EXCLUSIVE! Jason Castro To Idol Hopefuls: 'Think Long And Hard About Your Song Choices!'

Fri, February 19, 2010 6:00pm EDT by 8 Comments
Getty Images

Getty Images

American Idol‘s top 24 contestants will start performing live in less than a week, and season seven’s Jason Castro has one piece of advice for them — pick the right songs.

Jason Castro, the hippy hottie from American Idol’s seventh season, says even though he placed fourth in 2008, he wouldn’t have changed a thing about his own performances. But there is one very important piece of advice he wants to give to this season’s Idol hopefuls as they prepare to go live: choose your sings wisely.

“Bounce ideas off people. Ask your friends, ‘Am I going to be an idiot if I do this or is it cool?'” the 22-year-old newlywed Dallas native told HollywoodLife.com exclusively Feb. 18 at FremantleMedia Enterprises, 19 Entertainment and Samsung’s American Idol Top 24 Semi-Finalist event in West Hollywood.

Famous for his rendition of “(What a Day for a) Daydream,” when he became the first Idol to ever use an instrument during a performance, Jason suggested contestants get creative with their musical choices.

“Really try to formulate the ideas around a song before selecting,” he said. “Ask yourself, ‘Can I do something cool with this?’ That’s probably the hardest part, picking the songs.”

We agree. Now, can someone please do something really cool with The Spice Girls? Please?

Who do YOU want to win this season of American Idol?

Get More On American Idol:

1. Watch Ellen’s First Night On American Idol
  2. Simon Cowell To Be Replaced By Howard Stern?
  3. Carrie Underwood: I Could Never Be A Diva

Barbara Hall

Posted at 2:35 PM on June 2, 2010

I think it’s interesting that some of the judges always told the contestants to always “be yourself”, yet when they picked a song they liked and wanted to do they more likely than not got a “you picked the wrong song.” I think the mixed messages were confusing…. for the younger ones especially. I’ve already gotten the American Idol season 9 CD and to be truthful the three that sound best on it to me are Casey, Aaron and Big Mike. The others I just forward through.

First_Marti

Posted at 5:27 PM on June 1, 2010

Bret Michaels should replace Simon.

Barbara Hall

Posted at 2:38 PM on June 2, 2010

I think you could be right. Bret Michaels would give a new dimension to the show and he could probably better relate to contestants like Casey James who I don’t think got a fair shake this season.

ebonyandivory

Posted at 1:06 PM on April 1, 2010

Love his music. Bought it. I didn’t think anyone could make Jason look bad in a photo, but this photographer sure did.

Barbara Hall

Posted at 2:39 PM on June 2, 2010

I liked Jason Castro and he was always himself, like Casey.

Catherine

Posted at 8:47 PM on February 23, 2010

I love him.
I’m happy he got married.

Barbara Hall

Posted at 2:40 PM on June 2, 2010

So am I and I heard recently that he is also a father now.

Megan

Posted at 2:30 PM on February 21, 2010

Who cares, i just care about Jason