How romantic! Josh surprised Fergie with a vow renewal ceremony this weekend. Would YOU re-commit to your spouse?
Have you ever thought about renewing your wedding vows with your the love of your life? Josh Duhamel and Fergie did just that last weekend—Josh whisked the pop star away on a surprise trip to Santa Barbara, CA for an ultra-romantic sunset ceremony on Jan.6.
“Some people do it after there’s been a strain on a marriage, like infidelity, illness, or death,” says Sarah Harrison, senior editor of YourTango. A wedding vow renewal ceremony is “an affirmation of love and commitment.”
Sounds like Josh and Fergie started the new year off right! Only two months ago, a stripper in Atlanta, GA sold her story to the National Enquirer, claiming that Josh cheated on the pop singer — a claim that Josh has denied. In response to the allegations – Josh and Fergie , have been spotted out and about looking super close, most recently on New Year’s Eve where they were caught engaging in some major PDA.
Do you want to be like Josh and Fergie, and renew your vows with your spouse? There are many reasons why couples take the plunge again, Sarah explains. “People do it on special anniversaries, say, 25 or 50 years together, or after big life events like becoming an empty-nester.”
Couples also renew vows to “formalize an elopement that they had the year before,” says Anja Winikka, editor of TheKnot.com. Anja explains that other second-timers use the opportunity to have more lavish affairs than they could afford the first time around.
So you think it sounds fabulous, but how do you start planning? Sarah explains, “ Some people plan a big party almost like a second wedding, while other people prefer to make it more private, with just family or close friends present. People get very creative”
In other words—anything goes! Here are some tips from Sarah and Anja on planning your own re-commitment ceremony:
- It’s not a legally binding ceremony, so you can get anybody you want to officiate. Think: mentor, grandparent, or very close friend.
- Wear something you love. You don’t have to wear white — you can wear anything! Use it as an excuse to get a killer new designer dress.
- Invite your original bridal party. They won’t play a role this time, but you can give them front-row seats to bring back fond memories of wedding number one.
- Exchange a new set of rings, or revamp the old. Anja says, “A bride on our message boards told us she and her hubby engraved ‘I Love You, Pt. II’ on the inside of their wedding bands.”
- Ask friends who have known you as a married couple to make toasts.
- Display photos documenting the milestones of your marriage.
- Heed the one major DON’T: Do not register for gifts. You already have a complete set of china, you don’t get another one!
What a grand romantic gesture! What do you think? Would you ever consider doing it?
More on Fergie and Josh Duhamel:
Aww Fergie & Josh Duhamel Renewed Their Wedding Vows!
Fergie & Josh: Now That’s How Your Ring in the New Year!