Don’t be tempted to spoil your nephew just yet! We’ve got a few tips from an expert on how you two can do aunt-ing the right way.
Like any other first-time aunts, Kim and Khloe Kardashian can’t contain their excitement. Since big sis Kourtney gave birth to a baby boy on Dec. 14, their natural inclination has been to spoil nephew Mason Dash Disick rotten. But before they do, the reality sisters needs to take some advice from SavvyAuntie.com founder Melanie Notkin on what they should and shouldn’t do.
1. Get ready for waterworks. “What happens most of the time is that aunts can’t get enough of their nephew, but don’t forget he may not stop crying,” says Notkin. If this happens, don’t panic. Instead, “hold him close to your skin and that will really soothe him, especially if Kourtney’s not around.”
2. Keep in touch. With Kim and Khloe’s busy schedules, they’ll no doubt be on the road and away from Mason, but that doesn’t mean they still can’t bond with him. “They should try video chatting or even just a phone call so baby Mason can hear Kim and Khloe’s voices. He’ll start to recognize them.”
3. Don’t go crazy with gifts. “A baby will not know if he you’ve spent $10 on a gift or $1,000.” On the other hand, “there’s no such thing a spoiling a child too much with love.” And, adds Notkin, accept the fact that Mason may eventually have a favorite auntie.
4. Sign a peace treat with Scott (especially you, Khloe!). “Mason is here and regardless of how he got here, the priority is to make sure Kourtney has all the support she can get. This can include not fighting with Scott,” Notkin says of Khloe’s feud with Kourt’s baby daddy. “It’s not good for Kourtney or for the baby. Being aggressive is not going to help.”
5. Last but definitely not least, Kourtney comes first! “Don’t ignore the mom!” says Notkin. “Kim and Khloe have to be there for her when she needs them. They need to remember to be a sister first and then an aunt.”
Get More on the Kardashians: