Happy New Year! Time to make some major beauty changes!
Even as a beauty editor I don’t totally have my beauty game on point just yet. I try, I really try to use all the great tips I share with you but sometimes, like you, I’m too lazy or stubborn to use them. So, for 2010, I’m setting some goals and sticking to them.
- I will stop abusing my skin. Ok, TMI time. I poke at and pick my face. A lot. Damn you, magnifying mirror! And after I pick, I use peels. Lots of burning, tingling peels. In fact, at this very moment, I’m nursing a sweet patch of dry, over-chemical peeled skin. Why do I do this? Because I’m impatient. If I see a blemish I want to obliterate it immediately with all sorts of drying, irritating products. But no more, I will let my skin rest, I will moisturize it well and I will walk around with a pimple if it means not ruining the rest of my skin.
- I will avoid the temptation to tan. I am a sunscreen-aholic. I wear it all the time no matter what the weather or time of year. I wear 70 SPF at the beach when my peers are slathering on oil. I preach on my sunscreen soapbox to my friends and readers about the destructive effects of the sun: the cancer, the aging, the burns. I douse my pale body in self-tanner year round and am perfectly content with my artificial bronze. Until that is, I hit a tropical beach. Something about the crystal waters, umbrella drinks and thatched-roof cabanas makes me forget all my convictions. It just feels so good to lay out and have bathing suit tan line competitions. But not this year. No! I will NOT lay out, I will NOT get a real tan!
- I will actually use hair products. Remember when I said I was lazy? I wasn’t kidding. I don’t use hair products. I have a whole shelf of beautiful, efficacious spritzes, mousses and creams in my bathroom that get used once and never again. Honestly, how long does it take to spray in some volumizer before a blow out? Two seconds tops. I will take that two seconds and reap the voluminous, bouncy, shiny benefits. Look out for my enviable hair in 2010!
- I will shake up my shadows. My eye shadow routine is the equivalent of wearing a boring brown sack to work every day. Beige all over, dark brown in the crease, coffee-colored liner. I’m falling asleep just thinking about it. Sure, it looks pretty and is anytime appropriate but boy, is it boring. This year, I vow to mix things up. How about a little lavender, plum or navy every once in a while? I won’t be throwing out my “uniform” any time soon but I vow to experiment just like I tell you to!
- I will channel my inner Kim Kardashian. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from Kimmy K, it’s that every moment in life is a beauty opportunity. I have NEVER seen this girl look bad. She wears fake lashes while eating noodles in bed for Pete’s sake! No, I won’t be going that far. But, I will think twice before I leave the house with my hair in a bun for the fourth day in a row. And, I’ll take that extra minute to fill in my brows and add a bit of highlighter to my brow bones. I’ll pick up the gloss instead of the lip balm and I’ll line my lids with care. Thanks, Kim, for being my 2010 beauty inspiration! - Marta Topran