I’m Thirty … And I Spent My Valentine’s Day With Justin Bieber!

Tue, February 16, 2010 1:21pm EDT by 9 Comments

Yeah, I rocked out with a roomful of tweens on the most romantic day of the year, and I’m proud of it!

I’m 30 and I spent my Valentine’s Day with Justin Bieber. Just got my hearing back too. And yeah, that means I felt old.

I mean, my very first concert was New Kids on the Block, back in the 80’s. The fangirls at the concert know them now as NKOTB – but only because of their recent cheesy jam ‘Summertime.’ I’m talking old-school New Kids, Hangin’ Tough or The Right Stuff. Yeah, see? Old.

But back to Biebs. Girls were wearing T-shirts with puffy paint (I did that too back in the day!) and held signs saying “JUSTIN WILL YOU MARRY ME?” One girl even passed out cold for a glimpse of the 15-year-old tween sensation.

I considered ear plugs, and should have gone with my gut instinct. My hearing isn’t what it used to be, after all. I tried to play nice though – I remember the excitement of seeing your favorite boy band for the first time, after all. I was once one of those shrieking girls myself. I’m still paying for it though – dearly.

I’ve never really followed his music, but when a friend invited me, I couldn’t refuse. It was Valentine’s Day, so let’s just say I did it in the spirit of love. My first impression when Justin rocked the stage is that he was a pint-sized Tower of Power. Many of the adults just laughed or froze in terror. I did both.

Tears fell from the eyes of panicked young women who threw stuffed bears and flowers. He threw his Yankees hat out to a mob of girls who fought for it for easily three minutes. As he moved on to the acoustic part of his set, we got to know a quiet, more thoughtful Justin. He sang a melody of “classic” Justin Timberlake and Usher‘s hits, U Got It Bad and Cry Me A River, in the honor of his mentors (whose music I actually dig). I shrugged, and thought, “Jeez, to him these songs are classics. To me it was only 2002.”

He sang his hit single, One Less Lonely Girl, to 14-year-old Emily, whom he brought onstage and gifted with roses. It must have been the moment of her life when he brushed his hand across her cheek (Now why can’t Ben Affleck do that for me, I ask you?!).

Speaking to Emily later, I was curious about her obsession. What does she see in him? “I just love him, he is so sexy!” she gushed. I was momentarily self-righteous. Does she know what means? Does it matter? Am I allowed to judge? The answer is ‘no’ all around. I was 14 once. Puppy love counts too, just not as much as the real deal. Trust me, I know. I’m 30. And yes, I do know that I keep on banging on about my age, but I’m trying to make a point here.

I’ve been trying to hold on to my 20s and was reluctant to let them go, so I should really thank Justin. What he’s done is helped me plant my feet firmly in my 30s. I simply appreciate him for bringing attention to the fact that I am officially, without a doubt, all grown up.

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Get More on Justin Bieber:

1. Geek Chic Glasses Look Cute On Justin Bieber!
  2. Justin Bieber Are You Getting A Ferrari For Your B-day?!

may nadi

Posted at 7:34 AM on April 9, 2010

what a lucky girl that emily is..i envy..i wish i could see him 1 day..i luv justin <3 i want him to follow me..i search everywhere that he could be..facebook,twitter,chacha,…etc..
i am crazy girl who wait 4 justin..TT.TT

AngelalovesJustin

Posted at 7:28 PM on March 10, 2010

Justin Drew Bieber,
I’m Angela, 16, & from the USA. I don’t think you have an idea of how much I love you. I would do anything in the world for you. Yes, I’ve tryed to meet you but that hasn’t happened yet, but hopefully it will someday. I have tried so many times for any contest to meet you & let me just tell you, me + you in the bahamas for a week = every girls’ dream. Yes Justin, I heard you’re taking one lucky girl to the bahamas…me (; I think that would be really nice. Anyways, I think I should probably stop type stuff before this becomes a book. Oh, and I think you should call me back because I’ve been waiting forever since my birthday (12.29).

Yep, I’ve waited almost 5 months for you to call back. Haha, email me & I’ll give you my number or message me on Twitter ( xoxilovehimxox )

Love Always,
Angela

lexy

Posted at 10:25 PM on February 26, 2010

hi jusin bieber call me at 571 481 6898

tara

Posted at 1:47 PM on February 19, 2010

Sweetie, New Kids on the Block fans know them as that. They had more than just a new “cheesey” song as you call it. An entire album of amazing new songs where they worked with artists such as Lady Gaga, Red One, and Akon just to name a few. Don’t isult without doing the research, it makes your writing seem even weaker.

Beth Rudkin

Posted at 4:14 AM on February 17, 2010

Loved your article, I’m 24 so this is how I would feel if I went to a JB concert! I think he’s great but I would fear for my life being surrounded by thousands of screaming girls.

By the way, I may not be pushing 30 just yet, but I do remember the original NKOTB. Never got to see them in concert though, too young (how ironic!)

I’m gonna go check out some more of your articles now, great read!

Beth Rudkin

brookelynn

Posted at 9:01 PM on February 16, 2010

hy this is justin bieber im your twin brotger.So u better send me a message back or bad things will happen.Tell Chritian Beatiles that brookelynnbut im not from NY or NYC.

mayra perez & veronica moreno

Posted at 4:04 PM on February 16, 2010

LOVE YOU JUSTIN. WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!IF YOU DON’T ANSWER I’LL LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CALL ME AT (317) 6523866 AND (317) 6272710 LOVE YOU I WON’T FREAK OUT!

mayra perez & veronica moreno

Posted at 3:58 PM on February 16, 2010

WE LOVE YOU AND YOUR OUR BOYFRIEND AND YOUR SO HOT!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU TEXT ME LATER.!!!!!

pat bateman

Posted at 1:54 PM on February 16, 2010

I felt stupider after reading this. I can assure you that you are going to be a cat lady.

Not to mention if a guy talked about how he went to a Miley Cyrus concert, he would be arrested.