HollyShocker! Katy Perry Was Meaner Than Simon Cowell on 'American Idol'

Wed, January 27, 2010 6:47pm EDT by 25 Comments
HollyShocker! Katy Perry Was Meaner Than Simon Cowell on 'American Idol'

Can you believe how harsh Katy Perry was last night on Idol? We’re personally pretty shocked she was ruder than King of Mean, Cowell

It’s rant time, my dear HollywoodLifers. And oh, I’m ready to let loose. Katy Perry played guest judge during the Los Angeles auditions for American Idol Jan. 26, and she may have been the biggest biatch I’ve ever seen. Kara DioGuardi was ready to drop kick the pint-sized rocker, and so was I. I mean, Katy even threatened to throw a Coke in Kara’s face — can you believe that? What a cow!

Let’s be honest, if you’re going to tell nearly every single Idol wannabe they “just aren’t ready yet,” you should probably be able to back it up with a little more than two famous pop songs. The way she was critiquing every person, you would have thought she was Madonna or J. Lo … certainly not a 25-year-old who’s biggest claim to fame is kissing girls and liking it.

Did you think Katy Perry was too hard on the wannabe Idols?

Watch the video below of Katy judging on idol!

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Read More About “American Idol”:

1. Simon Cowell Wants To Make Robert Pattinson A Rock Star!
  2. Ellen DeGeneres: I’ll Be Judging ‘Idol’ In My Pyjamas
  3. EXCLUSIVE! Taylor Hicks Warns This Season’s ‘American Idol’ Hopefuls: If You Use Your Cell Phone, You’ll Lose ‘Idol’

tellmemore

Posted at 8:04 PM on January 30, 2010

“All this conflict over Katy Perry of all people??” Hahahahaha. That’s what I was thinking! Kirstin, you’re doing a fine job and you don’t seem to let the trolls get you down. Clearly someone is feeling threatened by you and they’re awfully jealous. I for one keep coming back because I like your style :)

northernexposure

Posted at 8:22 PM on January 29, 2010

Yeah, I felt badly when she was so mean to the Pastor. It’s not her call to decide if someone can hack it or not (life on the road) – just whether or not their voice is good enough to move on to the next round.

Lola

Posted at 3:43 PM on January 29, 2010

You are so right. Katy Perry is a pretentious, pink cow. She always looks like she vomited up bubblegum. Why was she so cruel to all those contestants? It’s not like she’s some major talent. She’s just a dream crusher! Did you see what she said to the Pastor (who had an amazing voice PS) that she just didn’t think he could hack a life on the road. I mean, COME ON. He’s trying out for a singing competition – he obviously knows that if he wins he’s going to have to go on the road – or at least to Hollywood. Katy Perry can suck it. Here’s her new epithet: Katy Perry, Destroyer of Dreams

seattlite

Posted at 3:03 PM on January 29, 2010

Thank you for a well written defense of Kirstin, @angelfire! Kirstin is an outstanding writer and reporter and an innovative storyteller. Clearly she’s got the presence and skills to bring video to the site. Her background in both journalism and communication includes TWO degrees from one of the best schools in the country, not to mention she’s an accomplished entertainer with a long resume. Kirstin is clearly entertaining– why else would she consistently have #1 ranking stories? Get a grip, @obgyn, and get off your high horse. Maybe you should have listened to your own mother.

imbritneyb

Posted at 2:44 PM on January 29, 2010

All this conflict over Katy Perry of all people??

peanutmandm

Posted at 2:42 PM on January 29, 2010

angelfire, i totally agree. kirstin is totally charming, smart, and obviously a very talented reporter. if people don’t enjoy the video post GO TO ANOTHER WEBSITE!

angelfire

Posted at 2:09 AM on January 29, 2010

ObGyn: Stop being jealous. You’re being pathetic. And some quick googling suggests that Kirstin already has a Master’s Degree, so quit your complaining.

I said it before and I’ll say it again: Kirstin is the key to Hollywood Life going anywhere. She has a pretty capitivating video presence — she’s pretty, quirky (almost in a self-deprecating way), and she has a good eye for what kind of news to highlight in using the platform of HLife to authorize certain news items.

All of her video posts, or blogs, have risen to #1 on “most popular now on HL.” I’m guessing the criterion for “most popular” is the number of comments, and it isn’t even close, either, as the next most popular posts have half as many comments. At one point her quicktrim videos were 1,2, and 3 on the most popular list.

