in danger everyday. Do you know what that is like? when your child doesn’t understand what a car can do to him so he runs right in front of one to find out? oh, and let me mention his strength, we cannot just hold him down or keep him from running in front of that car. My child may be able to walk and not hand flap all day long but he can slice his finger half off and not feel a thing. Or how about when he is sick, and can’t tell me he feels well because he doesn’t know how he feels. He can’t make friends because he doesn’t understand how to communicate with them and they laugh. So what you think the difference between low and high functioning is and how it effects life in general, you have no clue. Because I was raised around low-fuctioning autism because I had an aunt adopt several children with autism. And I wish I could say my son had some of the understanding that they did because he is going to get himself killed one day. Does all of us a favor and SHUT UP until you know the facts.

Angie

Posted at 9:44 AM on April 7, 2010

I have a son who they have talked about PDD and aspbergers but not really given the diagnosis of it yet he is 7. He is very aggressive and impulsive. At the age of 4 he took a baseball bat and hit his 8 yr old brother across face and busted his mouth open and blood everywhere. I swear if you could have seen his face it was BLANK!!! Scared the hell out of me and he tried to do it again. He didn’t seem to realize that it hurt his brother. No remorse. He has burnt his self. He walked up to a friends kerosene heater even though we said it’s hot and touched it and burnt himself bad and never once cried or said ouch. He had blisters and still didn’t faze him. I caught him climbing light pole outside because he wanted to. He has run out into street before. He has meltdowns and cries and will tell you he doesn’t know why he is crying but can’t make it stop. They said he had ADHD and mood disorder. They started him on low dose of adderall. He is in constant state of motion and always fearful. Has poor social skills and very immature for 7 yrs. He does self stimming. He sucks his 3 fingers and rubs his nipple all the time and kids make fun of him.

Rachel

Posted at 10:04 AM on March 3, 2010

The problem was never with her passion, it was the way she created a distrust between parents and the very scientists trying to help them. So much time and money was spent on the MMR-autism link that could have been spent on more legitimate research. I always trusted her observations of her son — it was her interpretation of her observations that was questionable. That’s what we need legitimate scientists for.

Not a fan of Jenny

Posted at 8:17 AM on March 3, 2010

She needs to just go away. She is offending someone every single time she opens that too loud mouth of hers. Go away Jenny.

Eve

Posted at 8:54 PM on March 2, 2010

The real sadness here is that Mrs. McCarthy convinced many that with persistence, untested treatment, and the love of Jim Carey autism could be cured. Just look at all the progress her son made.

Autism cannot be ‘cured’ any more than Down’s Syndrom. I am happy for Evan, but this misdiagnosis and Jenny’s outspokeness lead to false hope for many families dealing with the reality of autism.

Alan

Posted at 7:32 PM on March 2, 2010

Well put, Nonny. In a meandering sort of way. And, of course, you are right. It is wrong to blame only Jenny for this. As you say, she thought she was doing the right thing at the time. We could just as easily blame the media or our own culture of fear.

Ultimately, everyone should take responsibility for their decisions and the information they use to come to them. Because of Jenny, my wife’s parents bullied us into changing our son’s diet to a gluten and dairy-free one, which did him no harm (and he quite likes it now), but some people have actually endangered their children’s lives by refusing vaccinations because of the disinformation Jenny McCarthy stirred up.

Kay

Posted at 12:35 PM on March 2, 2010

I would be careful if most people are swayed by what stars do or say. I would fight for what I beleive in. Not everyone has the same information and doesn’t know evrything. What might work for one person might not work for another. If Jenny was told by a docter her son had Autism would’t you beleive it was true. You can only dignose what simptoms a child shows. If a doctor isn’t up to date or if the symptoms are the same there is a chance the they could make a mistake.

