Alex O’Loughlin Will Hang Ten As The Lead, Steve McGarrett, In The New ‘Hawaii 5-0’ TV Show Remake

Mon, February 22, 2010 5:10pm EDT by 10 Comments

Don’t you think it’s a totally tubular decision to cast Aussie hottie Alex as the lead when Hawaii gets a reboot this year?

A rep for Alex O’Laughlin confirms to HollywoodLife.com that the actor has landed the plum part of Detective Steve McGarrett when the iconic 70’s TV show gets a modern-day update on CBS this year.

Yippee! We’re stoked to see Alex back in action after his medical drama, Three Rivers, flat-lined in November. Until last week he and Nip/Tuck actor Julian McMahon, 42, were neck and neck for the role.

We’re confident that the Aussie hunk can handle his Hawaii 5-0 role, especially because we know he’s adept at playing super-sleuths. Who can forget his turn as vampire private eye Mick St. John in the short-lived (but utterly engaging) CBS drama Moonlight?

Alex will be joined on the North Shore when filming begins on location in Hawaii, is Lost‘s Daniel Dae Kim, 43, in the role of state police officer Chin Ho Kelly and Taryn Manning, 31, as Det. McGarrett’s sister, Mary Ann McGarrett.

And if you can’t wait for the Hawaii pilot to be released, well then, you’ll just have to get your fix when Alex stars as Jennifer Lopez’s love interest in The Back-Up Plan, which hits theaters April 23.

Rad.

MichaelC2B

Posted at 11:43 PM on March 12, 2010

I am so excited about this show. Alex O’Loughlin is perfect for the part and I just know that this will be a huge hit. While I am waiting to see H5-0, I will be there on opening day for The Back-Up Plan, 4/23/10 – that movie is going to be so funny and so much fun! I am already dying to have the DVD. I have everything else that Alex has done on DVD – yes, even TR – and I watch them over and over while waiting for new Alex stuff. Rock on, Alex O!

Marisa

Posted at 3:57 PM on February 23, 2010

Alex is an actor of huge talent and has already shown its versatility in many different roles, playing as police or as private investigator gave us two great contributions in The Shield and Moonlight, demonstrating his good work in roles of action, I am sure that Alex will shine as the wonderful actor who is, in this new series playing the role of Steve McGarret, just needs a good team around him and this seem that they have it already.
I’m looking forward to seeing him back on TV already very soon.

Elsie

Posted at 3:16 PM on February 23, 2010

Delighted that Alex has got this role, he will be perfect. The man is a great actor and it doesn’t hurt that he’s gorgeous! Way to go Alex!

crazy4alex

Posted at 7:18 AM on February 23, 2010

The decision to take Alex to the lead of Hawaii 5.0 has been the perfect choice.Alex is a very talented actor and he has been shown to play well the roles of police and detectives.Can not wait to see him on my TV as Detective Steve McGarrett.

Maureen

Posted at 9:29 PM on February 22, 2010

I’m so happy and excited that the gifted, charismatic and intelligent Alex O’Loughlin will be portraying detective Steve McGarrett on Hawaii Five-O. With the excellent team of writers, producers and cast (especially with Alex O’Loughlin playing the leading role), Hawaii Five-O will be very successful and a long running crime drama for the 2010-2011 television season. I can hardly wait to watch Alex on the new Hawaii Five-O.

Cindy R

Posted at 8:48 PM on February 22, 2010

Alex is soooo gonna rock as Steve McGarrett. I’m so glad he’s taking the role. Love this guy! OMG just LOOK at him!

Connie Northrop

Posted at 7:23 PM on February 22, 2010

I can’t wait to see this show. Alex has proven that he’s great in action shows (Moonlight and The Shield). The guy can even do his own stunts.

I’m sure he’s perfect for this role.

Caligurl

Posted at 7:09 PM on February 22, 2010

The chick from twilight in her second picture she looks so boared.. lOl

Rosa

Posted at 6:18 PM on February 22, 2010

I am thrilled to see that Alex will be playing the role of Detective Steve McGarrett , he will be fabulous in it!!
I can hardly wait !

alavenia

Posted at 5:51 PM on February 22, 2010

Yippee! you got that right, Alex was the perfect choice to play Steve McGarrett, he will be awesome!!