She has it, she attracts an audience to HollywoodLife, and she’s quickly becoming the reason for many people to frequent this site. At this point, it’s up to Bonnie to continue to give her carte blanche to do her thing and take this site to the next level along the lines of DListed, PerezHilton, etc. Bonnie, are you reading this?

seattlite

Posted at 12:25 AM on January 29, 2010

Once again you’re spot-on, Kirstin! She was just so negative all night. How about seeing potential in someone?! This isn’t the final round! I’d love to see more Kirstin rants.

tellmemore

Posted at 6:48 PM on January 28, 2010

I loved Neil Patrick Harris last night! He was great!

obgyn

Posted at 5:48 PM on January 28, 2010

Ignorance is to equate caustic or nasty with honesty.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Stop trying to be a star.
Write and entertain us, make us
laugh, make us think, but in the words of my mother,
don’t be a schlemiel.

joe2

Posted at 4:33 PM on January 28, 2010

To be a good judge and/or a qualified judge one does not need to be mean and nasty. Simon gets away with it because he’s Simon and everyone enjoys watching him. To say Ellen will be a waste of time because she isn’t as caustic is ignorant. Oh, and if you don’t like the video posts by the reporters on Hollywoodlife then quit watching and let the rest of us enjoy them without your petty comments.

nanlu

Posted at 11:05 AM on January 28, 2010

KATY PERRY IS REALLY FULL OF HERSEF….AND NOT MUCH TO OFFER……AND THE OTHER GUEST JUDGE COULD HAVE LOOKED LIKE SHE HAD CLEANED UP FOR THE JOB……DONT UNDERSTAND….SHE DIDNT HAVE MUCH TO OFFER EITHER……CANT WAIT FOR ELLEN

obgyn

Posted at 7:29 AM on January 28, 2010

I love Ellen but she is not going to tell those people the truth. Simon is the only one who is really honest.
It makes no sense to waste money on lessons, clothes, etc.,
if the person does not really have talent, or the look.
The look is important because there have been people who can act or sing, but are as ugly as a bulldog and it leads nowhere. You can have the nicest person in the world on that stage, but if they have no talent, you must tell them. So Ellen is going to be a waste of time because she will not tell it like it is.

obgyn

Posted at 7:19 AM on January 28, 2010

Oh Lord, another person working for a show or e-magazine
who wants to be in the spotlight. This girl is in desperate search of stardom. She reminds me of TMZ harvey, the little guy who wish he was a star so he talks about them.
This girl must get into a college and stay. Stardom is not coming her way. Bring me Mary Hart, please.

lkgarcia

Posted at 1:27 AM on January 28, 2010

I definitely would not expect Katy Perry to be mean! I did not watch the show last night, but she is a pretty successful pop star, and if she doesn’t think someone has the potential to become that too, then I think she should tell them. She could do that in a nice way, though…

northernexposure

Posted at 8:26 PM on January 27, 2010

Yay! Thanks so much @momoftwogirls ! Now I am curious as to who the other guest judges will be…Hope they’re good ones.

momoftwogirls

Posted at 8:20 PM on January 27, 2010

@northerexposure: I just did some googling and it looks like Ellen won’t come on the show until Hollywood week which starts Feb. 9th. Only two more weeks!

northernexposure

Posted at 8:04 PM on January 27, 2010

@momoftwogirls…when or if you find out when Ellen starts judging, will you please post it here for the rest of us? Can’t WAIT for Ellen! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!! Although, I really miss Paula :(

Dr. Josie

Posted at 6:37 AM on May 4, 2012

I am with you. I really missed my Paula. Is there a way that she can be back as just to this American Idol?

tellmemore

Posted at 8:00 PM on January 27, 2010

Katy Perry is gorgeous, but her attitude surprised me! She and Russell make a fine (cynical) pair! Avril didn’t thrill me much either. If we have any more guest judges to watch, let’s hope they are more interesting than those two.

momoftwogirls

Posted at 7:59 PM on January 27, 2010

Does anyone know when Ellen is going to join the show?

shakeyourpeaches

Posted at 7:46 PM on January 27, 2010

I tuned in half way through and I couldn’t even recognize her at first! She looks so different with the soft and sweet look.

xoxocardinal

Posted at 7:14 PM on January 27, 2010

She was so ridiculous. But at the same time, producers probably asked her to act like that. Kara and Katy both suck, but at least Kara has a little bit more experience. Katy should go back to shopping for vintage furniture with her nasty fiancee.

jennabella

Posted at 7:08 PM on January 27, 2010

The fact that Katie Perry is even a judge on Idol is laughable. I have yet to see her give a semi-decent performance. She CANNOT sing. So the fact that she was criticizing others for their inabilities is rediculous. Kara should have thrown the Coke.

JAB

Posted at 6:52 PM on January 27, 2010

Didn’t watch it but would not consider Katy Perry to be the “go-to” person for musical critiques.