With family, friends and (boy?)friend Aussie actor Liam Hemsworth by her side, Miley Cyrus kicked off her b-day celebration early at a surprise ’80s-themed party in N.Y.C. last week.
The tween star, whose actual birth date is Nov. 23, took in a performance by the cast of Rock of Ages (including former American Idol and enjoyed a custom-made vanilla cake designed by TLC’s Cake Boss star Buddy Valastro in the Canal Room.
Based on these photos, Miley, we’ll assume you had a blast at the bash, but let’s also look back at the past 12 months — you’ve definitely had your share of ups and downs.
Sure you live the charmed life of a Disney starlet, but there were times this past year when sixteen was anything but sweet for you. As you mark the big one-seven today, we’re taking a look back at the good times — and the bad ones. What a year it’s been!
- You kicked your sixteenth year off right with an incredible party at Disneyland! And we forgive you for celebrating more than a month early (the party was held on Oct. 5!)
- You had the No. 1 movie at the box office, Hannah Montana: The Movie, in early April. It took in $34 million in its first weekend alone!
- You teamed up with designer Max Azria to create a clothing line sold at Wal-mart. Cute outfits at affordable prices? Well done!
- You got yourself a hot new man! You and Liam have gotten real close since you filmed The Last Song in Georgia this past summer. Seriously, Justin who?
- Your song “Party in the USA” was one of the biggest anthems of the summer! People all over the world were moving their hips “like yeah” to your chart topper.
- You were sued in February over a photo of you and your friends making potentially offensive faces. The case was thrown out, but you should really be more careful!
- You got some unwanted attention in early August from a stalker, 53-year-old Mark McLeod. Fortunately he was caught and thrown behind bars!
- You stirred up controversy (yet again) when you pole danced at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards on Aug. 9. Even if it was all in good fun, you definitely got a few parents riled up!
- You ticked off quite a few Twitter users when you decided to ditch the social networking site. You know, it’s never too late to hop back on the bandwagon!
- Your year took a tragic turn when your tour bus crashed outside of Richmond, Va., on Nov. 4, killing your driver. Thank God you weren’t on board!