Josh Burnaman

Posted at 10:58 AM on March 2, 2010

I wish I could express to Jenny how much grief she has caused my family and my son who is actually autistic. Her misguided idiocy convinced my parents we should “cure” his autism by simply changing his diet- like Jenny did with her son. I hope there is a special place in hell for B-list celebrities and their fad diets. And may the death of any child who did not get a needed immunization be on her head.

A Nonny Mouse

Posted at 3:20 PM on March 2, 2010

@Josh: Josh, I am very sorry for the suffering your family has experienced and I sympathize with your anger towards McCarthy; she inadvertently stirred up a lot of media attention for autistic children and their families and there are people in every community who got caught up in that kind of hype, for one reason or another.

To you, your family, and all of the other people affected by autism who have posted comments to this article, I ask that you please forgive McCarthy for her mistake, not because she doesn’t deserve your criticism – certainly she does – but because she is a parent, too, and I am sure that her son, Evan, is hurt by the way people talk about his mother now.

It is no one’s fault that he was sick, but the chances are good that he will blame himself for his mother’s distress because he can only understand so much; he will likely assume that it is because of his illness – and, therefore, because of *him* – that people are angry with his mother, no matter what anyone tells him.

McCarthy’s love for Evan motivated her to act, and to raise awareness for what she sincerely believed was a threat to the health of not only her child but of all children. A lot of people – including medical professionals who work with and study the condition – were inadvertently misled by Andrew Wright’s research and have since had to live with the realization that they were wrong.

I have witnessed educated people refusing immunizations for themselves and/or their children; who can begin to imagine, now, how they must feel when they realize that their children suffered for no better reason than bad science and a mistaken belief?

No one can be blamed for their humanity, whether they are wealthy doctors, Hollywood celebrities or everyday people – we’re all born and we all die, and in between we make a lot of mistakes. To suggest that one should blame someone for their good fortune when it comes is like saying an honest man should feel guilty that he doesn’t suffer like his neighbor just because they live next door to each other. Usually we don’t have a choice, we “play the hand we’re dealt”, as the saying goes, but it’s up to each of us to decide *how* we play those cards.

If it sounds like I am suggesting that one puts his or her faith in a higher power, let me clarify here that that is not my intention – personally I don’t believe in such things – but I do urge you to consider how pain is itself a virus: it is contagious and it thrives on suffering. We may not have the power to control who suffers from disease and who doesn’t, but we *do* have the ability to forgive one another, and thereby make it just a little bit harder for pain to find another victim.

Very Sincerely,
Nonny Mouse, A.
Ontario, Canada

replying to stupid comments

Posted at 5:31 PM on March 2, 2010

How stupid.

replying to stupid comments

Posted at 5:32 PM on March 2, 2010

even stupider

Anon

Posted at 5:10 PM on March 1, 2010

I wonder how many kids have autism AND got measles, mumps or rubella because of her.

replying to stupid comments

Posted at 5:31 PM on March 2, 2010

how stupid

ted

Posted at 3:19 PM on March 1, 2010

Before it was autism recovery and special diets, it was this: http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/archive/2007/04/15/indigos-crystals-jenny-mccarthy-what-s-the-deal.aspx

Elizabeth

Posted at 12:05 PM on March 1, 2010

I knew all along that he didn’t have Autism! My 1st son did and unfortunately, died at the age of 16. I know what Autism looks like. One of my other sons was a preemie and had an immune problem, he Developementally delayed and besides that he has Mental health illnesses also. Where is his help?? Oh, I forgot, I AM NOT A STAR, so no help here!!I will try to make him understand, that is why he can’t enough help!

Kay

Posted at 12:27 PM on March 2, 2010

You can go out and do something even if you’re not a star. Don’t whine about the problem because some star didn’t get it right. What I’m really tired of is people that think they need a star to give support to the cause. I had a freind and her sister had Autism. She thought that there wasn’t enough help for her sister. She went and made a non-profit place where families with children with Autism find resorces. She wasn’t a star. Go figure!

doggone it

Posted at 3:07 AM on March 1, 2010

Mebbe McCarthy is autistic.

Dennis Keim