Have you ever refused to let go of a ruined relationship? If so, stop fighting it — sometimes you just need to let go.
Dear Robert Kardashian, when we saw you on the Jan. 3 episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, we couldn’t help but feel sorry for you. You clearly aren’t dealing too well with losing your ex-girlfriend, Cheetah Girl singer Adrienne Bailon.
Although the split may have been your fault (and by may, we mean — it was ALL your fault after you admitted you cheated), we still feel bad for you. Watching you leave all those pathetic voicemails while your eyes welled up with tears as you said “She was THE ONE” was really touching.
So we thought we’d help you deal with this tough time by reaching out to relationship expert Maryanne Comaroto , who can help you discover that, yes, there really is life after breakups! Here are her five tips for you — and for anyone else out there who’s going through a bad breakup this early in the New Year:
1. “First of all, he needs to ask himself if he’s really ready to get over [the relationship]. Are you really willing and ready to let go? If it’s meant to be, it’ll come back. If you really love someone, let it go.”
2. “Comfort yourself with things that are healthy for you. This can be hanging out with good friends, going to music events, whatever you’re into. Reclaim the things you might have dropped when you were in that kind of obsessive relationship.”
3. “Remember that the most immature love is objective love. We think, ‘Oh, this person just completes me.’ That’s an addiction. The definition of real love is ‘I want what you want for yourself. I want you to be happy.'”
4. “A man loves to be committed to something bigger than himself. If he lost touch with that [during the relationship] it’s time to refocus on what you’re doing here on the planet. What is your purpose? Where can you refocus your energy?”
5. Go out on other dates! “I highly recommend companionship, but keep your eyes wide open. In other words, don’t replace one obsession with another. And be honest with that person and let them know you’re just getting out of a relationship but you’re ready to have fun and enjoy yourself!”
Get More on the Kardashians: